Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Today Show with Sarah McInerney

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,952 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

Pat McDonagh, who is a multi millionaire, pays his staff pittance. He once argued for a reduction in the minimum wage back during the last recession.

He would pay them 2 euro an hour if he could get away it. Terrible employer.

Klonker wrote: »
    Case of new TD Trying to get noticed making populist comments, higher wages, higher welfare payments, lower retirement age etc.

How are these defined as populist?

Are these just not policies?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭djemba djemba

Rick o'shea on now and on rte gold. Shows the respect he has for the listeners on gold that he jumps ship whenever radio one comes calling.

He was crying out for people to listen to Gold pre covid now gold got a stay of execution he heads off to talk books

• Closed Accounts Posts: 873 ✭✭✭StackSteevens

Pat McDonagh, who is a multi millionaire, pays his staff pittance. He once argued for a reduction in the minimum wage back during the last recession.

Here's some helpful advice for you:-

if he ever offers you a job; don't accept it. Problem solved.

jay0109 wrote: »

Ignorant showing there from Ged Nash, Labour TD. Constantly cutting across the other 2 and talking incessantly. Pure grandstanding.

He even claimed at one stage he works '24/7 for his constituents'.

Sarah needs to learn where the mute button is on her control panel

A shame that the clown pulled out of the recent Labour Party leadership contest; it would have been amusing to have seen him getting the grand total of one vote!

• Advertisement

Here's some helpful advice for you:-

if he ever offers you a job; don't accept it. Problem solved.

It still makes him a terrible employer.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,026 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

Case of new TD Trying to get noticed making populist comments, higher wages, higher welfare payments, lower retirement age etc.

Of course when the real small businesses go under because they can’t afford to pay these ‘living wages’ and ‘conditions’ these clowns will be nowhere to be seen.

All they do is ‘call’ for this that and the other.

It still makes him a terrible employer.

In your opinion.

But as you don't work for him and never have, your expert knowledge of the topic is of negligible value.

Of course when the real small businesses go under because they can’t afford to pay these ‘living wages’ and ‘conditions’ these clowns will be nowhere to be seen.

All they do is ‘call’ for this that and the other.

Isn't he currently lepping up and down like a rabid kangaroo about the Debenhams workers?

Of course if he genuinely gave a toss about them then he'd be kicking Alan Kelly's ample backside and insisting that he get involved with the talks on forming the next government, instead of wringing his hands helplessly on the sidelines.

In your opinion.

But as you don't work for him and never have, your expert knowledge of the topic is of negligible value.

Ok Pat.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,067 ✭✭✭cunnifferous

Was my first time tuning in today since Sean left and I think they should give they give the job to Sarah full time. Think she does both the serious and light stuff well and deals with people avoiding questions in a professional way, and lets face it 90% of the job is going to be dealing with people giving evasive answers :pac:

The Pat McDonagh interview was priceless. His employment practices were fair game imo. Stuff like taking money from the wages of staff for lunch whether they eat or not is scandalous and it was good listening to him squirm trying to defend it.

Think she handled the insufferable Jed Nash well enough too, didn't give him room to soapbox too much

• Registered Users Posts: 10,696 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

Have you worked for him?

I used to work for a plumbing company that did the gas supplies to his cookers when he would be opening a new restaurant.

Always found him very decent and easy to deal with.
    Settled his bill faster than most too, which is always a plus.

padd b1975 wrote: »
    Have you worked for him?

I used to work for a plumbing company that did the gas supplies to his cookers when he would be opening a new restaurant.

Always found him very decent and easy to deal with.
    Settled his bill faster than most too, which is always a plus.

That’s the general opinion Padd.

Looks like these guys can’t stand anyone who does well in this country.

People who risk their money to take on the giants seem to get no kudos if they succeed.

Seems they much prefer to ‘look up’ to scrotes who ‘tip around’ and bleed the state for whatever they can get.

Strange outlook.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,883 ✭✭✭Coillte_Bhoy

Was my first time tuning in today since Sean left and I think they should give they give the job to Sarah full time. Think she does both the serious and light stuff well and deals with people avoiding questions in a professional way, and lets face it 90% of the job is going to be dealing with people giving evasive answers :pac:

The Pat McDonagh interview was priceless. His employment practices were fair game imo. Stuff like taking money from the wages of staff for lunch whether they eat or not is scandalous and it was good listening to him squirm trying to defend it.

Think she handled the insufferable Jed Nash well enough too, didn't give him room to soapbox too much

Thought that was odd, but still €1.60 for a €10 meal? Surely would be easier for him not to supply meals?

