Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

2020 Bride/Groom

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 601 ✭✭✭zedhead

117 days to go! Starting to get very close and exciting. Organising invites this weekend. Using a website called withjoy.com as we wanted to go paperless.

My dress arrived in the shop this week so going to try it on in 2 weeks (would love to go sooner but I'm just so busy at the moment).

We still haven't picked our DJ. Neither of us really know what to look for so it is hard to differentiate, so does anyone has any tips on what we should be looking for/asking?

Seems like there is so much to do but we are ticking the bits off, I have a feeling the next 4 months is going to fly by.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,409 Mod ✭✭✭✭woodchuck

Do other people get stressed by wedding planning or do they actually find it enjoyable? I just find it's so time consuming and it's really stressing me out as it seems to be a never-ending to do list :/ (on top of a full time job etc) Some people tell me to just take a break from it, but we're getting married in 8 months, so there's not really time to do that as there's still so much to organise (only engaged a few months).

I'm really stuck trying to find a dress atm, which probably isn't helping with the stress levels.

I'm also trying to sort out a cake - I know it shouldn't matter and most people don't give a flying fcuk about the cake, but I LOVE cake! So I'm torn between spending a large amount of money to get something that looks (and tastes) amazing, or save a few hundred euro to get something more basic looking, but will still taste good :/ It's really hard to justify the expense, but I don't want to feel like I've compromised on the wrong things either.

• Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

Yeah me. I love the creative side of things but having to ring people or chase up prices is what I hate.

With the dress, I piggybacked on someone else's shops - she had done all the research of every bridal shop and whittled it down to 3 after trawling through reviews and all that. So I just made appointments with those three and found the dress in the second one. She also came with me and knows me inside out so it meant that she knew my style and wasn't afraid to tell me to take off one that didn't suit.

I don't care all that much for cake but friends are collaborating on that for me and I've tasted their cakes before and know they'll be nice.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,294 ✭✭✭OfflerCrocGod

People are stuffed by the time the cake arrives so they may not have much of it.

People are stuffed by the time the cake arrives so they may not have much of it.

Yeah, I know. I still want something that looks and tastes good though! For myself even, if not the guests :P (I always have room for cake!!)

The cake is just one thing that's stressing me out though.

Does anyone know how to take the stress out of wedding planning in general? I'm trying to get the OH involved, but frankly, that's stressing me out even more. He takes so long to do anything and when he does, it's not done properly :/ I will put my hands up and say I'm a bit of a control freak though! I just feel like it's all on my shoulders to get everything done.

I just don't know how to make it fun :/

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

My OH could not care less about the wedding prep :pac: He's happy to get married, looking forward to a holiday afterwards but about what to eat or colours or anything like that, he could not be less enthused.

So he's got a couple of jobs that suit him - he's the music lover of the two of us so he's got that side of things, and his own suit and the rest I just tell him after I've decided. The venue coordinator for me was a godsend - she knew loads of vendors and I've just gone with her recommendations, but I'm very lax about it all myself.

Some blokes just aren't bothered, and it sounds like hey trusts to make the decisions on the wedding Could you rope in a friend who enjoys that sort of thing to help you instead?

Yeah I tried to delegate things to him that he'd enjoy and/or be good at (and some stuff he just needs to do himself, e.g. suits!). He likes music, but it took him weeks to even start researching DJs. I had asked him to do ceremony music too, but it was just taking too long so ended up taking the lead myself. He's grand when it comes to making decisions together, but I feel I do most of the heavy lifting when it comes to researching, contacting, chasing suppliers.

We do have a list of suppliers from the venue and that's usually my jumping off point. But sometimes the suppliers are unavailable for our date. Even if they are available, I still need to do some research, ask questions, get quotes, compare to other options etc before booking.

