Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Queen + Adam Lambert : Marlay Park : July 8th 2018

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,039 ✭✭✭innuendo141

Enjoy everyone. Its glorious in here!

• Registered Users Posts: 37,752 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Great but pretty short performance from the Darkness

Hate been virtually challenged always a tall bastard standing in front and have to move around to get a view of the stage

• Registered Users Posts: 10,147 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

dobman88 wrote: »
    There are people with chairs too but they're being kept quite a bit back from the stage.

Not too far back, at the product desk so a decent enough position.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,460 ✭✭✭dobman88

Hurrache wrote: »
    Not too far back, at the product desk so a decent enough position.

Ah yeah, not bad I guess. Just a bit far back for me :)

PTH2009 wrote: »

Hate been virtually challenged always a tall bastard standing in front and have to move around to get a view of the stage

An eternal struggle of a 5ft7 man here...

• Advertisement

On first so couldn't expect much more unfortunately. Pity they weren't on second. They did come on 5 mins early tbf

• Registered Users Posts: 2,378 ✭✭✭RebelButtMunch

Fecking stage is up a hill. Meaning everyone in front of you is slightly higher. Stupid setup.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,147 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

Like myself, and I'm already fretting as the tallest woman in Dublin has settled Infront, I'll be squeezing back in front later.

Bob's and the band giving it socks.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,378 ✭✭✭RebelButtMunch

Hurrache wrote: »
    Like myself, and I'm already fretting as the tallest woman in Dublin has settled Infront, I'll be squeezing back in front later.

Bob's and the band giving it socks.

Yeah. Sound is pretty good

• Registered Users Posts: 1,346 ✭✭✭Mrs Shuttleworth

Never been a fan but the Rats are playing an absolute blinder here.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,683 ✭✭✭hynesie08

The 30 seconds Freddie Mercury was on screen was better than 90% of live concerts......

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,142 Mod ✭✭✭✭cdeb

Bohemian Rhapsody was probably the best live song I've ever heard.

Give Lambert credit too; really fantastic. And nice how open they are that he's not trying to be Freddie

Fantastic gig

The Darkenss played a short but blinding set. It's a pity they never really took off as expected after Permission to land (they were very big back around 2003/2004).

Didn't really listen to much Boomtown Rats or saw much footage of them live before today but my god they were better than I ever expected. Bob was running around the stage like a lunatic and I personally didnt expect that

Queen were amazing as expected, slightly different set than last November. Lambert is a great front man. I didn't think the stage set up would suite an outdoor show but it was good. Quite emotional during the Freddie bit for Love of my Life

Few small things like the angle of the stage (wasant Metallicas stage facing the house ??), tall people and extremely drunk people but u get that at every gig. Heineken is not a nice pint

Well that was an absolutely fantastic couple of hours. Sent a clip of Killer Queen onto my Dad and his response was "wow that guy has a voice". Thought Adam Lambert was brilliant, flamboyant, a showman and a blinding singer.

Went off for food while Bob was on cos I'm. Just not a fan, Darkness were deadly too. Was a big fan of permission to land but never followed them after that but would definitely go to one of their gigs after tonight.

When the missus told me how much she had paid for the tickets i was shocked. After tonight, it was worth every penny. The two videos with Freddie on screen were a lovely touch too.

Great night, great gig.

Also, never thought I'd see the English national anthem being cheered and applauded in a field in Dublin :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,006 ✭✭✭xpletiv

lads.... queen... wow.

Adam lambert is not freddy. he knows that too. thats the important factor.... they were phenomenal. what a fooking set.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 823 ✭✭✭q2xv9rjei4awgb

Amazing gig...

Seen Brian various times, seen himself and Roger with Paul Rodgers...All great gigs!

Nearly 200 gigs and have only ever got tears in my eyes once before at a gig...Tonight, I started getting emotional during Play The Game, Love Of My Life, Last Horizon and the Freddie clip...

• Registered Users Posts: 896 ✭✭✭angel eyes 2012

I was emotional too, it was amazing. AL has such a presence, combined with BM & RT they really pulled it off. Great crowd too and Marlay Park was well organised and perfect setting for the day in it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,346 ✭✭✭Mrs Shuttleworth

That was almost a religious experience. I had to put my shades on to conceal my tears at certain moments.

