Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Currently buying/selling a house? How is it going? READ MOD NOTE POST #1

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,365 ✭✭✭Sono

Dav010 wrote: »
    Shocked in a good or bad way?

In a good way but sure it’s all relative, the new house we buy will be higher also.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,429 ✭✭✭Woshy

Sono wrote: »
    Looking to sell and buy this year in D13, had estate agent out last week and was shocked at the value he placed on it, have looked at Raheny as a place to move to but the stock is either in bits or way over priced and require work.

We had a similar conversation with our estate agent last year when we sold our house - shocked in a good way at the price. You should take it with a pinch of salt. We sold for 45k under that estimate and there's plenty more with experiences like this in this forum. Lots of EAs are still way overestimating prices

Woshy wrote: »
    We had a similar conversation with our estate agent last year when we sold our house - shocked in a good way at the price. You should take it with a pinch of salt. We sold for 45k under that estimate and there's plenty more with experiences like this in this forum. Lots of EAs are still way overestimating prices

That’s fair enough and good advice too, no harm throwing it onto the market and testing the waters, see if there is any interest, under no pressure to sell.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,489 ✭✭✭VW 1

Trying to buy and sell in d 9/11 area. Been looking for a house for over a year, have spent three years gradually renovating and modernising the house we are in after buying an F rated house in an executor sale. Trying to buy something needing minimal work as we need to move in straight from selling our own. Very little stock in that condition coming online and what we have seen is going for 430k plus, which we feel is just too expensive for a 3 bed 90-100sq m house.

Likely going to withdraw and keep the powder dry and come back to the market in 12-18 months as we are in no real rush to move.

• Registered Users Posts: 446 ✭✭ebayissues

A house I was looking at in D3 with an asking of 360k/370k has an offfer of 430k or higher at this stage as I pulled out at 375k.

By my estimate it still needs about 100/120k worth of work.

• Advertisement

I posted earlier in the thread about a house we were looking at with a way too high asking price. We put in an offer 35k under the asking and it was rejected as being too low. The sellers wanted asking price. There were no other bidders so we walked away - we were not bidding against ourselves. That was 5 weeks ago.

This week I get a phone call from the EA to say that we are still the only bidder and the sellers are now dropping the asking price as they have gone sale agreed on a new property themselves. He was ringing us first as a courtesy before putting the new asking price on the ad. We thought this meant they would be more motivated to sell.

We offered 5k more than our original offer which is 10k under the new asking price - at this stage we are technically bidding against ourselves. The sellers have rejected that and we were told they are putting the price drop up online and arranging more viewings to "get as much money as possible"

We then offered the new asking price on the condition that the house is taken off the market straight away and we're sale agreed and we start the process. Estate Agent seems to think this is a good idea but he has to go back to the sellers who she says may want to go back to market. We are currently waiting.

I know they bought the house for 70k less than what we have offered just 5 years ago. It's on the property price register. It hasn't had that much work done to it. At this point surely it is just pure greed?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,758 ✭✭✭spurshero

I posted earlier in the thread about a house we were looking at with a way too high asking price. We put in an offer 35k under the asking and it was rejected as being too low. The sellers wanted asking price. There were no other bidders so we walked away - we were not bidding against ourselves. That was 5 weeks ago.

This week I get a phone call from the EA to say that we are still the only bidder and the sellers are now dropping the asking price as they have gone sale agreed on a new property themselves. He was ringing us first as a courtesy before putting the new asking price on the ad. We thought this meant they would be more motivated to sell.

We offered 5k more than our original offer which is 10k under the new asking price - at this stage we are technically bidding against ourselves. The sellers have rejected that and we were told they are putting the price drop up online and arranging more viewings to "get as much money as possible"

We then offered the new asking price on the condition that the house is taken off the market straight away and we're sale agreed and we start the process. Estate Agent seems to think this is a good idea but he has to go back to the sellers who she says may want to go back to market. We are currently waiting.

