Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Liam Treadwell

Options
  • 23-06-2020 1:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,625 ✭✭✭

Desperate news
    Hadn't heard he was sick or anything
    34, no age
    God rest him
    Be a long time before someone wins Aintree on 100/1 again

RIP

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 102 ✭✭Dayjur

Always liked him, seems a real problem mental health between jockeys, Hope that **** claire baldings stomach drops when she see's the news

• Registered Users Posts: 4,693 ✭✭✭kksaints

Awful news.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,133 ✭✭✭akelly02

Dayjur wrote: »
    Always liked him, seems a real problem mental health between jockeys, Hope that **** claire baldings stomach drops when she see's the news

Why, what did balding do ?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,086 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

Desperate news
    Hadn't heard he was sick or anything
    34, no age
    God rest him
    Be a long time before someone wins Aintree on 100/1 again

RIP

He wasn’t sick, it was by his own hand unfortunately

• Registered Users Posts: 3,188 ✭✭✭Justin10

akelly02 wrote: »
    Why, what did balding do ?

Mocked his teeth after his grand national win

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,133 ✭✭✭akelly02

Rochey18 wrote: »

stupid ****

• Registered Users Posts: 10,361 ✭✭✭✭DDC1990

RIP Liam. Shocking news.

• Registered Users Posts: 576 ✭✭✭mick malones mauser

In fairness to Clare Balding she didnt mean any offence,it was just a bit of banter and she apologised soon after for any offence .
    Bit harsh to throw it back in her face 10 years later

• Registered Users Posts: 2,625 ✭✭✭RivetingRoger

Rochey18 wrote: »

Hadn't heard that
    And if he went back to her about her weight then he would be the worst in the world

Second jockey suicide in a few months
    Hope HRI and BHA take note

The abuse jockeys have to give their own bodies while riding, I dunno how anyone could be right after it

So sad

In fairness to Clare Balding she didnt mean any offence,it was just a bit of banter and she apologised soon after for any offence .
    Bit harsh to throw it back in her face 10 years later
    It wasn't banter it was just insults about his appearance on live TV on what should have been the greatest moment in his life, I still think what she did was unforgivable.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 576 ✭✭✭mick malones mauser

It wasn't banter it was just insults about his appearance on live TV on what should have been the greatest moment in his life, I still think what she did was unforgivable.

Ok whatever

But you really need to get a life ...ten years ago a throwaway remark on TV and you still think its UNFORGIVEABLE !!!!!

Ok whatever

But you really need to get a life ...ten years ago a throwaway remark on TV and you still think its UNFORGIVEABLE !!!!!
    Relax mick I just have a different opinion to you, no need to shout, plus I really don't think you understand what the word means :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,806 ✭✭✭Mysterypunter

Toffs have no feelings, first thing I thought of too, sad news RIP

• Registered Users Posts: 2,625 ✭✭✭RivetingRoger

lads, not the place or time
    relax

• Registered Users Posts: 1,110 ✭✭✭123balltv

RIP Liam Treadwell
    Clare Balding from Berkshire who attended private school they say money
    doesn't buy class :( true here

• Registered Users Posts: 4,345 ✭✭✭Morgans

Why make this about Clare Balding? Yes it was a silly comment then and still is now.

However, a 34 year old decided to kill himself. Someone who had success while trying to keep his stuff together for a decade or so. You'd like to think it would prompt people to wonder about what does go on beneath the surface. Tragic.

It had nothing to do with Clare Balding and the emphasis it is getting shows a lack of class in my view.

Morgans wrote: »
    Why make this about Clare Balding? Yes it was a silly comment then and still is now.

However, a 34 year old decided to kill himself. Someone who had success while trying to keep his stuff together for a decade or so. You'd like to think it would prompt people to wonder about what does go on beneath the surface. Tragic.

It had nothing to do with Clare Balding and the emphasis it is getting shows a lack of class in my view.
    Happiest moment of his life and she decides to embarrass him live on TV in front of millions and as its turns out had a mental health problem, **** should have been sacked on the spot

• Registered Users Posts: 12,086 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

I don’t think he took too much offence from what Clare Balding said, doesn’t make it right though

Happiest moment of his life and she decides to embarrass him live on TV in front of millions and as its turns out had a mental health problem, **** should have been sacked on the spot

All well and good. May have been right on the day and may be right in ten years time, but his life wasn't defined by Clare Balding. Talk about Mon Mome or Cheltenham winners rather than using his death to have a lazy pop again at someone's comment from 10 years ago. Today isn't about her. Talking about her is doing him a disservice.

Gael23 wrote: »
    I don’t think he took too much offence from what Clare Balding said, doesn’t make it right though

He literally went and got a set of veneers done after it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,181 ✭✭✭Lady Haywire

He literally went and got a set of veneers done after it

For free if I recall correctly. And himself and Balding were pictured together after that, so it's not like he held a grudge.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,365 ✭✭✭Higgins5473

Morgans wrote: »

I'll put my hand up and admit I know nothing about horseracing or Liam Treadwell, it popped up on my news feed a national winning jockey who was only 34 had died which seemed very sad so I googled him. The main focus of the news which I could see about him was the balding incident. Look no further than the gutter media for a lack of class. Its not just the UK red tops to blame anymore, its across the board trying to garner as many clicks as possible. Balding is also a c*nt though.

