Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Best dog food

Options
  • 04-07-2020 2:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 32

Hi, we adopted a 9 month old puppie recently he was being fed SuperValu dry food when we got him and he eats it but we'd like to move him onto something else better for him.

He is a black Labrador. He weighs 20kg, we were looking at Royal canin but we just can't afford a food of that price range.

Someone recommended to us if our budget didn't go as far as Royal Canin then switch to Madra and add in a tin of tuna, salmon or sardines would be better than the middle range feeds. I don't know enough to know if this is good or bad advice.

So could someone please recommend a dry food for roughly €20 to €35 per 15kg.

Thanks in advance.

Comments

Hi, we adopted a 9 month old puppie recently he was being fed SuperValu dry food when we got him and he eats it but we'd like to move him onto something else better for him.

He is a black Labrador. He weighs 20kg, we were looking at Royal canin but we just can't afford a food of that price range.

Someone recommended to us if our budget didn't go as far as Royal Canin then switch to Madra and add in a tin of tuna, salmon or sardines would be better than the middle range feeds. I don't know enough to know if this is good or bad advice.

So could someone please recommend a dry food for roughly €20 to €35 per 15kg.

Thanks in advance.

Why change him? If he’s thriving and behaving normally, I’d leave well enough alone.

I’ve have greyhounds and feed my retirees Gain maintenance. I also fed it to my terriers. It’s around €15 for a 15k bag, but might not suit your lad. They do other dog foods at around €20 for a 15k bag.

• Registered Users Posts: 32 Martin_B1886

Why change him? If he’s thriving and behaving normally, I’d leave well enough alone.

I’ve have greyhounds and feed my retirees Gain maintenance. I also fed it to my terriers. It’s around €15 for a 15k bag, but might not suit your lad. They do other dog foods at around €20 for a 15k bag.

I don't really know if he is thriving he wasn't very well looked after before us and we want to give him the best we can.

We brought him to the vet for a full check up and asked about his flatulence the vet checked his bowel and said there was hard stools in there so he wasn't concerned about the food and gave some pro-biotics.

I was looking at the Gain but my issue is the little bit of reading I've done said to look for meat first and Gain meat isn't first so I was unsure if it's actually better than the SuperValu stuff or I'm just paying for the name.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭smilerf

Change him. It will cause problems in long run
    Skinners from amazon is good and good value

smilerf wrote: »
    Change him. It will cause problems in long run
    Skinners from amazon is good and good value

Thank you, I will look into them. What about the red mills range has anyone used that? The engage or leader?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 190 ✭✭Febreeze

If you want to go cheap and cheerful and watch the pennies then Lidl do a great range of dog foods.

€8 for a 4kg and then you can get a large tin with beef and gravy or chicken and gravy and mix it in.

I used to mix the tins with the dried food but I'm pretty sure I was over feeding the poor dog so I stayed with the dried food and she loves it all the same plus, I've notice she isn't as chubby. Honestly my own fault.

The 4kg bag will last me 2 weeks, it should be less but I will admit I've often given her left overs from my food. I'm going to get hounded for this and I know it's against what dogs should eat but the poor thing does be sat waiting for me to get home from work and her poor little face but I do get my monies worth

• Advertisement

Febreeze wrote: »
    If you want to go cheap and cheerful and watch the pennies then Lidl do a great range of dog foods.

€8 for a 4kg and then you can get a large tin with beef and gravy or chicken and gravy and mix it in.

I used to mix the tins with the dried food but I'm pretty sure I was over feeding the poor dog so I stayed with the dried food and she loves it all the same plus, I've notice she isn't as chubby. Honestly my own fault.

The 4kg bag will last me 2 weeks, it should be less but I will admit I've often given her left overs from my food. I'm going to get hounded for this and I know it's against what dogs should eat but the poor thing does be sat waiting for me to get home from work and her poor little face but I do get my monies worth

Yeah it's hard to say no sometimes. They are master manipulators.

My issue with Lidl is the same as SuperValu I am a new dog owner only a week in and people are throwing all kinds of advice at me but the biggest issue anyone had was the food he is on which is still the food we were given with em.

We had German Shepherds for years but they were fed similar to how you feed your guy was never a problem I didn't realise it was such a big part of them.

The dog is getting walked maybe even excessively for his age but is very well behaved we've two young children and he is gentle and calmer with them than with us.

I have been feeding twice a day his recommended allowance so I hope he doesn't gain weight I know it's an issue with Labs so I'm cautious of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭pinktoe

Where are you pricing your food? Zooplus is cheaper than a pet store.

Going by reviews Royal Canin doesn't score great for the price. Eukanuba is cheaper with good reviews. €50 delivered for 18kg, above budget I know.

For a 35kg GSD a 12kg bag of red mills lasts about 6 weeks with either an egg or a can of mackeral/sardines mixed in for her coat each day, so I'd imagine you'd get at least 2 months with the same size bag for a lab. Normally €46 or so from petworld I think but you'll randomly get €10 off at certain times a year and your 10th bag free.

The better the dog food the less you feed them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 190 ✭✭Febreeze

I echo the poster above to add in eggs! I completely forgot about that. My dog gets fed twice a day, morning and evening and with her evening meal I add an egg and mix in with her food. I found when I add the egg, the fussy bitch won't eat it unless it's mix in haha.