My MOH is up to her eyes atm as she just bought a house and started a new job. So there's no way I'd ask her for help with wedding prep. I feel bad enough already just asking her for help with the hen! And my mam wouldn't be much help aside from offering opinions. I don't know who else to ask really :/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,889 ✭✭✭SozBbz

woodchuck wrote: »
    Do other people get stressed by wedding planning or do they actually find it enjoyable? I just find it's so time consuming and it's really stressing me out as it seems to be a never-ending to do list :/ (on top of a full time job etc) Some people tell me to just take a break from it, but we're getting married in 8 months, so there's not really time to do that as there's still so much to organise (only engaged a few months).

I'm really stuck trying to find a dress atm, which probably isn't helping with the stress levels.

I'm also trying to sort out a cake - I know it shouldn't matter and most people don't give a flying fcuk about the cake, but I LOVE cake! So I'm torn between spending a large amount of money to get something that looks (and tastes) amazing, or save a few hundred euro to get something more basic looking, but will still taste good :/ It's really hard to justify the expense, but I don't want to feel like I've compromised on the wrong things either.

I really don't think your guests are going to be that wowed by a cake either way. If it doesnt make sense for you to spend the extra on something visually amazing, then don't.

I've seen both extremely, and honestly once it tastes good thats all that matters. Something not too dense with a nice light icing. THe only cakes I remember not liking were those with that heavy white icing - think shop bought christmas cake - to be fair those are the only ones I really remember because I remember not liking them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,687 ✭✭✭blacklilly

woodchuck wrote: »

I too can get quite stressed with all the planning. I'm generally very organised and on top of most things but the list just seems so long.
    We are getting married in 102 days and just sent invites last night (was a major relief to press the send button on them, we used withjoy.com which I see was mentioned above also). I had hoped to invite a max on 150 ppl but we have sent 215 invites. My OH has a large family and a huge circle of friends.

I've some friends who say they really enjoyed every minute of the planning. I can't say I am but I don't hate it either.
    I've no tips on how to de-stress about it either. Thankfully my OH is quite involved so I guess that is helping me a little bit.

Regarding the cake, if you like your cakes I'd say go for the cake you want, don't scrimp on it. Weddings are so expensive and we spend so much on things that aren't really that important to us. I think it's nice to pick one or two things that you are really into and do them exactly how you'd like to.

• Registered Users Posts: 928 ✭✭✭Shelli2

How about a display cake, way cheaper than the real thing and can be sold on afterwards.
    Then whatever tastes delicious cut behind the scenes. I know a few couple who've done this and I was none the wiser, I only found out my best friend did it when I was discussing cakes with her for my wedding.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭PinkLady2016

Im getting married in 3 days. Think I have everything organised. Some people have pulled out which is annoying but i wont worry too much about that. Im just going to enjoy the day.

• Registered Users Posts: 928 ✭✭✭Shelli2

Have a wonderful day!!

• Registered Users Posts: 501 ✭✭✭cazzer22

Is anyone getting married in 2021? We should set up a thread for that :-)
    Hope all the 2020 brides have a fab day x

• Registered Users Posts: 4,500 ✭✭✭blue note

cazzer22 wrote: »
    Is anyone getting married in 2021? We should set up a thread for that :-)
    Hope all the 2020 brides have a fab day x

And the grooms? :P

• Registered Users Posts: 501 ✭✭✭cazzer22

blue note wrote: »
    And the grooms? :P
    Yes, of course and the grooms. I was clearly tired writing that :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 578 ✭✭✭cant26

How are people who’ve send invites doing with the RSVP’s? It’s driving me cracked! Now we have another week and a half but they are so slow coming in! Don’t care if they aren’t coming, just need my numbers!

• Registered Users Posts: 539 ✭✭✭Teach30

I’ve a few months to go and still haven’t a dress. Should I be getting worried? Lots of what I have seen online are too Cinderella style for me and tried on a few and they weigh a tonne. Can’t imaging hauling around that weight on the day.

Hating the whole process at the minute much easier not think about it all and concentrate on work. Anyone else feel like that?

• Registered Users Posts: 578 ✭✭✭cant26

Teach30 wrote: »
    I’ve a few months to go and still haven’t a dress. Should I be getting worried? Lots of what I have seen online are too Cinderella style for me and tried on a few and they weigh a tonne. Can’t imaging hauling around that weight on the day.

