Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

8Radio

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,991 ✭✭✭Declan A Walsh

I'm glad I happened to tune into Steve Conway's A to Z of Great Tracks tonight. It was worth it alone for A Face in the Crowd (Tom Petty), A Forest (The Cure), A Girl called Johnny (The Waterboys) and A Girl Like You (Edwyn Collins)...and it's not over yet!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,101 ✭✭✭Max Headroom

Enjoying Mark Rileys A-Z of Punk on 6music every evening ....nostalgic..:o

Must investigate that!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,392 ✭✭✭its_steve116

God save the punk!

God save the punk!

I now have the polar opposite of a Mohawk....:(:(

BTW..Polar opposite , good album by Sick Puppies , check them out..

• Advertisement

Enjoying Indies Greatest Hits with Simon Maher at the moment. I would not normally get to hear 8Radio at this hour of the day.

18:34 Jimmy Eat World - The Middle
    18:31 Bess Atwell - Co op
    18:28 REM - Pop Song 89
    18:25 Case Conrad - Heavy metal bars
    18:21 Skunk Anansie - Twisted (Everyday Hurts)
    18:17 Samantha Crain - Bloomsday
    18:14 Ben Folds Five - Army
    18:11 Teleman - Fun Destruction
    18:08 Ladyhawke - Back of the van
    18:04 Santigold - Get some
    18:01 Claud - Guard Down
    17:57 Simple Minds - Promised You A Miracle
    17:52 The Go Team - World remember me now
    17:50 Dutch Uncles - Flexxin
    17:46 Gorillaz - Dirty Harry
    17:42 Cathal Coughlan - The Knockout Artist

Best hour of music I've heard in a long time.....

• Registered Users Posts: 366 ✭✭Dipole Keith

18:34 Jimmy Eat World - The Middle
    18:31 Bess Atwell - Co op
    18:28 REM - Pop Song 89
    18:25 Case Conrad - Heavy metal bars
    18:21 Skunk Anansie - Twisted (Everyday Hurts)
    18:17 Samantha Crain - Bloomsday
    18:14 Ben Folds Five - Army
    18:11 Teleman - Fun Destruction
    18:08 Ladyhawke - Back of the van
    18:04 Santigold - Get some
    18:01 Claud - Guard Down
    17:57 Simple Minds - Promised You A Miracle
    17:52 The Go Team - World remember me now
    17:50 Dutch Uncles - Flexxin
    17:46 Gorillaz - Dirty Harry
    17:42 Cathal Coughlan - The Knockout Artist

Best hour of music I've heard in a long time.....

Wow, Haven’t heard that Simple Minds song in years

Wow, Haven’t heard that Simple Minds song in years

Promised You a Miracle is one of those Simple Minds songs that has been largely ignored on mainstream radio and should get the odd play. Another one is Someone Somewhere. We won't even talk about their earlier songs like Chelsea Girl or American Love Song! I would love to hear New Gold Dream being played. Might request that one next time I am listening to a live broadcast of 8Radio.com.

Promised You a Miracle is one of those Simple Minds songs that has been largely ignored on mainstream radio and should get the odd play. Another one is Someone Somewhere. We won't even talk about their earlier songs like Chelsea Girl or American Love Song! I would love to hear New Gold Dream being played. Might request that one next time I am listening to a live broadcast of 8Radio.com.

Would love to hear that..........and more obscure tracks from R.E.M , Television, Magazine.....younger alternative fans need to hear these older groups...

• Advertisement

They are back with a temporary license run on FM:

We’re ridiculously excited to confirm that 8Radio will be back on FM from October 22nd running for 5 weekends (Friday, Saturday and Sunday) in Dublin, Cork, Limerick and Galway. We continue of course online 24/7 via our Smartphone apps, TuneIn and Smart Speaker. We’re celebrating 8 years of 8Radio playing Indie music to listeners with discerning musical tastes! Join us on FM or online over the next 5 weekends and tell your friends to try 8Radio for size. Thanks to our title sponsor Whelanslive.com for ongoing support and help with this FM run. You can get full details on our FM run HERE.

An old episode of Steve Conway's The A to Z of Great Track is being relayed tonight online - songs starting with "W" - from some time last year. Up to last week, he was going through the alphabet again and was in the middle of songs starting with "B". The penny did not drop straight away when he said he had been doing this just over 6 years: he started it in January 2014, so this episode had to be during the first half of 2020!

