Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Eviction Ban extended

• 22-06-2020 10:12am
    Registered Users Posts: 26

Eviction Ban has been extended until July 20th

and possibly will be extended further ......due to political interests and games

https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/politics/the-big-read-rents-will-be-frozen-and-evictions-banned-as-parties-in-final-play-for-power-39302355.html

What does this mean for the future of renting in Ireland?

Personally I have rented my house out for 6 months only as I went travelling and was planning to return and go back to my job in August.

Now this is no longer possible. I am a homeless homeowner.

It is the first time I am renting out.....I never expected to not be able to have my home back. Tenant has been a nightmare since the beginning and is refusing to leave. I do not want to evict illegally but I don't want to be homeless either.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 61 ✭✭frw5

Finally, long overdue!

When it comes to your situation, you made an investment/bet, it didnt pay off. Why where you betting in the first place?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,982 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

frw5 wrote: »
    Finally, long overdue!

When it comes to your situation, you made an investment/bet, it didnt pay off. Why where you betting in the first place?

If investors don’t “bet”, where do you think rental properties would come from?

I am not saying not to bet but If I made a bet I wouldn't cry afterwards why have I lost the bet.
    The situation here is very clear.
    And yes I would empathise with someone doing this to cover medical expenses but cant empathise with someone renting to go do something which clearly financially was out of their reach.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭JimmyVik

and possibly will be extended further ......due to political interests and games

https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/politics/the-big-read-rents-will-be-frozen-and-evictions-banned-as-parties-in-final-play-for-power-39302355.html

Personally I have rented my house out for 6 months only as I went travelling and was planning to return and go back to my job in August.

It is the first time I am renting out.....I never expected to not be able to have my home back. Tenant has been a nightmare since the beginning and is refusing to leave. I do not want to evict illegally but I don't want to be homeless either.

I understand your frustration.

This is where they have been headed for years now.
    Covid just gave them the excuse to do it.
    This will be permanent soon enough.
    And also you will not be able to sell a property with a tenant in it unless the tenant can stay during and after the sale.

I was looking at property investment for a few years now and it is just toxic in Ireland.
    People are mad to rent out their property in Ireland, even if they think it will only be short term.

There may be a window between when Covid measures stoip and when they bring in permanent legislation that you can get your house back, but you probably should start the ball rolling and get a solicitor to show you how to prepare to get your house back right after covid.

JimmyVik wrote: »
    I was looking at property investment for a few years now and it is just toxic in Ireland.
    And paying humongous rent because you havent inherited a fortune isn't toxic?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,236 ✭✭✭Elessar

I'm sorry for your troubles OP. Not to add to the bad news but you can bet your bottom dollar the ban will be extended until well into the new year, as it will be seen cruel not to so close to christmas.

It's a rock and a hard place for people like yourself. What does it mean for the future of renting? Most likely that REITs will be the vast majority of landlords as many smaller landlords will just leave the sector - well, that's if they can, the Green party's manifesto will be removing the grounds of selling a property as a valid reason for terminating a lease.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,744 ✭✭✭marieholmfan

Did your tenants sign a six month lease?

I am by no means against a landlord profiting from renting, but they have went to an absolute extreme, they've overplayed their cards, they've pushed a large portion of people living in this country over the edge by insane high rents based on few bad experiences instead of making efforts to better control the bad tenants, something similar what was done with the car insurance industry.
    It's about time they feel a strong push back.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭JimmyVik

And paying humongous rent because you havent inherited a fortune isn't toxic?

Whats that got to do with someone who rented out their house to someone for 6 months and cant get their house back after the 6 months?
    I think you are being a bit toxic there yourself.
    I dont know too many people who bought houses who have inherited a fortune, or anything for that matter.
    Why do you think rents have been going up?
    Would it be to do with it being uneconomical and toxic for landlords who are supplying them by any chance? Well they are being forced out. And that means rents wont be getting any cheaper. The opposite in fact. Be careful what you wish for. Youve got it.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

Mod Note

frw5, take the off-topic landlord bashing somewhere else.

