Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New male pug peeing inside house

• 23-06-2020 5:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 357 ✭✭

Posting this on behalf of my mum. She got a new 4 year old pug today. He has peed literally everywhere in the kitchen. I know it’s only day 1 & I’m sure the little guy is feeling anxious & out of sorts. It will take time for him to settle into his new home. Will this resolve on his own or is there any tips now my mum could be using to discourage/stop him doing it. Replies would be really appreciated!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭deadlybuzzman

He's probably anxious but if its ongoing I'd suggest the following:

1: Bring the dog out every 30 mins and if he pees outside give him a treat and make a fuss of him

2: Dont use bleach or any ammonia containing cleaners ,the dog will think theres another dog sneaking around marking on his territory when he isnt there

• Registered Users Posts: 5,339 ✭✭✭borderlinemeath

Firstly, it's a new home, so, even if he was housetrained exceptionally well, he doesn't know this new home routine, what door to go to, does he scratch to go out, or just stand blankly at a door in the hope that it will open for him. It's like your first day at work/college - you need orientation in order to figure out where to go!

Secondly - has there been a dog in your mothers kitchen in the last while? Can he smell an old dog, or a visiting dog, or a dog that might have peed there a few months ago even. If he's a male, particularly if he's intact rather than neutered - then a hormonal rush can take over and he will feel the urge to cover any scent he can find. No matter how housetrained, some males just cannot help themselves when it comes to covering another dogs scent, be that indoors, outdoors, and even on the leg of a visitor:eek:

He needs to be shown where to go, be trained how to ask to go in /out. Is he a rescue or did he come from another home directly? Can they let you know of any commands he may have?

And of course, he will be anxious, it's all new, all stressful and will take a while to settle. Any weeing in the house needs to be cleaned out with a biological solution, no bleach, and most household sprays aren't up to much either.

Hope this helps!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,725 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

All of the above, plus, if you get some fabric that smells of him, say, a towel or cloth you've let him sleep on, and rub that all around the house at nose height, especially on spots he's most likely to mark, such as corners or furniture, fridges, doorways etc. It'll make the place smell more like home to him :)
    This is all assuming there isn't an underlying medical issue going on, but unless this goes on and on, it's reasonable to assume that he's just feeling overwhelmed and a bit lost and insecure.
    Hope it all settles down soon :o

• Registered Users Posts: 357 ✭✭tamara25

Thanks very much for everyone’s help so far. Yes my mother did have another dog in the house before she got the pug. And yes it is possible the previous dog had a few accidents in the house recently. I was chatting to her earlier & passed on all the tips. He is a lovely natured little dog, even in a couple of days things should hopefully improve!

I have another question for the new pug. In his old home he always slept in a pen. My mother has the exact same one in her kitchen. She has a dog bed inside it. So far he won’t use it, prefers to sleep on the couch. Any tips to encourage him to use the new pen. Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,339 ✭✭✭borderlinemeath

tamara25 wrote: »
    I have another question for the new pug. In his old home he always slept in a pen. My mother has the exact same one in her kitchen. She has a dog bed inside it. So far he won’t use it, prefers to sleep on the couch. Any tips to encourage him to use the new pen. Thanks

Did he come with a toy/blanket from his old home? If you put it in there it will smell familiar. Also feed in the pen/crate, and give treats there too. That will associate good things with it, and eventually he should go on command to it. Helps with visitors to the house and/or doorbell anxiety/excitement as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 706 ✭✭✭tiredblondie

I recently (3 weeks ago), took on a 2 year old dog and have him in a crate. I don't think he was crated in his previous home but i keep his blanket they gave me in there and he's had no issues going in. Snuggles up with his blanket and is happy enough!
    Not sure when i should start washing the blanket though haha!

Another question for my mothers pug please. He is due to be neutered this Week & her vet has said it is very risky having a pug under anaesthetic because of breathing difficulties. He has bad teeth also so will do the 2 procedures in one day. She is up in a heap now & worried about the surgery.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,725 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

There may be a bit of mixing of phrasing here op... are you sure that's exactly as the vet phrased it?
    Whilst flat-faced dogs are at greater risk than longer-snouted dogs under anaesthetic, it doesn't mean that it's "very risky". It's an increased risk on a risk that's already relatively small. So, in other words, "greater risk" doesn't necessarily mean "very risky"!

Advertisement