Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

The Weekend On One With Brendan O'Connor

• 11-01-2020 12:01pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,415 ✭✭✭

Yep, that is what they are calling it apparently just heard it announced by the continuity announcer.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,420 ✭✭✭✭sligojoek

• Registered Users Posts: 1,654 ✭✭✭GSF

So they have renamed the existing 6 to 8 am slot on Saturday and Sunday to Rising Time as this was previously called The weekend on one. Confused yet?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,415 ✭✭✭generalgerry

The Power Of Now: Making Tea Addon

• Registered Users Posts: 6,431 ✭✭✭touts

Jesus this is awful durge. Marian had the depth of intelligence and questioning ability to make boring things interesting but BOC just doesn't cut it. So far his typical level of intellectual examination has been to ask if Orcas are the same as Killer Whales and if a swimmer got stung when she came across a load of jelly fish. It's like listening to a transition year radio project.

GSF wrote: »
    So they have renamed the existing 6 to 8 am slot on Saturday and Sunday to Rising Time as this was previously called The weekend on one. Confused yet?

No..They changed the name of a couple of programmes..No big deal...

• Advertisement

I would be happy for Brendan to take over the job full time.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,951 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Thought it was average enough.
    I would always have debated rte and their crazy wages, but Marian was in a different level to the likes of Brendan.

Same academics, same reporters, same class of people. The show really needs to introduce some real people on to the show. For a station that gives us chapter and verse on equality and diversity, they are very discriminating in the opinions that they are willing to have on the show.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,078 ✭✭✭spakman

BOC seems to have a 'play it safe and let's get this finished without causing any controversy' mentality.
    Does not make for compelling listening.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,668 ✭✭✭serfboard

David Horgan, from Petrel Resources is on in this slot yet again. Why does this guy keep getting invited back?

He tried to shoehorn a completely irrelevant anti-climate change point into the discussion there, but Brendan shut him off fairly sharpish.

• Advertisement

spakman wrote: »
    BOC seems to have a 'play it safe and let's get this finished without causing any controversy' mentality.

Hamfistedly shuts down chat he does'nt like and want.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,065 ✭✭✭✭Odyssey 2005

Hes certainly riding this horse with his neon FG hat on.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,477 ✭✭✭Oops69

is he a government spokesman ? , if he's trying to present the contrary view , he should have a government spokesperson on .
    He seems to be a bit like The disastrous Charlie Flanagan and have us all singing kumbaya around the campfire regarding the RIC issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,477 ✭✭✭Oops69

there's no need for a news Bulletin at 12... shake the goddamn programme up bit for feck sake man .

• Registered Users Posts: 822 ✭✭✭newcavanman

I used to really like BOC whenhe had the Cutting Edge. He seemed to go for the sensible approach as opposed to the usual RTE liberal left wing view. However, since he took up the radio slot , he seems to have become a total RTE insider. Always following the company line, the defacto position seems to be " in fairness ". This is like a programme on Hezbollah FM

• Registered Users Posts: 19,043 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

I happen to think Ballsy is doing a good job.

Asking a few pertinent questions and cutting through a fair deal of bull.

The medical people he had on seemed to ‘have all the answers’ to fix the system, just like doctors, just like the nurses, just like the unions, just like the admin people, just like the paramedics, just like the ancillary staff, just like man in the street.........

Hmmmm..........get the message.... it’s unworkable under its present total makeup and management.

Does this woman think that the bush fires were caused by spontaneous ignition due to climate change? If she is suggesting that the ignition source was not nefarious individuals (as suggested by the PM) then she needs to clarify exactly what the ignition source is, and not just say "it's due to climate change".

• Registered Users Posts: 13,505 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

I used to really like BOC whenhe had the Cutting Edge. He seemed to go for the sensible approach as opposed to the usual RTE liberal left wing view. However, since he took up the radio slot , he seems to have become a total RTE insider. Always following the company line, the defacto position seems to be " in fairness ". This is like a programme on Hezbollah FM

O Connor had his teeth pulled several years ago

He was vaguely edgy twenty years ago, completely establishment compliant nowadays

• Registered Users Posts: 740 ✭✭✭purifol0

Talk about the HSE here with absolutely no criticism of those that work there and deliberately hold the place to ransom whenever change is mooted. Very cheeky of one guest to suggest the HSE is abusing GP's for giving them so many patients, didn't mention that doctors have no problem talking the HSE money for each and every one of those patients who only get 5 minutes a piece of said very precious (and lucrative) doctors time.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,505 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

Does this woman think that the bush fires were caused by spontaneous ignition due to climate change? If she is suggesting that the ignition source was not nefarious individuals (as suggested by the PM) then she needs to clarify exactly what the ignition source is, and not just say "it's due to climate change".

