Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Quiz marque 2

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

keane2097 wrote: »
    Pretty sure that's snakes.

It is indeed.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,768 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

I had a spell where we kept not knowing phobias at quizzes so I tried to learn off as many as possible. They seem to need fairly regular refreshing but some of them stick in the brain alright.

Along a similar line, can anyone tell me what a labeorphilist is?

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,296 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

Fear of mosquitoes?

Edit: skipped a page, sorry. But I'm sure that even snakes fear mosquitoes...

• Registered Users Posts: 71,799 ✭✭✭✭Ted_YNWA

Someone who loves working?

I had a spell where we kept not knowing phobias at quizzes so I tried to learn off as many as possible. They seem to need fairly regular refreshing but some of them stick in the brain alright.

Along a similar line, can anyone tell me what a labeorphilist is?

I had a cousin who was a Labologist - collected beer bottle labels and we used to say it would have been easier to be a labeorphilist and just collect the entire beer bottle.

• Advertisement

I had a cousin who was a Labologist - collected beer bottle labels and we used to say it would have been easier to be a labeorphilist and just collect the entire beer bottle.

That's it!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,887 ✭✭✭IrishZeus

My biggest problem is the definition of jungle, so I'll assume Rain Forests.

The oldest surviving would be Taman Negara in Malaysia. The youngest is a conundrum, as many areas are replanted. I'll guess, for a naturally occurring forest, Sri Lanka.

Apologies for the delay in coming back on this. My source for the question was the new Our Planet series which gave the Congo (18,000years) as the youngest rainforest and Borneo as the oldest (130,000,000years).

Rocky Weak Label, you may know better so happy to take your direction on this!!

Bump

IrishZeus wrote: »
    Bump

:o

What's the modern equivalent of Batavia?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,631 ✭✭✭✭OldGoat

Is that Melbourne in Australia? It was called Batville or Battopia or something similar originally. I just remember it having a Batman Park which makes me smile childishly.

I'm older than Minecraft goats.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,296 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

Indonesia?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,636 ✭✭✭feargale

The Netherlands ( so called by the Romans.)

But it is also the former name of Jakarta. (so called by the Dutch.)

OldGoat wrote: »
    Is that Melbourne in Australia? It was called Batville or Battopia or something similar originally. I just remember it having a Batman Park which makes me smile childishly.

EDIT: I'm off the mark with this guess. Just checked the history of Melbourne. It was once called Batmania. :)
    feargale wrote: »
    The Netherlands ( so called by the Romans.)

But it is also the former name of Jakarta. (so called by the Dutch.)

Jakarta was what I was looking for.

Your question...

If this one doesn't stump Srameen I'm giving up.

What is odonatology?

You'd better give up, so, I bet he'll get it in five seconds flat.

If this one doesn't stump Srameen I'm giving up.

What is odonatology?
    Odonata are the Order that includes Dragonflies and Damselflies, so logic suggests it the study of said insects. Right in my field.

Odonata are the Order that includes Dragonflies and Damselflies, so logic suggests it the study of said insects. Right in my field.

Right on. I'm going to fetch the bottle of whiskey and the revolver.

Similar question.

What is Phytology?

Right on. I'm going to fetch the bottle of whiskey and the revolver.

Make sure you drink the whiskey first. I’ve made that mistake before.

Similar question.

What is Phytology?

Botany? Study of plants?

• Advertisement

Botany? Study of plants?

Correct and right.

Correct and right.

Keeping it going... what is Vexillology?

Yes this is one I know! Flags, right?

EDIT: I'm off the mark with this guess. Just checked the history of Melbourne. It was once called Batmania. :)

sheldon.gif

Correcto - you’re up!

What does TT stand for in Isle of Mann TT?

What does TT stand for in Isle of Mann TT?
    Tourist Trophy. Finally, got one. :) I used to think it stood for time trials.

OK, what prompted Sir Hugh Beaver to create the Guinness Book of World Records?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,002 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Oh lord I know that one. Something about him and his brother idly discussing records of -something - over a pint, and they started to assemble them. Or something.

Edit: Lol, so near and yet so all over the place!

Tourist Trophy. Finally, got one. :) I used to think it stood for time trials.

OK, what prompted Sir Hugh Beaver to create the Guinness Book of World Records?

He was out shooting with Mr. Guinness in the Wexford slobs and they had an argument about the superlatives of some bird or other, and he then got the superlative brainwave of gathering all superlatives in one book.
    I think I have a first edition somewhere. It was always interesting until they dumbed it down about 20 or 30 years ago.
    First edition said Ireland had the world's lowest suicide rates, back in "the good old days" when that wasn't talked about and juries avoided upsetting the bereaved by almost invariably recording accidental death.

P.S. Actually I'm wondering if his companion at the Slobs was one of the McWhirter twins.

• Advertisement

He was out shooting with Mr. Guinness in the Wexford slobs and they had an argument about the superlatives of some bird or other, and he then got the superlative brainwave of gathering all superlatives in one book.
    I think I have a first edition somewhere. It was always interesting until they dumbed it down about 20 or 30 years ago.
    First edition said Ireland had the world's lowest suicide rates, back in "the good old days" when that wasn't talked about and juries avoided upsetting the bereaved by almost invariably recording accidental death.

P.S. Actually I'm wondering if his companion at the Slobs was one of the McWhirter twins.
    Spot on. Arguments about which was the fastest bird prompted him to create what was to be a reference book. The McWhirters came in on the job later.

#If ya want to be the best,
    if you want to beat the rest,
    Dedication is what ya need#
    R.Castle.

Advertisement