I wonder is that a mistake or has he managed to fall behind for some reason. I will try to listen to the "repeat" on Saturday at 10am just in case the coming temporary license has changed the schedule around. It will be on FM at that stage, which could be handy.

Incidentally, last night the RDS on 105.2 FM, recently vacated by Freedom FM, said 8Radio.

• Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭turbocab

overmodulated audio on 105.2 .tuner is muting on peaks of audio chaps

• Registered Users Posts: 1,440 ✭✭✭KildareP

Test audio this morning on 105.2 and showing 8RADIO. There is a hiccup in the audio every minute or so, sounds like a skip on the playout system.

• Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭Nialler73

I had it on in the car for around half an hour last night. Delighted to have it back. Should be there permanently.

I listened for a bit this morning and again this evening. It was great to have them back on FM. The ever knowledgeable Dan McDermott was on first thing and the ever cheerful Simon Maher was on this evening!

I caught a bit of Paul Lynskey last night. He is one of the many largely unsung talents of 8Radio.com. He did a good job. Curiously, MW pirate Energy Power AM were relaying 8Radio.com last night! 

Incidentally, I heard a bit of 8Radio this afternoon, It came in loud and clear on the car radio on its Dublin frequency of 105.2 all the way up in Drogheada, Co. Louth. That's a good reach.

• Registered Users Posts: 400 ✭✭Conway635

That was unplanned - a glitch in the works somewhere. The correct episode was broadcast in the repeat slot on the Saturday. I'm currently about two-thirds of the way through "B" on the second round of the alphabet.

Steve

Thanks Steve. I have managed to get almost every week since you went back to A - almost always Wednesdays! Saturdays at 10am does not suit anymore, whereas it used to some years ago! I used the On Demand a couple of times to catch up, although I missed out on that particular one!

Keep up the good work.

On a different note, I see that Amber is still on Sunday mornings. Fair play to her. She has been with 8Radio.com since the start.

I heard a bit of 8Radio this afternoon, I could just about pick it up near Curtlestown Woods (a bit outside Enniskerry, Co.Wicklow), but when I got to Enniskerry, it came in loud and clear on the car radio on its Dublin frequency of 105.2. To be fair, Enniskerry is just over the border!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,738 ✭✭✭eyeball kid

I was getting good reception along the N4 as far as Longford when I was driving up the country a couple of weeks back. Used to be able to get Phantom that far away as well back in the day. Nice to hear them on fm even if only temporarily.

It is a bit bizarre for Simon Maher and others on 8Radio.com that were previously with Phantom/TXFM, as it was on the same frequency as 8Radio now uses in Dublin for the temporary run - 105.2 FM!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,738 ✭✭✭eyeball kid

Was thinking it was the same frequency as it used to drop at roughly the same location. 8radio does seem to be a real continuation of Phantom and TXFM. Listen to it online most days.

It is the same frequency but it's not the same transmitter or operation or specific location! In fact, Simon launched 8Radio.com in 2013 online while Phantom was still broadcasting, and the latter's name change to TXFM did not happen until 2014! He had left in 2011. The first couple of years of temporary license runs were not on 105.2 FM for Dublin because TXFM was still broadcasting on that allocated frequency! 94.3 FM was the first allocated FM frequency in Dublin for 8Radio.com back in 2013!

8Radio.com has had temporary license runs (sometimes split up across a year) every year since, except for last year when it was caught out by the pandemic. I think I am right in saying it is the station that comes second on the list of those with most temporary license runs, with the record definitely being held by Christmas FM.

Looks like there is another glitch with the A to Z of Great Tracks. It should be in the middle of the letter C second time around. Instead, this evening, an episode with the letter "W" is on again from 2020! He mentioned 6 years - could this be the same episode that was repeated late last year: see posts #43 and #49!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,646 ✭✭✭BaronVon

Back on FM for the next 5 weekends after this weekend!

Nothing for the North West again! Christmas Fm can have a service here every year,why not 8 Radio?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,054 ✭✭✭SimonMaher

Hi Zorro!

Simple answer to that one. Cash money. Costs us extra in fees and royalties for every extra transmitter we put on. We would love to do the same network as Christmas FM but sadly the budget just isn't there so that's why it's the 4 cities. Hopefully in the future we'll be able to extend further!

Simon

8Radio.com

No problem,Simon, thanks for the explanation!

• Advertisement

I think it's great that you will be back on 105.2, as you were on the previous FM fun, as that used to be the home of Phantom FM.

Advertisement