Mary mcauliffe is a ghastly woman, career man hater and a fundamentalist on all the PC causes

• Advertisement

Funny how Harry decided to do this at the same time as the big controversy with his uncle. ;-)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,530 ✭✭✭PieOhMy

The cutting edge appears to have been blunted considerably.

I’d be prepared to give Ballsy a good run.

Would make a change from the agenda pumped out by that station on a lot of these magazine shows.

Lot of sacred cows out there getting big support from certain quarters on certain gender issues.

No harm for a bit of diversity, in my opinion.

PieOhMy wrote: »
    The cutting edge appears to have been blunted considerably.
    In the last series, i dont think it was so much blunted as castrated. The high point was when we had Hookie, giving it both barrels . You didnt have to agree with him, but the debates were always enjoyable. When it degenerated to a group of like minded individuals, all of the same viewpoint it was ****ed. TBH, it didnt matter if they were all, Liberal, or Conservative, the crack was in the debate

I’d be prepared to give Ballsy a good run.

Would make a change from the agenda pumped out by that station on a lot of these magazine shows.

Lot of sacred cows out there getting big support from certain quarters on certain gender issues.

No harm for a bit of diversity, in my opinion.
    In RTE or any of the media in Ireland , these days, you can have all the diversity you want, so long as no one is prepared to voice a contrary , non liberal left wing opinion . Joe Duffy hosted a programme over Christmas, discussing those who died during 2019 . I dont know how, but they managed to agree that Robert Mugabe had been a great leader for Zimbabwe and had transformed the education system. He also introduce,dictatorship , murder oppression and famine , but once most people could read and write, everything was fine and the other bits could be overlooked

• Registered Users Posts: 32,951 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

It ruined his tv show too.

Started off slightly controversial and interesting.

By the last series it was a hard watch, with BOC often shutting guests up if he suspected they were about to say something the herd wouldn't like.

In RTE or any of the media in Ireland , these days, you can have all the diversity you want, so long as no one is prepared to voice a contrary , non liberal left wing opinion . Joe Duffy hosted a programme over Christmas, discussing those who died during 2019 . I dont know how, but they managed to agree that Robert Mugabe had been a great leader for Zimbabwe and had transformed the education system. He also introduce,dictatorship , murder oppression and famine , but once most people could read and write, everything was fine and the other bits could be overlooked

Hmm.... don’t recall that ,but be that as it may, there is a a clique, in my opinion, of folk in RTE who would seem to champion a lot of women’s issues,and bridle up very rapidly if someone takes them on .

Now nothing wrong with that but let’s admit that it exists and not beat about the bush.

Ballsy, although constricted by the PSB act, for me would be a bit of a change from that agenda.

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭isohon

Same academics, same reporters, same class of people. The show really needs to introduce some real people on to the show. For a station that gives us chapter and verse on equality and diversity, they are very discriminating in the opinions that they are willing to have on the show.

'Chapter and verse on equality'

Bah!

How tired and sad you must be, how decaying and self satisfied.

BOC... FG shill... mortifying.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,396 Mod ✭✭✭✭humberklog

I didn't listen to the end to hear the credits but I'm guessing a lot of the previous backroom staff are still in the picture going the guests on today.

Let BO'C on with the gig (I've been saying it for some time now) but the producers and researchers need to be shuffled out of the deck sooner rather than later to give that slot a new tone to go with the new presenter.

At the moment it's all too much of the same old shtick and I think it needs to change lanes quickly otherwise the ghost of Marian's legacy will linger on air.

It's a bit of a Trigger's broom situation where a new broom is required.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭hankless

Oops69 wrote: »
    there's no need for a news Bulletin at 12... shake the goddamn programme up bit for feck sake man .

As the state broadcaster don't they legally have to do a news bulletin on the hour? Either way, they have to pause for the Angelus at noon so...:rolleyes:

Advertisement