Do not reply to this post.

• Advertisement

JimmyVik wrote: »
    Be careful what you wish for. Youve got it.

You are right there, my rent got decreased, and look and behold the landlord is still alive and not generating loss. :rolleyes:

I think I am on topic because this is a perfect example on how someone tried to use the situation to rent a property to go on a spending spree. It is a perfect example where this type of investment only reflects negatively on society. Luckily it seems we are slowly coming out of Dark Ages. Over and out.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,716 ✭✭✭Xterminator

Hi Op

first and foremost it is done to arrest tenants being made homeless. And that is not primarily political or games , they are people - each case is individual.

the covid situation is unique, and shutdown of the economy was a unique reaction to it. Due to covid. there are a lot of people not working - with only a basic income provided by the state.

Landlords business has been affected by covid. At least your business is 'open'. What about barbers and publicans etc. Often self employed, or small businesses with zero income. Forbidden to open their business doors.

I sympathise with your personal circumstance, but try a little social awareness.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

OP, what do you mean by you "do not want to evict illegally"? How do you think you could get them out?

If they're still paying the rent, you're not actually in a bad position. They could easily stop and it'll still take you an age to get them out. Hopefully it doesn't come to that.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

Mod Note

frw5, do not post in this thread again.

theteal wrote: »
    OP, what do you mean by you "do not want to evict illegally"? How do you think you could get them out?

If they're still paying the rent, you're not actually in a bad position. They could easily stop and it'll still take you an age to get them out. Hopefully it doesn't come to that.

If he signed a six month tenancy they will be prepared to move (especially in a market in which rents are static or slightly falling). The problem is almost certainly a non problem. If he signed a years tenancy with the intention of evicting them after his return from 'travelling' then he certainly deserves no sympathy.

• Registered Users Posts: 844 ✭✭✭timetogo1

Well what do your tenants say? Presumably you had a lease for the 6 months. They may have planned to move on at the end of the 6 months. They're not being forced to stay until 20th July.

I'm sorry for your troubles OP but there are risks to renting out property, including that it might not be available when you want it.

• Registered Users Posts: 26 curious minds

Hi Op

first and foremost it is done to arrest tenants being made homeless. And that is not primarily political or games , they are people - each case is individual.

the covid situation is unique, and shutdown of the economy was a unique reaction to it. Due to covid. there are a lot of people not working - with only a basic income provided by the state.

Landlords business has been affected by covid. At least your business is 'open'. What about barbers and publicans etc. Often self employed, or small businesses with zero income. Forbidden to open their business doors.

I sympathise with your personal circumstance, but try a little social awareness.

This has made me homeless....where is the social awareness in that?
    I have worked my entire life to get this house ....

If he signed a six month tenancy they will be prepared to move (especially in a market in which rents are static or slightly falling). The problem is almost certainly a non problem. If he signed a years tenancy with the intention of evicting them after his return from 'travelling' then he certainly deserves no sympathy.

Well they are not prepared to move. As I said signed 6 months.
    But they are taking advantage of the situation and refusing to look for something else.

But they are taking advantage of the situation and refusing to look for something else.

OK this is a tough situation. Send a letter informing them that their tenancy ends on the relevant date, that they must continue to pay rent while overholding and that even though you will accept this rent that does not mean that they have a tenancy.

Basically end the tenancy on time and register your claim with the RTB in order to evict quickly when the time comes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,153 ✭✭✭Claw Hammer

You foolishly signed 6 months. Some adjudicators hold that you can't serve a notice of termination during the currency of a fixed term. You have to wait till the 6 months is up. After that, you serve a notice of termination on one of the grounds required in the case of a Part 4 tenancy accompanied by the necessary declarations etc.
    You should have done basic research before signing a 6 month lease.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,064 ✭✭✭DubCount

Don't even consider an illegal eviction. You could end up with a significant financial penalty from the RTB and possibly have the tenant reinstated as well.