I know they bought the house for 70k less than what we have offered just 5 years ago. It's on the property price register. It hasn't had that much work done to it. At this point surely it is just pure greed?
    I would tell them that’s your final offer and it stands till Friday at 5 or whatever . Put that ball in your court . That’s if your happy to walk away yourself. I live in a nice estate just outside Galway . 12 to 18 months ago if a house went for sale it was gone in the next few weeks . There is 2 houses for sale in it now for the last 5 months give or take . There’s defo some kind of slowdown or uncertainty out there .

• Registered Users Posts: 898 ✭✭✭Tazium

Checked out a house recently at asking price 475k. Wife and I were quite interested in it and felt it deserved the asking price relative to others in the area. It sold for 528K. Which was outside our budget anyway, but that's the market.

spurshero wrote: »
    I would tell them that’s your final offer and it stands till Friday at 5 or whatever . Put that ball in your court . That’s if your happy to walk away yourself. I live in a nice estate just outside Galway . 12 to 18 months ago if a house went for sale it was gone in the next few weeks . There is 2 houses for sale in it now for the last 5 months give or take . There’s defo some kind of slowdown or uncertainty out there .

We are happy to walk away. We're not in a rush or a situation where we are desperate to buy. Our house is sold and we're living somewhere we can stay indefinitely. We already walked away once and we'll do it again. They're the ones who need to sell. I think we've been generous and we only did that because the house is in excellent condition and needs basically nothing done to it (which I think is why they think they should get loads for it)

I def think there is a slowdown too.

We've told the EA the offer we've made at the new asking price is conditional on them going sale agreed, taking the house off the market and not arranging more viewings etc. So if they do go choose to go back to the market to try get more money then that offer is off the table and we're out.

They'd be mad not to take it and I know the EA agrees but some people can only see euro signs

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,651 ✭✭✭✭beauf

I ...At this point surely it is just pure greed?

Offering less or asking more. Same difference...

I think you have set a budget and be willing to walk away if someone is being unreasonable.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,627 ✭✭✭Wildly Boaring

Sold last year. Got a valuation from preferred EA that I felt was too high.
    Put on market 10% lower. We were happy to sell at this lower figure
    Sold at his valuation after a few bids.

It's possible if we went with his valuation we'd have got even more but it's also possible we could have put off those looking at the lower figure.

God we got some cheeky low ball offers.
    50k lower
    Lads essentially offering to buy without survey etc if we sold "today"

Glad it's all over
    We bought new build
    Found the houses on offer secondhand were way too close to price of new.
    Made couple offers, the houses are still for sale.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,308 ✭✭✭beggars_bush

Trying to buy something at the moment

Have actually offered 5k more than the listed asking price but vendor wants to put it back on rental market and wants higher bids

I'm confused.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭Minime2.5

I saw the following in waterford which would suit me as a sole buyer.

https://touch.daft.ie/new-home-for-sale/terraced-house-two-bed-terraced-radharc-na-siuire-knockboy-grantstown-waterford-city-co-waterford/1393198

Im just wondering how in total after the 16500k deposit id need for solicitor fees and furnature

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭ Emory Future Bleach

Friend put up her house in D16 last week. Has first open viewing Saturday. Will be interesting to watch.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,072 ✭✭✭JohnnyChimpo

Minime2.5 wrote: »

https://touch.daft.ie/new-home-for-sale/terraced-house-two-bed-terraced-radharc-na-siuire-knockboy-grantstown-waterford-city-co-waterford/1393198

Im just wondering how in total after the 16500k deposit id need for solicitor fees and furnature

Stamp Duty will be 1,650. Solicitors Fees somewhere between 2-3k incl. various fees. Survey+valuation will be 5-600. So a little over 5k there.

I don't think you can honestly expect people to tell you how much you're going to pay for furniture...

• Registered Users Posts: 13,979 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

I don't think you can honestly expect people to tell you how much you're going to pay for furniture...