Hating the whole process at the minute much easier not think about it all and concentrate on work. Anyone else feel like that?

You have time. Plenty of places have immaculate sample dresses. I got my dress the end of November.
    Had done a lot of internet research but literally went to one shop that I had researched to have a huge range of amazing samples and bought the fifth dress I tried on.
    Felt the same in that it was very important not to be carrying around 3 stone of material!!
    The wedding planning isn’t my favorite past time either.
    Will be delighted when the whole thing is done and dusted and can focus on what’s important, being married to my best friend!

I'm getting married in 10 days. I'm worried that I'm not massively stressed or busy.

I'm getting married in 10 days. I'm worried that I'm not massively stressed or busy.

Hopefully it's just all the planning you've already done paying off :)

Congratulations! It's nice that you can just relax and enjoy the build up instead of being run off your feet :)

• Advertisement

Getting married in September and finally feeling on top of things! We've the following sorted:
    - Venue
    - Celebrant
    - Photographer (not having videographer)
    - DJ (not having band)
    - Ceremony music
    - Cake
    - Florist
    - Make-up artist (family friend is doing hair)
    - Accommodation
    - Dress... finally!

There are still a lot of decisions to be made for each of those (e.g. we have someone to make the cake, but haven't decided on design/flavour. Someone to do the ceremony music, but haven't decided on the songs etc). I'm feeling more chilled though now that all the big things are done! Still plenty of little things to do and decisions to be made, but nothing that I need to worry about being booked out at least :) I hope anyway :P

We have our intent to marry appointment next week and hoping to order the rings soon just to knock another thing off the list!

Neither of us have found the whole thing stressful at all to be honest. Sorry, I'm not trying to annoy people, but we've often had the conversation of what are we meant to be doing? We looked at a few venues and picked one, goggled a few bands and listened to them, emailed for availability and picked one, same for photographer. Videographer came from a recommendation, my mother's quartert doing church music, friends making the cake. Did the invites online and they were easy to manage. Table plan took a bit of tweaking but was grand.

We're just slightly stressed that we're missing something!

I'm fairness actually, the engagement ring took a lot of trips to the jewellers.

Just on the videographer, anyone we spoke to who had one was delighted with the decision. As in 100% of those people, mainly made up of people who like myself weren't bothered about it. People who don't have them don't regret it, but those that do are delighted with the decision.

That's just my experience from talking to people and why we're getting one. But I just said I might as well share. We got so much advice leading up to the wedding and I was always glad to get it. Much of it I didn't follow, but I rather have the advice and then make up my own mind.

We looked at a few venues and picked one, goggled a few bands and listened to them, emailed for availability and picked one, same for photographer. Videographer came from a recommendation, my mother's quartert doing church music, friends making the cake. Did the invites online and they were easy to manage. Table plan took a bit of tweaking but was grand.

I guess we've taken the same approach so far. I don't know if it's because we have a relatively short engagement (less than 1 year) and because we're getting married on a Saturday, but we did have trouble sourcing some of our suppliers.

The photographer in particular took us weeks to sort out between full time jobs and Christmas celebrations (we were looking in December). I'd spend ages researching them (looking through albums, reviews etc) only to find out they weren't available and started back at square one. We'd arranged a couple of phone calls too before deciding, to get a feel for their personality, as they'll be spending the whole day with us.

We were panicking about getting a humanist too because people say they can book out so far in advance, but it was actually ok in the end. We emailed a bunch of them for availability and then choose from that shortlist. Although it didn't help that the one that was initially our first choice, stood us up for a meeting (she offered to meet). We decided not to go with her after that, so we had to pick another one and organise a phone call with them.

The florist was easy enough, we just went with the venues recommendation. But she offered to meet up to discuss options before booking, so it was another face-to-face that needed to be squeezed in.

