Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Velux - Driving me mad. Alternative?

• 07-07-2020 10:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,482 ✭✭✭

I have 4 velux and they are driving me insane.
    Its as if they are open all the time and yet they are not.
    I think its this "trickle Vent" sh1t that I never signed up for.
    They are closed.
    They are square.
    They are under 4 years old.

I was thinking about completely getting rid of them and getting a fixed skylight in one area.

I was wondering would it be also sensible to replace them with something else?
    Another brand of window and if so what.

I have two Daxtra in the attic and these do not leak air at all.

The heating is literally flowing out the velux and it is a real problem.

One was so bad above the couch, I got up and duct taped it to stop me going mad in the mean time.

Advice appreciated.

PS - forget getting who installed them/builder to come back. He and that ship have long sailed. Thanks

Comments

• Subscribers Posts: 40,947 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

The trickle vent is not an air "leak"... It's deliberate and required.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,569 ✭✭✭Yellow_Fern

sydthebeat wrote: »

Trickle vents may be required, but there is always other options and although there is logic to them, there a pretty bad solution.

OP, is the draughtness that botherers you or is the house just generally getting cold too quickly?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,482 ✭✭✭JG009

Its more like a river and not a trickle tho.

Trickle vents may be required, but there is always other options and although there is logic to them, there a pretty bad solution.

OP, is the draughtness that botherers you or is the house just generally getting cold too quickly?

Its probably more that I can feel it on my head and legs.

I'm assuming (maybe wrong) I'm losing massive heat from these spots.

Two velux in sitting room and one in kitchen next door and one in bedroom next door.

JG009 wrote: »
    Its probably more that I can feel it on my head and legs.

I'm assuming (maybe wrong) I'm losing massive heat from these spots.

Two velux in sitting room and one in kitchen next door and one in bedroom next door.

Have you any other means of permanent ventilation in each room?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,583 ✭✭✭chooseusername

Its more like a river and not a trickle tho.

Silly question maybe, but is the window closed properly?
    ie; is the ventilation flap activated properly?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y9GEioQj1Yo

Silly question maybe, but is the window closed properly?
    ie; is the ventilation flap activated properly?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y9GEioQj1Yo

Yep. It's the same thing on 4 windows so its likely the design than the flap being left open.

Have you any other means of permanent ventilation in each room?

Yep

Yep

if you can describe it or photo it that would help.

if you can describe it or photo it that would help.

Most rooms have wall vents.
    The big sitting room + kitchen does not tho, does the kitchen extractor fan count. That goes out the wall.

• Advertisement

Most rooms have wall vents.
    The big sitting room + kitchen does not tho, does the kitchen extractor fan count. That goes out the wall.

no it doesnt count

so are you saying the sitting room and kitchen have no other means of ventilation, but the bedroom does?

how about a pic of the velux vent please, and also a pic of the bedroom vent.

no it doesnt count

so are you saying the sitting room and kitchen have no other means of ventilation, but the bedroom does?

how about a pic of the velux vent please, and also a pic of the bedroom vent.

No fixed vent in kitchen or sitting room.
    Two velux and big slider door.

Other vents are 4 inch roundy ones. Im not at house yet but same sort of ones as google pics returns.

• Registered Users Posts: 269 ✭✭Feets

Could there maybe be a recall on that window if its faulty? Then maybe u skip that middleman?

Feets wrote: »
    Could there maybe be a recall on that window if its faulty? Then maybe u skip that middleman?

Its possible just a deliberate trickle vent and not a fault. hard to say

This still driving me insane lads. What are my options. Id nearly get rid of roof windows altogether at this point.

This still driving me insane lads. What are my options. Id nearly get rid of roof windows altogether at this point.

post some pics and people might be able to advice. replacing a window isnt a cheap option, but if its annoying and they are trickle vent you you could just tape them closed easily until you have a long term solution, as long as you vent your house sufficiently. No maybe its not trickle vents, cant say without pics.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭Casati

post some pics and people might be able to advice. replacing a window isnt a cheap option, but if its annoying and they are trickle vent you you could just tape them closed easily until you have a long term solution, as long as you vent your house sufficiently. No maybe its not trickle vents, cant say without pics.

Velux windows four year old should not leak air. The trickle vent is a simple open or close option operated by the top bar - this is the same for top pivot or centre pivot windows. My guess is that the window is not at fault but rather the quality of fitting them. If they are fitted badly you can have loads of air coming in from around the frame

A leaky window is not a substitute for a proper air vent in a room, so if you have no other room ventilation then you should look into this separately

• Registered Users Posts: 269 ✭✭Feets

Silly question but do they close fully? Ours takes two clicks to shut?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,583 ✭✭✭chooseusername

Yep. It's the same thing on 4 windows so its likely the design than the flap being left open.
    It's unlikely to be the design.
    More likely faulty installation, or dare I say it - operator error.

Advertisement