Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Ikea Metod high cabinet as standalone unit - advice pleae

• 10-07-2020 7:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,510 ✭✭✭

I've already bought the above and put it together but not using it yet. The legs on it are towards the back and the front has no support. Now this is no problem if you're attaching it to the rail on the wall for an Ikea kitchen but we bought this as a pantry cupboard.

It will be standing with it's back to the side panel on our current kitchen. This is not strong enough hold it on it's own.

I'm going to strengthen the side panel with some L brackets to the wall but I don't want that to take all the weight of the cabinet especially when the doors are on, so was going to build a base and not use the legs.

I'll need to screw this to a tiled floor and screw the cabinet to the base.

Does this sound ok? I'll drop into into DIY store tomorrow and see what I can get.

Any tips or advice on the above?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,173 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

pictures please
    might be easier just to add legs to the front, or make a base for it

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,510 ✭✭✭Wheety

pictures please
    might be easier just to add legs to the front, or make a base for it

This is the cabinet. It's tall (200cm), shallow (37cm) and wide (80cm). So it's quite unsteady as is. But it fits exactly where we want it.

VoBSH07.jpg?1

I'm not sure if it shows clearly here but there's a bigger gap at the front of the legs than at the back. With doors on, it would just topple forward. They're the only holes for the legs as they just slot in to pre-drilled holes.

iGwbsRe.jpg?1

These are the legs we bought
    https://www.ikea.com/ie/en/p/metod-leg-40205599/

I found these after
    https://www.ikea.com/ie/en/p/capita-leg-stainless-steel-30244346/
    I'm not sure if they just go into the same holes or if they can just be screwed into the 4 corners.

This is the end panel which the cabinet could be screwed into. I will screw the end panel to the fridge cabinet first.

brCQAjA.jpg?1

This is the side panel from above the new cabinet. I was thinking of getting some L brackets and attaching it to the wall to stabilise it.

pjctERs.jpg?1

This is looking down from the top of the side panel. I will add a couple of L brackets on the inside too.

dLvUsHX.jpg?1

I was thinking of not using the legs, making a base out of 2"x 4" and screwing the base to the tiled floor and the cabinet to the base. This in conjunction with the side panel should hold it up?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,921 ✭✭✭whizbang

You dont need to fix it to the floor., In fact i would definitely not.

The side panels are the main weight bearing parts; Those legs dont do it for me as I wouldnt think the base panel is strong enough to hold the sides up.
    Defo use the 2x4 as a base, make sure the sides of the cabinet rest on it, and then a couple of screws into the base. Base will have to be levelled off pretty well.

A couple of L brackets to the side panel, but you are going to have to fit a couple of brackets from the side panel to the wall also. If you are really concerned, put a cross brace on top of existing cabinets, from outside edge back.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

what about these legs?
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B0753G5D9W/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

They have adjustment in them and you could screw them in to your own holes, just make new ones

Would you be able to turn it 90 deg and face the front into the room ?
    It might be more practicle and look better, put your door hinge then on the left

You could then put a horizontal batten to the wall behind it maybe 1ft up off the ground and maybe another horizontal one 1ft down from the top and screw the back of the metod to them. Or put 2 vertical ones (approx 1.8m long) from bottom to top on the left and right and screw into that

Might depend on what the back is made of and how its attached, if its just thin board nailed on, scrap that idea

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

Lex Luthor wrote: »

Might depend on what the back is made of and how its attached, if its just thin board nailed on, scrap that idea

Back is generally Fibreboard in Metod cabinets. About the same structural value as a Kleenex.

• Advertisement

Graham wrote: »
    Back is generally Fibreboard in Metod cabinets. About the same structural value as a Kleenex.

thought as much

was just looking for an idea that might secure it without the need for L brackets which can be unsightly if they are visible

You could get a load of Mitre Fast glue and use that to glue the back of the metod to the fridge. Mitre Fast is ridiculously strong glue, so you may then face the issue of, if someone pulls at the unit, the unit might fall, but the back of it will still be stuck to the side of the fridge.

Alternatively, L brackets running along the bottom and top of the unit, where they won't be seen.

You could get a load of Mitre Fast glue and use that to glue the back of the metod to the fridge. Mitre Fast is ridiculously strong glue, so you may then face the issue of, if someone pulls at the unit, the unit might fall, but the back of it will still be stuck to the side of the fridge.

Alternatively, L brackets running along the bottom and top of the unit, where they won't be seen.

I'd prefer the L brackets even though they can be seen to glueing the back to the cupboard

I grabbed some wood in B&Q and will make a base. This will be screwed into the wall and the bottom to the side panel on the current kitchen.

I'll use some brackets to secure the side panel to the wall too and at the top will put one on both sides. Currently it's not secured to anything. I'll see it I can also brace the side panel to the wall on the other side other fridge (behind it). There's a gap there as the fridge is brought forward to be in line with the kitchen cabinets, which are in the extension.

Screwing the base of the cabinet into the new wooden base and also using the brackets that come with the Ikea cabinet into the side panel should make it sturdy enough.

Now I just need to figure out how to cut the wood straight. It's only 4 pieces so might be expensive hiring a mitre saw.

just use a hand saw

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,833 ✭✭✭daheff

The legs are situated where they are so a kickboard can go at the front of that unit.

Looks to me that where you have attached the unit to the side of the fridge Top box is as good as you will fix it.

It's not made to be fitted where you are wanting to put it.

Aldi doing L brackets on Sunday in various sizes

daheff wrote: »
    The legs are situated where they are so a kickboard can go at the front of that unit.

Looks to me that where you have attached the unit to the side of the fridge Top box is as good as you will fix it.

It's not made to be fitted where you are wanting to put it.
    Yeah, it's made to go on the rail and be a part of a kitchen with other cabinets.

Will try the base idea tomorrow and will use some L brackets to make that old side panel more secure to the wall. Then screw the top of the new cabinet to it through the normal screw holes. I think that should make it sturdy.

• Registered Users Posts: 18 Ceady

Can you send me the link for this cabinet 200x37x80, do they have them in 200*60*80 I have searched and can't find them. Thanks
    Wheety wrote: »
    This is the cabinet. It's tall (200cm), shallow (37cm) and wide (80cm). So it's quite unsteady as is. But it fits exactly where we want it.

VoBSH07.jpg?1

I'm not sure if it shows clearly here but there's a bigger gap at the front of the legs than at the back. With doors on, it would just topple forward. They're the only holes for the legs as they just slot in to pre-drilled holes.

iGwbsRe.jpg?1

These are the legs we bought
    https://www.ikea.com/ie/en/p/metod-leg-40205599/

I found these after
    https://www.ikea.com/ie/en/p/capita-leg-stainless-steel-30244346/
    I'm not sure if they just go into the same holes or if they can just be screwed into the 4 corners.

This is the end panel which the cabinet could be screwed into. I will screw the end panel to the fridge cabinet first.

brCQAjA.jpg?1

This is the side panel from above the new cabinet. I was thinking of getting some L brackets and attaching it to the wall to stabilise it.

pjctERs.jpg?1

This is looking down from the top of the side panel. I will add a couple of L brackets on the inside too.

dLvUsHX.jpg?1

I was thinking of not using the legs, making a base out of 2"x 4" and screwing the base to the tiled floor and the cabinet to the base. This in conjunction with the side panel should hold it up?

Advertisement