And part of it is that we're just indecisive :P It took me ages to decide on a cake supplier for example! And I had 4 appointments before I found a dress I liked :/

The one thing I'm really grateful about is that neither sets of parents are interfering. They're happy to provide opinions when asked, but so far there have been no demands! My sister is another issue, but I won't get into that :P

Just on the videographer, anyone we spoke to who had one was delighted with the decision. As in 100% of those people, mainly made up of people who like myself weren't bothered about it. People who don't have them don't regret it, but those that do are delighted with the decision.

That's just my experience from talking to people and why we're getting one. But I just said I might as well share. We got so much advice leading up to the wedding and I was always glad to get it. Much of it I didn't follow, but I rather have the advice and then make up my own mind.

Thanks for that. Yeah I know not having a videographer is often the "one big regret". It's something we've discussed a lot. I'd be more open to it than my OH, but he's pretty adamant that he doesn't want one. We've hired a good photographer, so happy enough with that.

Both of us are SO CRINGE about videos. Honestly, I've no problems looking at photos of myself, but videos are a whole other level. I'm even cringy watching other peoples video highlights :/ I don't know if part of it is a generation thing. Younger people today (god I sound like an aul wan :P) seem to video everything now. We just... don't!

Our venue is quite tight too, so we don't really want another person walking around trying to find the best angles etc during the ceremony (it's a very small room). We're not bothering with speeches either, just a quick thank you, so nothing to video there.

It's one of those things that if we did decide to do, we wouldn't want to go cheap. I'd be willing to pay for experience, mainly for someone who knows how to be a fly on the wall and not disturb people. But we just can't justify spending the money overall really! We know people who've gotten a videographer and haven't even watched the video. Not that they regret it, but it's a lot of money if it's something you're not that bothered about.

[Having said all this, I'll probably be back in a panic two weeks before the wedding looking for a videographer :P]

Our wedding being in Feb was a big advantage with regard to suppliers actually. We were almost without church music so I mailed about 5 musicians a couple of weeks ago and all were available. Even though it's a sat, Feb is very easy that way, although venues were very tight on availability. We organised in slightly less than a year.

We've little interference too, although I didn't realise how traditional my fiancé's parents were until recently. We suggested that the mother and father go in the car with her to the church and she said oh no, that's not how it's done. She assumed we were going to sit her with my father at the meal, I didn't know this was a thing! And we ordered ribbon for the mass scroll (we're just printing ourselves) and she couldn't believe we weren't going shop to shop to get exactly the shade of the bridesmaid dresses. Jesus, I think I'd actually snap off i had to go through town looking for a particular shade of green ribbon!

Yeah actually I'd say being in February makes it a lot easier!

I've a friend getting married on a Sunday in March and had an 18 month engagement. Naturally she had her pick of suppliers, took her time with everything and doesn't understand why we've been a bit stressed by it all. I keep pointing out that a Saturday in September is a totally different kettle of fish! She also kept telling me to take a break from the planning for six months like she did... when the wedding was 9 months away and we had feck all booked :eek::D

Haha.

As I say, I was happy to receive advice, but honest to God some people are idiots!

It was much worse when we were buying our house though. I started to type a story about that, but on reflection better not to go there!

Haha on top of the wedding planning, we've a mortgage appointment with the bank tomorrow... people tell us we're mad planning a wedding and looking for a house in the same year and you know what... they're probably right :o

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭PinkLady2016

Neither of us have found the whole thing stressful at all to be honest. Sorry, I'm not trying to annoy people, but we've often had the conversation of what are we meant to be doing? We looked at a few venues and picked one, goggled a few bands and listened to them, emailed for availability and picked one, same for photographer. Videographer came from a recommendation, my mother's quartert doing church music, friends making the cake. Did the invites online and they were easy to manage. Table plan took a bit of tweaking but was grand.

We're just slightly stressed that we're missing something!

I'm fairness actually, the engagement ring took a lot of trips to the jewellers.

Probably because you are organised and done the ground work early on. I was like that too. People couldnt believe how relaxed i was. I was worried on the day but everything worked out great and all my guests enjoyed the day which was important too

Advertisement