• Registered Users Posts: 706 ✭✭✭tiredblondie

I was having the same dilemma as to what to feed my new 2 year old dog.
    He was on lidl wet food but i wanted to check around and find something nutritionally better for him.
    I checked on www.allaboutdogfood.co.uk and it gives loads of info and nutrional ratings of dog foods so i ended up selected Naturo wet food which handily enough, they sell in Tesco!

pinktoe wrote: »
    Where are you pricing your food? Zooplus is cheaper than a pet store.

Going by reviews Royal Canin doesn't score great for the price. Eukanuba is cheaper with good reviews. €50 delivered for 18kg, above budget I know.

For a 35kg GSD a 12kg bag of red mills lasts about 6 weeks with either an egg or a can of mackeral/sardines mixed in for her coat each day, so I'd imagine you'd get at least 2 months with the same size bag for a lab. Normally €46 or so from petworld I think but you'll randomly get €10 off at certain times a year and your 10th bag free.

The better the dog food the less you feed them.

I've started to add an egg over breakfast and two sandines or mackerel to dinner seems to be going down a treat.

I went to a local store not big chain and asked the advice of the guy there he breeds and he said to try him on feedwell supreme which I bought 8kg of he eats it no problems seems to have more energy and his stools are well formed now versus before it was patties.

My father in law who knows as much as me about dogs and nutrition was saying Lidl now do a high protein premium food that's meant to be very reasonably priced it's called Orlando Pure taste.

I know the standard Orlando stuff is garbage but has anyone had a look at the label on that and what do they think?

I'm going Lidl later and will get a picture if someone could advise on the ingredients list.

• Advertisement

Hey here is the labels for Orlando pure taste could someone kindly have a look and tell me what they think of that?

Hey here is the labels for Orlando pure taste could someone kindly have a look and tell me what they think of that?

Here is the label

Label below

where

where

Directly above your post sorry it didn't save first time

That looks fine
    Not fantastic but certainly not bad

• Registered Users Posts: 1,980 ✭✭✭bilbot79

bilbot79 wrote: »

Thank you, but that's well outside my budget unfortunately.

You won't go wrong with Skinners field and trial trust me

• Advertisement

You won't go wrong with Skinners field and trial trust me

It looks great but it is only available on Amazon I'd rather get something I can buy when needed especially with postage being so up and down at the minute

• Registered Users Posts: 14,020 ✭✭✭✭tk123

It looks great but it is only available on Amazon I'd rather get something I can buy when needed especially with postage being so up and down at the minute

I’ve found the post pretty much back to normal. When you look at food you need to allow for how much you’re going to be feeding. Often you’ll end up feeding more of a cheaper quality food or throwing lots of extras in so it’s false economy and can work out more expensive. You’ll usually end up feeding less of a good quality food. Maybe take a look on zooplus - delivery takes about 4 days. A lot of posters here recommended their Rocco wet food as it’s good quality and affordable.
    If you do go for the Lidl one download their app and get your €5 voucher! ;)

delivery is free and only takes 4 days

• Registered Users Posts: 790 ✭✭✭Roycropper63

Just my 2 cents worth. Had my cocker on gain for nearly 6 years. Her poo was always quite soft , during lockdown bad 2 visits to vet. He suggested hypo allergenic brands. Now does her business once a day very solid

• Registered Users Posts: 20 The Mask 13

Zooplus! 12kg bag of wolf of wilderness does my huskey about 6weeks. High quality food with really good ingredients. Also grain free. They always have offers on the site too. Works out about 8.50 per week. Your dog will thank you for it. Stay away from most super market dog food it's mostly full on crap.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,086 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

Simpson’s is available on Zoolpus also.
    My advice would be to go to a pet shop and assess options within your budget, do remember that with a good quality food they eat less so a bag lasts longer.

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭msdurden

I'd highly recommend Gain food - available in Maxizoo and couple other places. Irish company and the ingredients are high quality.
    I pay €5 for puppy bag.

My friends boxer pup had auful problems on Royal Canine - diarrhea/sick etc. She googled the ingredients and some of what's in there is pure crap.
    Heard a lady in the vets have the issue with RC and her Jack Russell.

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭Dahdum

Sorry to jump on the back of this but was hoping for some advice. Have a young-ish lurcher. She was on red mills when we got her few months ago....not sure which red mills exactly so we’ve had her on go native. Stools have been awful since day 1 and has bad gas. Passes about 6 a day, start solid and end up pure liquid. Initially we had her on herring, thought maybe it was too rich and causing the stool issues so moved to chicken.....still no improvement. Recent visit to the vets and he suggested plain chicken, brown rice and veg. Has been on that for about 2 weeks and still no real improvement. Veg is not getting digested at all.

Other than going back to vet and getting bloods checked, does anyone have any suggestion re what food might help improve things?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,020 ✭✭✭✭tk123

Dahdum wrote: »
    Sorry to jump on the back of this but was hoping for some advice. Have a young-ish lurcher. She was on red mills when we got her few months ago....not sure which red mills exactly so we’ve had her on go native. Stools have been awful since day 1 and has bad gas. Passes about 6 a day, start solid and end up pure liquid. Initially we had her on herring, thought maybe it was too rich and causing the stool issues so moved to chicken.....still no improvement. Recent visit to the vets and he suggested plain chicken, brown rice and veg. Has been on that for about 2 weeks and still no real improvement. Veg is not getting digested at all.

Other than going back to vet and getting bloods checked, does anyone have any suggestion re what food might help improve things?

She may need antibiotics so I would go back to the vet. My guy had a bad tummy on and off for months and a course of antibiotics and b12 solved the problem.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,086 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

Dahdum wrote: »

Trip to the vets is the first step to make sure theres no health issue going on. When thats done look into her diet

Advertisement