Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Fair deal

• 17-02-2020 6:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭

Is there ever an advantage to not applying for the fair-deal scheme? So, worst case scenario is that you apply and because of your asset/income situation you are entitled to nothing. I've read that in certain cases it's better to fund the care cost privately - but I don't understand what you've got to lose by applying for the scheme and getting nothing?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,420 ✭✭✭splinter65

mcardler wrote: »
    Is there ever an advantage to not applying for the fair-deal scheme? So, worst case scenario is that you apply and because of your asset/income situation you are entitled to nothing. I've read that in certain cases it's better to fund the care cost privately - but I don't understand what you've got to lose by applying for the scheme and getting nothing?

Nursing homes cost €1000+ per week. If you don’t apply for the Fair Deal that will have to be paid every week.
    I don’t think you understand the Fair Deal at all What is your understanding of how it works?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 362 ✭✭Die Hard 2019

My dad had a decent pension and basically the fair deal made no sense for him.
    If you send me the figures I'll work it out for you but otherwise I'd say get financial advice from someone

• Registered Users Posts: 3,115 ✭✭✭Dr_Colossus

Nothing fair about it, another disincentive for citizens to be responsible with their life long finances. Forego luxuries and behave sensibly in an effort to save for a rainy day and everything becomes means tested to ensure you get zero return on a career of taxes and levies. Rant over.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 362 ✭✭Die Hard 2019

Nothing fair about it, another disincentive for citizens to be responsible with their life long finances. Forego luxuries and behave sensibly in an effort to save for a rainy day and everything becomes means tested to ensure you get zero return on a career of taxes and levies. Rant over.

He's right
    I'm.happy to run the figures for you for for free op if you want to pm me

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭mcardler

I have run the numbers and my father is not currently entitled to anything as he has a business, a house and savings. My question was, albeit badly phrased, are there any circumstances whereby applying for the fair deal would put you in a worse position than by not applying for it? So in this case by applying for it now the house and business would be disregarded after 3 years and his savings would be reduced by 3 years costs of nursing care - so after 3 years he may be entitled to some state help - therefore in this case it is surely worthwhile applying for fair deal anyway (with a view to possibly receiving some funding after 3 years)? I guess what I'm trying to establish is - are there any circumstances whereby it is not worth applying for fair deal?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,668 ✭✭✭whippet

personally I couldn't find a reason not to last year when I had to move my mother in to full residential care.

While we ran the numbers and hummed and hawed - we burned through €15k in nursing home fees in three months.

Realistically she could spend a decade in the home - with dementia and fairly ok physical health.

The fair deal gave us the choice of home and the security of knowing that her pension will pay for her care. There will be a small charge on the family home. Even if we were to sell the family home to pay for it .. we would be out of money in just over 5 years !!

So .. for us it made sense

• Closed Accounts Posts: 514 ✭✭✭thomasdylan

The fair deal makes sense for most people unless they've large amounts of money and assets or a relatively short life expectancy.

I see people sometimes see the fair deal as taking money away from their possible inheritance but the cost of nursing home care is massive.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,420 ✭✭✭splinter65

mcardler wrote: »
    I have run the numbers and my father is not currently entitled to anything as he has a business, a house and savings. My question was, albeit badly phrased, are there any circumstances whereby applying for the fair deal would put you in a worse position than by not applying for it? So in this case by applying for it now the house and business would be disregarded after 3 years and his savings would be reduced by 3 years costs of nursing care - so after 3 years he may be entitled to some state help - therefore in this case it is surely worthwhile applying for fair deal anyway (with a view to possibly receiving some funding after 3 years)? I guess what I'm trying to establish is - are there any circumstances whereby it is not worth applying for fair deal?

