Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Battery/Solar Sim security

• 02-07-2020 3:16am
    Registered Users Posts: 39

Hi all,

I’m hoping some knowledgable individuals here may be able to help me. We have a house which is empty, no electricity in the house as it needs to be rewired. The ESB is still connected on site but only running to a few outdoor plugs.

We had an attempted break in earlier this evening. Thankfully they were disturbed by some of our wonderful & vigilant neighbours but a good bit of damage was caused and it’s really shaken me. So, here I am in the middle of the night, trying to find a security system which would work. We contacted two well known alarm companies about six months ago about a security system for the house but they just spent time trying to talk us into rewiring the house& reconnecting electricity- this is not an option at the moment.

It seems that there are wireless/battery operated SIM systems which might work. Ideally we would like 4 indoor motion sensors, preferably with video, and a number of outdoor sensors which would use some SIM card type system to alert us to movement. I found systems like Reolink this evening which seem to fit what we are looking for but would be happy to spend a lot more for a better system if anyone could recommend one and/or a good company to deal with for this in the Cork area.

The lack of security is really worrying me and so any help would be very much appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,528 ✭✭✭kub

Hi all,

I’m hoping some knowledgable individuals here may be able to help me. We have a house which is empty, no electricity in the house as it needs to be rewired. The ESB is still connected on site but only running to a few outdoor plugs.

We had an attempted break in earlier this evening. Thankfully they were disturbed by some of our wonderful & vigilant neighbours but a good bit of damage was caused and it’s really shaken me. So, here I am in the middle of the night, trying to find a security system which would work. We contacted two well known alarm companies about six months ago about a security system for the house but they just spent time trying to talk us into rewiring the house& reconnecting electricity- this is not an option at the moment.

It seems that there are wireless/battery operated SIM systems which might work. Ideally we would like 4 indoor motion sensors, preferably with video, and a number of outdoor sensors which would use some SIM card type system to alert us to movement. I found systems like Reolink this evening which seem to fit what we are looking for but would be happy to spend a lot more for a better system if anyone could recommend one and/or a good company to deal with for this in the Cork area.

The lack of security is really worrying me and so any help would be very much appreciated.

The one thing there that is jumping out at me is that you have ESB on site and there are operating external sockets.

Could therefore an electrical supply be brought into the building ?

What is mobile phone network coverage like where the house is located ?

• Registered Users Posts: 39 dreamer2009

kub wrote: »
    The one thing there that is jumping out at me is that you have ESB on site and there are operating external sockets.

Could therefore an electrical supply be brought into the building ?

What is mobile phone network coverage like where the house is located ?

Thanks for the reply.

Unfortunately, we can’t bring supply into house. We would need it certified to a fuse board & house needs to be fully rewired so not an option at the moment. The Mobile signal is good enough there, we have trees but they don’t seem to interfere if ever we are on phones or using WhatsApp or anything.

Advertisement