Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

What is the appeal of drag?

Options
  • 13-06-2020 6:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭

I just saw a video clip of a drag brunch (which I didn't realise was a thing!) and was really puzzled by all the comments and how most people had really positive things to say. Drag has never been of any interest to me but most gay guys I chat to love it and was wondering what the specific appeal of it is.

I've never been to a drag show, but my impression of it is that it is mostly men dressing up as women and miming along to songs while trying to dance in an over the top manner. At least that's what I've seen from the clips my friends have shown me!

I compare it to just a random woman miming along to a song in a similar fashion which I think most people would not be keen on going to see! I don't see how a man dressed up as a woman makes it any better, but I'm clearly missing something going by the popularity.

I have feeling I will get dragged along (no pun intended) to a show in the near future and would like to go in with a positive attitude so please change my mind!

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,630 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

A decent drag artist is going to do rather a lot more than just miming.

Its an art form, when done right. Even a decent crap performer should still be entertaining in a simpler manner.

If you don't like it though, that's fine - its not compulsory by any means.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,067 ✭✭✭368100

I don't see the appeal either....it's normally a bit over the top for me...but each to their own.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,629 ✭✭✭Hunchback

Go to Netflix, watch season 6 of RuPaul's Drag Race, starting at episode 1.

It's highly entertaining.

It may assist you in appreciating the drama, the comedy and the human moments of the drag world (albeit in a reality TV show format).

The above show is not the be-all-and-end-all of drag knowledge, and I myself am no expert, but, in terms of
    the context of your request, this is the best possible starting point, in my opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 982 ✭✭✭Dick Turnip

Hunchback wrote: »
    Go to Netflix, watch season 6 of RuPaul's Drag Race, starting at episode 1.

Out of curiosity why season 6? Was it a particularly good season?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,606 ✭✭✭Rick_

Seasons 4-6 are considered the best seasons of RuPaul's Drag Race.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,936 ✭✭✭Irish Aris

I think drag nowadays is more than just men dress in women's clothes miming to songs. RuPaul's Drag Race has indeed introduced many aspects of drag to the masses - myself included.

I love the comedy side of it and since I got hooked in Drag Race I always try to go see queens like Bianca Del Rio when they have shows in Ireland.
    I agree about seasons 4, 5 and 6, these are my favourite seasons of RPDR.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,812 ✭✭✭Girly Gal

368100 wrote: »
    I don't see the appeal either....it's normally a bit over the top for me...but each to their own.
    I agree, I don't see the appeal either, there's obviously something I'm missing, as it's become really popular due to RPDR, it's pretty much mainstream now. I think it's so over the top and fake, but, that seems to be part of the appeal. It's not for me, but, alot of people get great enjoyment from it so that's all that really matters.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,606 ✭✭✭Rick_

The first few series of Drag Race were much more grounded and proper reality based, it's only in its later seasons that it became very OTT and self aware.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,512 ✭✭✭baby and crumble

As a drag performer I fully get that drag isn't for everyone, but there is much more to it than dressing up and miming.

There are multiple styles, it's entertainment. different things will appeal to different people.

A lot of it is about subverting gender expectations and f*cking with that. It's the knowing nod and wink, it's the artistry of becoming highly skilled in illusion makeup, or becoming so clean at lip syncing that people genuinely think you're the one singing.

It's a way to make people smile or laugh - that's the biggest kick I get when I perform. When I get people coming up to me afterwards saying "that was awesome I was having a crappy day and that cheered me up no end".

But like I said, it's not a form of entertainment that's for everyone. There's no form of entertainment that is. I despise going to a pub that has a live singer. I hate singalongs. Everyone's different.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,488 ✭✭✭Goodshape

I used to "not get it" – back when I thought gay was an homogenous thing and liking drag and glitter and rainbows was some requirement or precondition.

Now I feel I do get it, and it's fun sometimes but not really my thing and that's fine. As baby and crumble and others have said, it's entertainment, theatre, and an art form. It's not going to be everyone's idea of good fun.

There's alsos something subversive and a little bold about dressing up as the opposite gender, particularly for people who might have been (or are) ridiculed for their non-gender-conforming traits on a regular basis. Drag is a chance to own that. "You think I'm a little feminine? Check this out!". That's good fun.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 532 ✭✭✭Mr rebel

I can’t imagine The George without the resident drag queens there like Devina, Shirley et all. They enhance the overall atmosphere by just being there but it also helps that their shows are very entertaining.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,835 ✭✭✭unreggd

L1011 wrote: »
    If you don't like it though, that's fine - its not compulsory by any means.

You'd think that, but most guys assume you watch it and know all the characters and they always have a WTF reaction when I say I don't watch it.

I think the problem with drag is that too many people think a man in drag is fxcking HILARIOUS, and perpetuate this opinion, but it's just not true.

I've seen stand up comedians, and circus performers who are drag queens, but they 100% deliver on their comedy and circus skills.

But when I see people losing their sh:t over a drag queen miming over a song I don't get it. It's such an empty form of entertainment IMO.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,067 ✭✭✭368100

unreggd wrote: »
    You'd think that, but most guys assume you watch it and know all the characters and they always have a WTF reaction when I say I don't watch it.

I think the problem with drag is that too many people think a man in drag is fxcking HILARIOUS, and perpetuate this opinion, but it's just not true.

I've seen stand up comedians, and circus performers who are drag queens, but they 100% deliver on their comedy and circus skills.

But when I see people losing their sh:t over a drag queen miming over a song I don't get it. It's such an empty form of entertainment IMO.

Couldn't agree more.....might be going back a while but Dame Edna was a fantastic performer....all because the act was witty, intelligent and entertaining......but someone just miming a song and throwing out a few lewd comments ...No thanks.

This is so funny....

https://youtu.be/1r3S5UKP7ME

• Registered Users Posts: 3,200 ✭✭✭imme

368100 wrote: »
    Couldn't agree more.....might be going back a while but Dame Edna was a fantastic performer....all because the act was witty, intelligent and entertaining......but someone just miming a song and throwing out a few lewd comments ...No thanks.

This is so funny....

https://youtu.be/1r3S5UKP7ME

I don't think Dame Edna was a drag queen more a female impersonator.

I don't really get drag queens.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,630 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

unreggd wrote: »

If by "watch it" and "characters" you mean Drag Race, I think I've seen two episodes ever. In someone elses house. When his wife was watching it.

They're not tied together as if performance can't exist without the show; particularly as the show is only recent and even more recently available outside the US at that.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,512 ✭✭✭baby and crumble

I don’t want to butt in again but Drag Race =/= drag. Just be clear about that, because whilst you might find drag race insufferable that does not equate to all drag.

I have seen drag performers (kings queens and in betweens) move an entire room of people to tears. I’ve seen drag kings make statements about gender, race, equality, trauma, all through “miming a song”.

Thinking that Drag Race is a good illustration of all drag performers is like saying that Donald Trump is a good illustration of all Americans.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,629 ✭✭✭Hunchback

I don’t want to butt in again but Drag Race =/= drag. Just be clear about that, because whilst you might find drag race insufferable that does not equate to all drag.

I have seen drag performers (kings queens and in betweens) move an entire room of people to tears. I’ve seen drag kings make statements about gender, race, equality, trauma, all through “miming a song”.

Thinking that Drag Race is a good illustration of all drag performers is like saying that Donald Trump is a good illustration of all Americans.

I was the poster who initially suggested the OP might watch Drag Race as a starting point, but I would like to acknowledge and confirm the truth of the above post. :)

Advertisement