Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Where to start

• 08-03-2020 11:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 926 ✭✭✭

Would really like to turn vegetarian. im 42 and eating meat all my life, add to that i am very fussy regarding food i am finding it very difficult.

My wife is a vegetarian for the last 25 years and recently turned vegan.

I know the benefits are great both personally and sustainability wise.

Looking on tips and tricks to starting. Managed 1.5 days this week but found it hard as i was travelling with work in France and just gave in.

Going to try again tomorrow. Any good sites around?

Maybe if i started a blog here it would help?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 782 ✭✭✭65535

I can tell you how I did it, it might not suit everyone but it worked fine for me.
    Don't let it overwhelm you at the start, if you make a mistake or fall out for a while don't let it finish your goal.

I started not eating meat (but eating fish OK) during the weekdays & Saturday but I would have a Sunday dinner - what ever was going Roast etc.
    After 2 months I gave up the Sunday as well and every day was veg (except I allowed myself fish).

After another 2 months or so I gave up fish as well and then I was a vegetarian.

Along the road I then decided to move towards Veganism but that's another story.

• Registered Users Posts: 610 ✭✭✭JustMe,K

Have a look at the happy pear & bosh youtube channels for recipe ideas.

Baby steps are good, think of your non veggie components of a meal and start by replacing them with something else and you will eventually find what suits you best in terms of taste and practicality. Cooking from scratch is satisfying and you can play with flavours that suit you. If you are struggling with replacing actual meat in your diet there are loads of options available until you feel more confident making your own (quorn, linda mccartney, naturli, vivera even do steaks).

Carrying snacks with you might be helpful also, but pretty much everywhere has vegetarian options now.

• Registered Users Posts: 755 ✭✭✭davidjtaylor

And don't worry about it Irishder. You're on the right road. It took us ages.

We ate animal flesh until 1992, when an easy decision to be vegetarian lasted till 2005; one day that year we realised we were near-as-dammit vegan and so just carried on. That part wasn't a specific decision, more part of a logical journey.

The best of luck to you!

Advertisement