Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Magnesium Supplement- how much?

• 21-06-2020 10:42am
    Registered Users Posts: 480 ✭✭

I have decided to try a course of Magnesium supplements as a sleep aid. I had no idea there were so many forms, differing in methods and rates of absorption. And all differing in the actual amounts of magnesium contained. I have decided on Magnesium Bisglycinate, as I see it commonly referenced as a sleeping aid.

I see 400mg of magnesium as the typical RDA for an adult male approximately. So I am aiming to take that much. So do I factor in the amount of ‘elemental’ magnesium in the supplement I’m taking to reach that amount? The supplement I bought contains 400mg of magnesium as magnesium bisglycinate. According to Wikipedia, bisglycinate contains 14% elemental magnesium. So would I be needing to take about 7 of these if I wanted to reach the 400mg RDA?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,584 ✭✭✭Day Lewin

From what I heard (in the Health Food shop!) the rate of absorption is important: magnesium is one of the least well absorbed minerals.
    So you could be consuming a lot of it and p1ssing most of it out!

I believe th better ones come combined with other minerals or vitamins that assist in absorption. Even digestive enzymes or probiotics may help the gut to digest this.

Following!

PS Really helps me to sleep.

• Registered Users Posts: 480 ✭✭jace_da_face

Yes I think the rate of absorption will vary a lot between different forms and between different people etc. But I’m still not sure whether to factor in the ‘elemental’ concentration when aiming for a specific amount. It seems straight forward that I should. But it is the difference between taking one pill or seven! You wouldn’t want to get that wrong, not to mention the price differential.

Advertisement