Get a solicitor. Do it right.

The system is a mess. IMHO most rental inflation over the last number of years was caused by our government implementing silly anti-landlord legislation, in stead of solving the real problem by increasing supply. unfortunately, we are where we are, and you have to play the game - even when its madness.

Expect even more pro-tenant measures, an extension of the anti-eviction term, and anything else which makes renting out a property a risky venture.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,480 ✭✭✭✭Varik

You foolishly signed 6 months. Some adjudicators hold that you can't serve a notice of termination during the currency of a fixed term. You have to wait till the 6 months is up. After that, you serve a notice of termination on one of the grounds required in the case of a Part 4 tenancy accompanied by the necessary declarations etc.

Actually the eviction ban could have helped the OP here.

The eviction ban put a stop on the tenant gaining time towards part 4.
    Part 4 tenancies and further part 4 tenancies will not commence during the emergency period. The 3-month emergency period does not count towards the time spent as a tenant for part 4 or further part 4 tenancies.

So the leases 6 months might have expired but part 4 won't have been gained.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,447 ✭✭✭davindub

Where would the OP find research that you cannot serve notice during a fixed term lease to terminate the tenancy after the expiry of the 6 months?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,204 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

davindub wrote: »
    Where would the OP find research that you cannot serve notice during a fixed term lease to terminate the tenancy after the expiry of the 6 months?

Its been posted here many times

• Registered Users Posts: 13,982 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

davindub wrote: »

I’d be interested in that as well. Interestingly, this legal site states that no notice is necessary at all to end a fixed term tenancy of 6 months or less, presumably the fixed term agreement itself is a form of written notice that the tenancy will end on a certain date before Part 4 rights are attained. The LL is effectively giving 6 months notice of the tenancy ending.

https://www.lawyer.ie/property/ending-your-tenancy/
    godtabh wrote: »

Were those posts in relation to ending a tenancy at the end of a fixed term agreement after the tenant has gotten Part 4 rights? You have to wait until the end of the fixed term if you want to end a tenancy using any of the grounds for Part 4 terminations.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,447 ✭✭✭davindub

godtabh wrote: »

But what was the source?

Chinese whispers I think...

The issue here is not serving a 1 month notice before the 6 months lease is up
    Nor serving a 3 months notice after 6 months and a Day,

Both these risks were taken into account because these were written in the low so we are all aware of these

However the 4 months eviction ban and probably more has put me in a very unpleasant situation. If the eviction ban is extended until next year . What will happen to those who only rented short term and need their house back - have nowhere else to live. ?

what happens to rent arrears? sure if a tenant can live for free for a long time with no risk of being evicted why would't they?

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭LeineGlas

DubCount wrote: »
    Don't even consider an illegal eviction. You could end up with a significant financial penalty from the RTB and possibly have the tenant reinstated as well.

Get a solicitor. Do it right.

The system is a mess. IMHO most rental inflation over the last number of years was caused by our government implementing silly anti-landlord legislation, in stead of solving the real problem by increasing supply. unfortunately, we are where we are, and you have to play the game - even when its madness.

Expect even more pro-tenant measures, an extension of the anti-eviction term, and anything else which makes renting out a property a risky venture.

In fairness, it's very difficult to increase supply when it is so easy to object to development.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,354 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

I am by no means against a landlord profiting from renting, but they have went to an absolute extreme, they've overplayed their cards, they've pushed a large portion of people living in this country over the edge by insane high rents based on few bad experiences instead of making efforts to better control the bad tenants, something similar what was done with the car insurance industry.
    It's about time they feel a strong push back.

A landlord can not control bad tenants. Only the law can, and here in Ireland the law is firmly on the side of tenants, even bad tenants.

Advertisement