Poor fella, awful for the family.

• Registered Users Posts: 375 ✭✭dennispenn

I'll put my hand up and admit I know nothing about horseracing or Liam Treadwell, it popped up on my news feed a national winning jockey who was only 34 had died which seemed very sad so I googled him. The main focus of the news which I could see about him was the balding incident. Look no further than the gutter media for a lack of class. Its not just the UK red tops to blame anymore, its across the board trying to garner as many clicks as possible. Balding is also a c*nt though.

Poor fella, awful for the family.

its because of baldings comments that we mainly remember liam threadwell. the woman humiliated him in front of tens of millions.

i never emailed a complaint before or since to a tv or radio co. but i did mail the bbc that afternoon and got a reply. the complaint was naturally about the humiliating comments from the privileged, talentless presenter.

rest in peace Liam. terrible news.:(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,484 ✭✭✭Andrew00

Gael23 wrote: »

He went and got his teeth done after. Done tell me it didn't affect him

• Registered Users Posts: 5,181 ✭✭✭Lady Haywire

Andrew00 wrote: »
    He went and got his teeth done after. Done tell me it didn't affect him

He got many different offers from dentists to get his teeth done for free, if someone wanted to make a remark about me on telly in exchange for free £30k teeth, they're very welcome.
    What Balding said was stupid & reckless but she apologised, as did the BBC. We all say stupid things at times, it just happens that not a lot of us are on national TV at the time. If we're all going to get hung up on things like that & focus on them instead of the myriad of reasons behind suicide it's fairly sad.

I know it's the Daily mail, but one quote-
    'I used to think, "Well, God's made me this way and I'm just going to have to live with it."

'But Tang has proved me wrong. It has also made me realise that Clare Balding did me a favour when she teased me on TV.

'All I have to concentrate on now is not getting my new teeth knocked out in this year's National.'

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/article-1263312/Grand-National-jockey-Liam-Treadwell-Clare-Balding-teased-TV-teeth--look-laugh-.html

• Registered Users Posts: 4,693 ✭✭✭kksaints

He got many different offers from dentists to get his teeth done for free, if someone wanted to make a remark about me on telly in exchange for free £30k teeth, they're very welcome.
    What Balding said was stupid & reckless but she apologised, as did the BBC. We all say stupid things at times, it just happens that not a lot of us are on national TV at the time. If we're all going to get hung up on things like that & focus on them instead of the myriad of reasons behind suicide it's fairly sad.

I know it's the Daily mail, but one quote-

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/article-1263312/Grand-National-jockey-Liam-Treadwell-Clare-Balding-teased-TV-teeth--look-laugh-.html

I'm slightly surprised so many people are focusing on the Clare Balding comment and not on the fall in 2016 where he was knocked unconscious for 4 minutes and suffered long term affects such as memory loss and problems with his concentration.
    “My family and close friends told me I had changed,” he said last year in an interview with the Telegraph. “They noticed the little things. To me I was still me but they were saying I’d changed as a person.”

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2020/jun/23/liam-treadwell-2009-grand-national-winning-jockey-dies-aged-34

There is a fair bit of evidence linking concussions to mental health issues such as depression and anxiety so its possible that the horrific fall he suffered is more relevant than Clare Baldings comments.

kksaints wrote: »
    I'm slightly surprised so many people are focusing on the Clare Balding comment and not on the fall in 2016 where he was knocked unconscious for 4 minutes and suffered long term affects such as memory loss and problems with his concentration.

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2020/jun/23/liam-treadwell-2009-grand-national-winning-jockey-dies-aged-34

There is a fair bit of evidence linking concussions to mental health issues such as depression and anxiety so its possible that the horrific fall he suffered is more relevant than Clare Baldings comments.

It's very possible that it had an effect. It is as close to 100% possible that it had a greater effect on him than Clare Balding's comment.

• Registered Users Posts: 627 ✭✭✭zpehtsfd

This was a thread to pay respects to the man. It made it all the way to the second post before it became about some completely irrelevant to his life. Have some phucking respect. :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 859 ✭✭✭Randy Archer

Hadn't heard that
    And if he went back to her about her weight then he would be the worst in the world

Second jockey suicide in a few months
    Hope HRI and BHA take note

The abuse jockeys have to give their own bodies while riding, I dunno how anyone could be right after it

So sad

It was live broadcast , minutes after the race . I remember it so well, the joke went down like a ballon

It’s not her weight that’s the issue , some big girls can be delightful , (ra ra ra ) it’s that Balding jaw line . Desperate Dan stuff

To be fair , it was genuinely intended to be a joke , but the lad was mortified . YouTube has a clip of it . The red rags did pick up on it and Balding got a scolding with the usual class warfare guff

She should have known better with her family being in racing and always being media savvy . It was the BBC

Imagine what happens when marmite Matt Chapman does /did stuff like that ? . She was the one who got Matt kicked off the mc gig after his questionable introduction to the Oaks winner (Enable) and referring to Gosden as Johnny G (who as usual would latter take it in his stride and mention it to Matt at York ) Apparently to Balding , it wasn’t appropriate (to be fair Epsom , stiff , she might have been right )

• Advertisement
Advertisement