Lambert is outstanding - an old skool frontman with a mix of brash sexuality and femininity.

Boomtown Rats were spectacular also.

Gig of the Year.

How come the rats are not as popular here than in other places ???

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,750 ✭✭✭Polar101

Anybody know how many people were at the gig? Marlay Park was a lovely venue, it's just getting out of there on a Sunday night that's a problem.

Nice to see Brian May and Roger Taylor.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,677 ✭✭✭Zwillinge

Wasn't expecting too much from this gig.
    Figured Brian May would be good to see.

That whole gig blew me away in every way. Was a fantastic show.

And Adam, hell, he knows who he is and he knows how big those shoes are too fill. He does a phenomenal job! To even take on Under Pressure - had me a little emosh.

I've never liked Marley Park as a venue, but it worked well last night. Maybe cause not so crowded?

Cause Marlay Park is so large can they move the stage around depending on expected numbers ???

What's happens there normally, large grounds ??

I think the Darkness layed out there stage a little wrong ? Those tube things over the lights blocked the view if u were in the middle ??

• Registered Users Posts: 1,006 ✭✭✭xpletiv

Well the haze has dissipated and Im left with the hangover... but still, what a gig. Have some tunes on in the office today. Think I sang every word, the voice is not working so well today...

I cant even pick the highlight songs; every one was a blinder. Brian May had some classy outfits too :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,479 ✭✭✭Kamili

I quite enjoyed the Darkness - pity they weren't on long though. Geldof's comment on How Long does it take to get from Dub Laoghaire to Marlay Park - 40 years made me chuckle. I've never been a mad fan of the Boomtown Rats, but Geldof rally got the crowd going, excellent performance.

As For Adam Lambert, what a performance, he does have massive boots to fill, but by gosh did he fill em! He was just pure class and owned that stage.

I loved the Selfie Stick section with May, that was such a nice touch.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,030 ✭✭✭thebull85

How come the rats are not as popular here than in other places ???

Because Bob Geldof

Had a drink too many last night, paying for it now but worth every minute. Very glad I got to see them outdoors. Hopefully not the last we will see of them!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭clintondaly

Wasn't overly impressed with The Darkness to be honest,The Rats were better than I had expected and I went with the anticipation of feeling the complete opposite,as said already, I loved his how long does it take to get from Dun Laoighre to Marley Park and the "Techno" at the end was a surprise unless its 30 years old and I just never heard it.

A guy in front of me slept through the whole of the darkness and the rats,brought the kids and my 11 year old daughter loved it and she's a Niall Horan fan :)
    Would love to see them with the foo fighters supporting and I think Lambert is a once in a generation artist with the kind of talent to be able to substitute(won't say replace) for Freddie,others have mentioned being emotional and I thought more so than november in the 3 arena.

Overall great gig,will they ever be around again I wonder ?

Wasn't overly impressed with The Darkness to be honest,The Rats were better than I had expected and I went with the anticipation of feeling the complete opposite,as said already, I loved his how long does it take to get from Dun Laoighre to Marley Park and the "Techno" at the end was a surprise unless its 30 years old and I just never heard it.

A guy in front of me slept through the whole of the darkness and the rats,brought the kids and my 11 year old daughter loved it and she's a Niall Horan fan :)
    Would love to see them with the foo fighters supporting and I think Lambert is a once in a generation artist with the kind of talent to be able to substitute(won't say replace) for Freddie,others have mentioned being emotional and I thought more so than november in the 3 arena.

Overall great gig,will they ever be around again I wonder ?

Only ever heard Mondays and Rat trap from the Rats and now have added a few more tracks to my playlist after yesterday

Would love to see a tour with the Foos and Queen playing together but prob won't happen

Hard to knw when they will be back next and with the Bohemian Rhapsody movie coming out in Oct they might get another popularity boost and tour again in 2019/2020. Seen them twice now so not sure would I go again if it's the same setlist next time around ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,137 ✭✭✭horseburger

Polar101 wrote: »
    Anybody know how many people were at the gig? Marlay Park was a lovely venue, it's just getting out of there on a Sunday night that's a problem.

Nice to see Brian May and Roger Taylor.

What were the problems getting out of there?

Advertisement