Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

>3.5t motorhome opinions

• 04-07-2020 12:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 18,855 ✭✭✭✭

I've been looking for a motor home for a while now and have seen some that meet my requirements but they are >3.5t, which I can drive as I have a C licence. Ferries only seem to care about the length not weight. I'm not particularly worried about the speed restrictions as the point of the motor home is to avoid the expensive pay motorways and see the country.

Apart from being restricted to 80kph, and local weight restrictions, are there any other issues with driving a >3.5t <7.5t motor home?

But do any camp sites or Aires have restrictions on the size and weight vehicles allowed? Are there any other issues I have missed?

Comments

My Vario isn't limited...she's a private vehicle.
    Well to be honest she is but only by the gearbox.

More payload, more space, better everything...think big, keep on truckin'

• Registered Users Posts: 18,855 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

It doesn't need to be limited it's down to the weight of the vehicle not it's usage, didn't realize that it differed so much across Europe though.

https://www.caravanclub.co.uk/overseas-holidays/planning-your-route/european-speed-limits/

Private usage means you don't need a tacho, you sill need to heed the local speed limits.

Good to hear about no issues with weights.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,166 ✭✭✭Still waters

Whats the story with getting insurance on a campervan weighing more than 3.5 ton, is it hard getting insurance on one

Whats the story with getting insurance on a campervan weighing more than 3.5 ton, is it hard getting insurance on one

Once it meets their criteria and you have the relevant licence it shouldn't be an issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,166 ✭✭✭Still waters

Del2005 wrote: »
    Once it meets their criteria and you have the relevant licence it shouldn't be an issue.

But is it a specific insurance company ive to deal with or would it be a company that covers only hgvs/lgvs. I ask because i have a choice of 2 campers coming up in the next few months, a sprinter or a 7.5 ton horse box conversion, i was going with the sprinter but if i could insure the bigger one without too much hassle id go for that

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,695 ✭✭✭CelticRambler

Del2005 wrote: »
    I'm not particularly worried about the speed restrictions as the point of the motor home is to avoid the expensive pay motorways and see the country.

Apart from being restricted to 80kph, and local weight restrictions, are there any other issues with driving a >3.5t <7.5t motor home?

But do any camp sites or Aires have restrictions on the size and weight vehicles allowed? Are there any other issues I have missed?

Speed restrictions don't really come into it - trying to force your unaerodynamic brick through a headwind at anything over 80kmh will have you burning through diesel like nobody's business! :pac:

The greatest implication from a practical point of view is that, on some routes in some countries, you might not be given the choice about whether or not to use the motorways: although restrictions are generally imposed at 7.5t, it's not that uncommon to see "no transit" rules applied to smaller urban conurbations at 3.5t except for deliveries and/or in conjunction with emissions control measures.

The other practical aspect is that or some routes the difference in time, stress and general driving enjoyment between toll-free ordinary roads and the motorway network is considerable. There's a stretch of Austrian motorway, for example, at the far end of Lake Constance, that leads directly into Bregenz from the German autobahn. It takes about 5 minutes to get to Bregenz from the border on the motorway; it can take about an hour to do the same journey from the last exit in Germany, through non-stop shopping/industrial estates, one-way systems, road-works and toll-avoiding traffic. As a <3.5 vehicle, you can get a cheap vignette and you're grand for 10 days; >3.5t, you'll need a Go-box. Switzerland is another country that can be desperate to drive through on the non-motorway network (especially the eastern part of the country).

Don't forget that height also matters should you decide to pay the odd toll. My van, although registered at 3.5t is 3.2m high, which makes it uneconomic to take it through the Mont Blanc tunnel (about 170€ one-way :eek: ) I happen to like driving over mountains but if you're in a hurry to get to the other side, it'll cost you dear. In the same context, if the heavier vehicle is fitted with three axles, you'll pay more even if you're under 3m high (340€-ish for the Mont Blanc tunnel, one way)

But apart from that - bigger is better, way better! I got a C licence specifically to be able to buy/drive something up to 7.5t In the end, the right vehicle was "only" 4.1t (and passes for 3.5t most of the time) but it has been invaluable having the extra storage space.

I've never been on a continental aire where height, length or weight has been a problem - at least not for the site managers. Obviously you are more likely to find yourself in a situation where there just isn't enough space for your 9m vehicle, or the space is there but you can't get to it because someone's parked their 7m van in the wrong place. This'll also affect your access to some grey water dump drains too, if the aire hasn't been properly thought out. But that's all part and parcel of the motorhome experience.

But is it a specific insurance company ive to deal with or would it be a company that covers only hgvs/lgvs. I ask because i have a choice of 2 campers coming up in the next few months, a sprinter or a 7.5 ton horse box conversion, i was going with the sprinter but if i could insure the bigger one without too much hassle id go for that

There's only a few companies that insure campers and you can find their criteria. IIRC the main issue with one of them is that you need to be to walk from the drivers seat to the sleeping area and that it's over 1.8m tall inside.

• Registered Users Posts: 270 ✭✭patsy mulcaghy

Hi Sir Liamalot,

Apologies, I don't mean to hijack thread. I'm looking at a 98 Vario 612D 2.8D campervan; anything particular to look out for in your opinion? Also, it's currently on UK reg; is the VRT generally around 13.5% of the vehicles value? Anything else you could tell me, would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 788 ✭✭✭rustynutz

I recently went from an under 3.5 ton motorhome to a 5 ton one (Euramobil Integra 810 tag axle) I done my C license test last year to allow me drive it. It's been a great upgrade, loads of room inside, has a garage that can fit a motorbike, not much more awkward to drive, its 8.3m as opposed to 7.3m for the sub 3.5 ton, regarding insurance its exactly the same 325 euro as my previous vans.

• Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭Flipperdipper

Hi Sir Liamalot,

is the VRT generally around 13.5% of the vehicles value?

Thanks

It doesn't matter what the value of the van is or what you paid for it. The VRT is 13.5% of what the customs decide the Irish value is. The only trouble is they won't tell you how they calculate the this value.

• Advertisement

anything particular to look out for in your opinion?

Rust, shock absorber leaks, fuel leaks, air compressor leaks, oil leaks, coolant leaks, transmission oil leaks, differential oil leaks, exhaust leaks, damp/cab leaks tyres, tracking, blow-by, battery health, rattly mirrors, butchered wiring, fluid levels, fluid colours, gearbox, mileage, fault lights, spare wheel, jack, roadside tools, door & bonnet alignment, persished rubber, wheel arches, repair work, service history, belt condition, odd smells, engine vibration. After martket window e-numbers. Drive shaft carrier bearings. Broken trim.

• Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭Flipperdipper

Rust, shock absorber leaks, fuel leaks, air compressor leaks, oil leaks, coolant leaks, transmission oil leaks, differential oil leaks, exhaust leaks, damp/cab leaks tyres, tracking, blow-by, battery health, rattly mirrors, butchered wiring, fluid levels, fluid colours, gearbox, mileage, fault lights, spare wheel, jack, roadside tools, door & bonnet alignment, persished rubber, wheel arches, repair work, service history, belt condition, odd smells, engine vibration. After martket window e-numbers. Drive shaft carrier bearings. Broken trim.

When you put it like that, I'm never going to buy anything ever again.:D:D:D:D

I wouldn't buy anything from the UK. They take the pee with road salt.

• Registered Users Posts: 270 ✭✭patsy mulcaghy

haha ok, great exhaustive list! will take my time going over it, thanks again

+ king pins for fresh grease and play. Wheel bearings. Air filter never hurts to look.

Advertisement