If you have free access to a van and some time, you can kit out a house for the cost of the fuel usually.

Offer accepted

• Registered Users Posts: 19,369 ✭✭✭✭road_high

Minime2.5 wrote: »

Property in Waterford is great value. If you were Dublin based and could work from home with some office days it’s an ideal relocation spot for people caught in the Dublin rental trap

Has anyone every gone sale agreed on a house and then the vendor had removed the furniture and other fittings and not included them as part of the sale?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,426 ✭✭✭ZX7R

Has anyone every gone sale agreed on a house and then the vendor had removed the furniture and other fittings and not included them as part of the sale?

It should have been specified if the house was for sale as fully furnished.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,627 ✭✭✭Wildly Boaring

Yeah
    We sold our house last year
    We took all the furniture with us to the new house.
    It's our furniture.
    Took most curtains, lampshades, white goods etc.

ZX7R wrote: »
    It should have been specified if the house was for sale as fully furnished.

It was
    Twice by the estate agents

• Registered Users Posts: 3,426 ✭✭✭ZX7R

It was
    Twice by the estate agents

Inform your solicitor, you may get some money off the price,
    But it might not be worth the hassle.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,108 ✭✭✭TheSheriff

Few viewings today around Dublin, fairly quiet - probably due to the storm.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭ Alfredo Loud Register

My parents are selling my grandmother's house in a prime area close to UCC and town. My mom wanted to try and hang onto it after she passed away, for sentimental reasons, and so my dad maintained it and rented it out to students for about a decade (he was an amazing landlord, he really went above and beyond). He described it as like having a part-time job that didn't actually cover the overheads when you consider the amount of tax owing on a second property.

One time the tenants called him at 7am on Sunday to change a lightbulb.

They have reached sale agreed, but the buyer is now refusing to pay the price they settled on. They presume he's holding out for them to get desperate and go lower, but they aren't under any pressure, so they're not going to go lower. I'd imagine many people meet at this impasse in this climate. I kind of said 'would you not just do it, you're not stuck for the money' but I can see why they'd stick to their guns too.

We’ve gone sale agreed on the property discussed above! We’re pleased that in the end the sellers were willing to negotiate even though at first they said they wouldn’t.

We went back to view it again as it had been a while since we originally viewed it. We’re really glad now that we did offer the extra to go sale agreed because we really like the house. Apparently they want a quick sale so fingers crossed it all goes well and doesn’t fall through!

ZX7R wrote: »
    Inform your solicitor, you may get some money off the price,
    But it might not be worth the hassle.

You may well be right.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,890 ✭✭✭Bullocks

My parents are selling my grandmother's house in a prime area close to UCC and town. My mom wanted to try and hang onto it after she passed away, for sentimental reasons, and so my dad maintained it and rented it out to students for about a decade (he was an amazing landlord, he really went above and beyond). He described it as like having a part-time job that didn't actually cover the overheads when you consider the amount of tax owing on a second property.

One time the tenants called him at 7am on Sunday to change a lightbulb.

They have reached sale agreed, but the buyer is now refusing to pay the price they settled on. They presume he's holding out for them to get desperate and go lower, but they aren't under any pressure, so they're not going to go lower. I'd imagine many people meet at this impasse in this climate. I kind of said 'would you not just do it, you're not stuck for the money' but I can see why they'd stick to their guns too.

That would drive me mad, definitely would go bargaining at this stage. I would keep it on the market in case he doesn't have the money he offered either

• Registered Users Posts: 692 ✭✭✭Cushtie

Will be selling in Limerick County in the coming months. Selling current house to finance build of another. Will need to Rent in between. The selling part I am definitely not looking forward to. Got a few valuations last year. Big variance between lowest and highest between a few estate agents. Interesting times ahead.

• Advertisement

Viewed the latest phase of Belltree in D13 yesterday, very underwhelming to say the least, wasn’t impressed at all.

Advertisement