Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

String guitar snapped

• 25-04-2020 8:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 394 ✭✭

... Reusing this thread as it is kinda related... So I tried to surprise my OH with an acoustic guitar...It came today, I opened it up, began to tune it- and a string snapped!!!... Disgusted is an understatement...
    ...I'm wondering what is the quickest way to get a new string and get it replaced, especially given the current life situation... If anyone can suggest that would be great, ... Also if anyone here can fix it, then please do PM, happy to discuss terms...I'm sure it's a simple fix, but to an amateur it really isn't...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 995 ✭✭✭Ryder

Have a look at YouTube for string changing. Very easy to do and everyone has first time to do it.

Suggest ordering a complete new set eg these would be great quality - cheaper available

https://www.musicmaker.ie/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=65&gclid=CjwKCAjwv4_1BRAhEiwAtMDLsu53vvwbXei4qMV6_yei59JmQR33sA4sR9nUbo6ctsAyTt2U77-A2xoCV8sQAvD_BwE

Tuning apps available on app store are pretty accurate. Hard to go wrong once you turn tuning peg sufficiently to get string taut, without over tightening and then tuning to standard tuning (EADGBE)

• Registered Users Posts: 995 ✭✭✭Ryder

....also, also you could practice by removing one of the remaining strings and retuning it so that if you make a mistake its on a string you have a replacement of.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 13,423 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

Happened me a few weeks ago. Ordered on eBay and had them within 3 days!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,651 ✭✭✭✭beauf

Everyone has to learn how to change a string. Lots of guides on YouTube.

Buy two sets. Imagine you order one and break it putting it on.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,043 ✭✭✭martinedwards

replacing strings is a part of playing the instrument. it's as important as learning to tune the thing!

all the above info is good.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,210 ✭✭✭nelly17

Buy a clip on tuner ( or download the Boss Tuner App on your phone) as well as a set of strings and use google for the rest

Might as well order a few sets of strings so you have replacements handy. Annoying & frustrating to have to wait to get new ones when you want to play.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,651 ✭✭✭✭beauf

Tend to only break the lighter ones starting out.

Advertisement