None of this makes sense. You need to consult with your dads accountant/solicitor and be advised by him/her as to wether the Fair Deal is an economically wise move. You have a very confused inaccurate picture of the Fair Deal.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,086 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

I have a family member age 96 who is no longer able to live alone and it looks like the fair deal won’t make sense. She has substantial financial reserves and a valuable home so the fair deal would only contribute about 10% of the nursing home fees.
    These cases are rare but there are situations where it doesn’t make sense. Also there’s the reasonable chance she won’t live the 3 years for the cap on the family home to be of use

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭VanHalen

My friend is 68 and lives with her mum aged 91 as her care giver. If her mum goes into long-term care under the fair deal scheme does this mean the house (where my friend lives with her mother) will need to be sold once her mother dies? (My friend does not own any property herself)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,850 ✭✭✭tabby aspreme

It will depend on the pension and assets the person has, privately run nursing homes cost from 1000 upwards, HSE are somewhere over 1700 per week

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭VanHalen

It will depend on the pension and assets the person has, privately run nursing homes cost from 1000 upwards, HSE are somewhere over 1700 per week

Thanks,
    so if her mother has limited funds apart from her state pension, does this mean the HSE would likely force a sale of her mother's dwelling even though my friend had no property of her own to live in?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,651 ✭✭✭✭Ace2007

VanHalen wrote: »
    Thanks,
    so if her mother has limited funds apart from her state pension, does this mean the HSE would likely force a sale of her mother's dwelling even though my friend had no property of her own to live in?

If the mother has no funds to pay for the nursing home for the first 3 years, a loan would be charged against the house - and this has to be repaid one year after death. If the mother leaves the house to her daughter, she could take a loan out to cover the charge against it.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,599 Mod ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

VanHalen wrote: »
    Thanks,

The HSE won't force the sale. It will force the daughter to cover the loan either by selling the property or by paying back the loan.

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭hero25

I've a similar query as above: is there a disadvantage in applying for Fair deal scheme?

my concern is specific to the timing of disposal of assets. see below reference from HSE site.

So lets say my Dad has a very good pension and he also transferred e.g 500K (made up of shares and money) to his children in e.g. in December 2018. that's within the last 5 years of today.

Lets say he applies for the Fair Deal today, that 500k would be taken into consideration and between his pension, his house and the 500k transferred, he would not qualify for anything from Fair Deal.

If he re-applies again in Jan 2024.... At that stage the 500k is outside the 5 years look back, BUT .... is it really??

The financial assessment includes any assets you have transferred:

in the 5 years before the date of your first application

• As this is his 2nd application, does the 500k still come into the picture? (His first application being in August 2022)
    • is this a disadvantage of appyling for the Fair Deal? Why would he bother applying for it in Aug 2022?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,758 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

The Fair Deal system is very complicated, with a lot of moving parts so I would advise you not to listen to advice on the internet and go see a professional who can work out the financial implications and advise you accordingly.

• Registered Users Posts: 18 FurrySlippers

Notwithstanding that it is very complicated, is it the case that where someone has a large sum of cash and a house, that the 7.5% cap is applied to the value of both, but they take the cash first? And then the house gets looked at?

So, if you had, say 100k cash, and a 500k house, is it 7.5% of the 600k, for 3 years?

Or, is it burn through the 100k till you hit 36k, then 3 years of the house at 500k?

• Registered Users Posts: 78,240 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Note that it may be difficult to get any nursing home at the moment. Aside from food and energy costs, they had been dependent on student nurses for staffing and they have lower availability due to COVID-19.

afraid its both! AFAIK

the 100k cash is part of overall assets. Add on 7.5% of the value of the house, in this case 37500, so year 1 overall assets = 137500.

for simplicity, assume the 100k doesnt reduce over 3 years ..... the 7.5% of the value of the house is no longer taken into consideration after 3 years, but the 100k is still up for grabs!

assets year 1 = 100,000 + 37500 = 137500

assets year 2 = 100,000 + 37500 = 137500

assets year 3 = 100,000 + 37500 = 137500

assets year 4 = 100,000

so depending on the patient's pension and other assets (if any) they may not qualify for Fair Deal.

Edit: there is a 36Kcash/assets allowance of course for a single person

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18 FurrySlippers

Thanks for the response. My assumption was that , let's say nursing care costs 70k per annum, and 80% of the pension is 20k,then the 50k comes from the 7.5% of total assets (64k cash (allowing the 36k cash exemption) +400k house). And its a "bill", so it is paid from cash while there is cash.

Care shortfall is 50k. 7.5% of 464k asset is 34.8k. So the 34.8k is the "bill" for year 1.

Year 2, assets are 400k house and the cash above the 36k threshold so 429.2k. Of this bill (32,190), 29,200 is paid from remainder of cash. Let's say with balance coming from 36k exemption (for simplicity.

Now, in year 3, that is when the house is "touched". At 400k, it is 30k at 7.5%. And that is the "bill" for 3 years.

After that, house is sold on death, say 5 years later, and 3 x 30k (90k) nursing home loan is paid from proceeds, leaving estate worth 410k and whatever cash is left?

Point is: this assumes fair deal applies throughout period, and not just when person runs out of cash?

Is this correct?

Mercifully, we are not at this stage, but looking for an understanding of how all this works..

Notably, the HSE does not give "worked examples" of all of this...

there are some good pages on askaboutmoney.

I'm no expert but have been thru this recently. I know nothing about the Nursing home loan as it didnt apply to our situation.

Below is a very basic calculation using the figures above.

Assumes the elderly person is single and assuming no other assets/savings apart from 100k and none transferred in the previous 5 years!!

It works out that the family/resident would need to come up with 62300 each year for the first 3 years ;-(

It drops in year 4 to 24,800 as the house value is only counted for 3 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,668 ✭✭✭whippet

do you need to factor in the burn down of the savings from €100k in year 1 .. which will diminish the savings in Y2, Y3 etc ?

As i said, i'm no expert!

i suppose if the 100k saving is used to pay Year1 bill they would need to be factored in. I think you can request a re-assessment of your financial situation with the HSE after Year 1 (indeed anytime), and after Year 1 the 100k savings could be quite diminished. It doesnt change things hugely though as can be seen below in very basic calculations, not including any Tax relief allowances ... still a hefty bill in Years 2 and later.

To obtain full Fair Deal benefits, ideally, the potential resident should have had no assets and no savings (above 36k) in their name for the 5 years before they're admitted to care. Difficult to time that!!

Just another example of those who are cautious through their lives, save hard, forego expensive items, holidays etc ... get little thanks if they need Nursing home care at the end of their days. The money they saved and could have spent on enjoying life to the full will be used to fund their Nursing home care.

Ironically, if they had squandered it all on a lavish lifestyle, sold the house - become a tenant - and squandered the proceeds, the State will intervene and foot the Nursing home bill (Thankfully - cos that's what I'm going to do!)

• Registered Users Posts: 201 ✭✭babyboom

My mother is in a nursing home since last December. She is 95, medically fit but physically unable to care for herself. The way it worked for us is as follows:

She had savings of around 120,000. She has a Widow's Pension and a private pension from my dad's employment which together anlmount to around 1,400 per month. Her house is valued at 350,000.

Under Fair Deal, without the loan aspect of the plan, she was entitled to 46 cents per week contribution towards her care so she was paying over 4,000 per month. Although she has substantial savings, she might live to 100, so her money would run out fairly quickly.

Since activating the loan aspect of the scheme she is now subsidised by 2,000 a month. This will be recouped on sale of the house up to a maximum of 7.5% per year, capped after 3 years. We have been advised to contact the office every 12 months and her contribution will be recalculated taking into account her diminishing finances. Basically the less money you have the more that is covered under FD.

Any extra charges such as prescriptions, doctor visits, chiropodist visits, personal care products, hair, nails etc are paid for privately and not included in Fair Deal. They usually add up to about 250 a month extra.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,631 ✭✭✭✭josip

How long does a Fair Deal application take to be assessed ?

• Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭ITgirl73

I am in this predicament now. What was the outcome. Was your friend forced to pay back the loan or was she allowed to defer? And if so was it because they were on social welfare!

• Registered Users Posts: 20,511 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

They take & 7% of the value of your home each year but only for a maximum of 3 years ,

You can pay that maximum off 21 % off if you want or you can sell the home to pay it ,

• Registered Users Posts: 10,183 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

Too limited a response; if the person who continues to be living in the house was previously in receipt of carers allowance, they can defer repayment and continue living there indefinitely. There are other circumstances in which this also applies.

https://www2.hse.ie/services/schemes-allowances/fair-deal-scheme/nursing-home-loan/#deferring-repayment-of-the-nursing-home-loan

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 322 ✭✭animalinside

What kind of feckin eejits are they that they called it "fair deal"?

Is that supposed to persuade people it's fair? Isn't that just adding fuel to the fire for people who get decimated by it? If anything it's as well that they called it "fair deal" so that people get enraged about it and try to get it changed.

Nursing home care is expensive yes, and who's fault is that? How does it cost over €1,000 a week per resident despite them all living so closely together?

They can charge anything they want and you have no say and no rights.

It's all greed and all a scam.

Advertisement