Ok Pat.

The nearest Supermacs to me is over 90km away! Unfortunately.

So I haven't set foot in one since last summer - but when I did, the food was delicious and the slave workers all looked happy, so perhaps they didn't know that they were being exploited by Pat the Antichrist.

Thought that was odd, but still €1.60 for a €10 meal? Surely would be easier for him not to supply meals?

Just imagine the tirades of hatred from the sans culottes if he was to do that!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 146 ✭✭PyreOfHellfire

The nearest Supermacs to me is over 90km away! Unfortunately.

So I haven't set foot in one since last summer - but when I did, the food was delicious and the slave workers all looked happy, so perhaps they didn't know that they were being exploited by Pat the Antichrist.

1. Do you live on at sea? Half the breadth of the country is 90km and there is clearly a supermacs far closer than even 50km in any part of the country. ;)
    2. Supermacs is muck. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,067 ✭✭✭cunnifferous

Firstly, €10 is what he charges the customer not what it costs him so he isn't giving away €10 worth of food for €1.60 as you say.

Secondly, it's up for the staff the decide how they spend their own wages and what they eat for lunch not Pat McDonagh. An opt in scheme would be fine, but mandatory just points to an sneaky way of reducing staff wages.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,883 ✭✭✭Coillte_Bhoy

Firstly, €10 is what he charges the customer not what it costs him so he isn't giving away €10 worth of food for €1.60 as you say.

Secondly, it's up for the staff the decide how they spend their own wages and what they eat for lunch not Pat McDonagh. An opt in scheme would be fine, but mandatory just points to an sneaky way of reducing staff wages.

ya ok, fair points actually

• Registered Users Posts: 309 ✭✭Rabbit Redux

I don't think I'd want to be eating fast food for lunch every day, unless I was Morgan Spurlock.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 347 ✭✭bossdrum

1. Do you live on at sea? Half the breadth of the country is 90km and there is clearly a supermacs far closer than even 50km in any part of the country. ;)
    2. Supermacs is muck. :D

50km :rolleyes:
    My closest supermacs is 90.7km from me in Cork city according to google maps.
    There are people living further out than me on the peninsulas in West Cork that could be over 120km from there.
    The same goes for McDonalds and Burger King

Do you live on at sea? Half the breadth of the country is 90km and there is clearly a supermacs far closer than even 50km in any part of the country. ;)

Remarkable wisdom.

As a matter of interest how did you get on with the Leaving Cert ordinary geography paper? Or have you asked for a predictive grade?

I don't think I'd want to be eating fast food for lunch every day, unless I was Morgan Spurlock.

Not compulsory! You could opt for a flat white or a diet coke. Very good value for only €1.60.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,330 ✭✭✭golondrinas

John Halligan being very honest at the moment on government formation talks :pac:. Very rare and refreshing to hear that kind of straight talk from a politician.

Shur dats because he’s getting out.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,277 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

Thought she was good dealing with Pat McDonagh earlier.

She actually pulled him up on some of his responses - he said some ppl on the 350 a week have won the lotto for example

She also asked him about the 20 cent per hour deduction from staff wages

I got the feeling he was shocked at the level of scrutiny compared to the past buddy buddy approach of SOR

• Registered Users Posts: 15,865 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

I really do hope she gets the permanent gig now. She has a voice for radio for sure, and can handle the grim, the filleting, and the fun, and at the same time, takes no prisoners in a gentle way rather than an aggressive approach.

We shall see. From my perspective though it will be someone else. Sigh.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,277 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

I just thought pat was a bit naive today on some of his answers

And this is coming from a regular customer of supermacs who can’t wait to get back in and order a Smokey bacon burger large meal

• Closed Accounts Posts: 146 ✭✭PyreOfHellfire

Remarkable wisdom.

As a matter of interest how did you get on with the Leaving Cert ordinary geography paper? Or have you asked for a predictive grade?

Jesus christ no need to get offended like I insulted your family member. Grow up

I’ve said this for years, since Sara McInerny was on the Breakfast Show and as a stand in on other shows . She is WELL able to hold her own, her questions are incisive and she can be like a dog with a bone , she doesn’t let go ! It’s unbelievable refreshing to see someone like Sara taking on these complacent business owners and politicians ! She ain’t afraid . Go Sara , hope she gets the slot permanently :)

• Advertisement

She let Ml waffle away with her usual name checking nonsense.

Throwing money at everything.

Car crash interview that could have been much more incisive.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement