Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish AFL players

• 03-04-2012 12:33am
    Registered Users Posts: 7,811 ✭✭✭

I just looked at the teams that Dr posted there.
    From what I see McKeever and Hanly got games for Brisbane. Clarke also played for Collingwood. Good to see the Irish lads getting a go.
    No sign of T Walsh in the Swans line up. Let's hope himself and Setanta get going. This could be a record year for Irish players getting consistent game time. Setanta should play once he comes back from injury.
    Hanly scored 2 goals in Round 1. It looks like he is going to nail down his place in the side and even become one of their better players. McKeever in the full back line is interesting. Most of the Irish lads have tended to play half back or midfield. No sign though of that lad who played with Richmond, O'Reilly from Down.
    Thanks to Dr for putting up the teams. It would be good if that could be done every week. I have an app called FootyNow but it doesn't display the teams that played. Neither does the HeraldSun when reporting games. I think the AFL site has the team lists from Thursdays.

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 4,138 Mod ✭✭✭✭bruschi

O Reilly was delisted and as far as I know came back home.

Collingwood also have Cribbon from Kildare and Mooney from Down. By all accounts, Mooney could be the next player to make the breakthrough.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,995 ✭✭✭DoctorGonzo08

It would be good if that could be done every week. I have an app called FootyNow but it doesn't display the teams that played. Neither does the HeraldSun when reporting games. I think the AFL site has the team lists from Thursdays.

Yeah, I'll be putting them up for each round as they get released.

O'Reilly apparently got homesick and requested to be delisted.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,811 ✭✭✭Tigerandahalf

Didnt know that. He got games at the end of 2010 season. It seems to happen to good share of Irish boys, get a run in the team, lose their place and then find it v hard to get back into the team again.

Richmond lose two Irish recruits:
    Homesick Heslin returns to Lake County

By Daragh Ó Conchúir
    Saturday, February 18, 2012
    Westmeath football has been boosted by the return of John Heslin to Ireland after three months with AFL outfit Richmond.
    The Australian club last night cited homesickness for Heslin’s decision.

The St Loman’s product is the second Irishman to leave the Tigers in six months, after Down’s Jamie O’Reilly chose to renew his studies at Queens University in Belfast after a two-year stint with the club. While Heslin’s return has been reported as "indefinite" and he remains contracted to Richmond, the 19-year-old will not be prevented from playing with club and county.

Richmond’s football general manager Craig Cameron said: "It’s never easy for young players to relocate to a new country. John found that transition difficult and has experienced homesickness. We understand his decision to return home at this time."

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭Real FM

I think Setanta moved out to Greater Western Sydney.

• Advertisement

Yes Setanta is with GWS.

Here are 2 articles previewing the Irish AFL players for 2012. The author I think posted it either here or in the oz forum before but I can't find it so it's no harm to have it in here anyway as it's a good read.

Part 1
    http://www.bigfootynews.com/2012/03/irish-afl-2012-pt-1/

Part 2
    http://www.bigfootynews.com/2012/03/irish-afl-2012-pt-2/

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭Blue Shamrock

Anyone knows whats up with Setanta and Tommy Walsh? no sign of either of them yet so far not appearing on injury lists that I have seen, I'm sure Setanta at least would improve the GWS team.

Just seen that Setanta is out injured for another week with a "corked calf" (love the different words they use for injuries) .

Anyone knows whats up with Setanta and Tommy Walsh? no sign of either of them yet so far not appearing on injury lists that I have seen, I'm sure Setanta at least would improve the GWS team.

Just seen that Setanta is out injured for another week with a "corked calf" (love the different words they use for injuries) .

Yeah Setanta should be a walk into the GWS team when he gets fit. Walsh has been named on the extended Interchange this weekend. However I don't think he will make the cut with Parker, Seaby & Malceski there as well. I think he is just finding it hard to make the adjustment to the oval ball.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,810 ✭✭✭Mackman

http://www.afl.com.au/Video/tabid/76/contentid/442032/friday+news+wrap/Default.aspx

AFL Friday News Wrap featuring Marty Clarke on Collingwoods injury woes.

Looks like Walsh might get the nod this week on the back of Gary Rohan out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40,856 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Walsh to debut this week finally

Xavi6 wrote: »
    Walsh to debut this week finally

no surprise really. It was going to be hard for him to break into a team who had won 5 on the trot, but now they have lost their last 2, things would be shaken up a bit. hope he goes well. Reid has been an awful disappointment for Sydney this season (not to mention my fantasy team :mad:) so there is a spot there for him as a lead forward to compete for. And against a useless Melbourne team, its a good game for him to come into.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 405 ✭✭paddy978

Delighted for Tommy, what time is the game Irish time?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,280 ✭✭✭jackbhoy

paddy978 wrote: »
    Delighted for Tommy, what time is the game Irish time?

4.40pm here so 7.40am in Ireland.

7.40am on Saturday, I think.

edit: beaten to it, thats what I get for leaving my desk in the middle of typing a reply!

I must try to watch this online somewhere. If I can't get a link Ill listen to radio coverage.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,361 ✭✭✭✭DDC1990

Alarm set for the morning.

Hope Tommy does well.

Will have to try and find a stream for the morning.

Fingers crossed.

Kicked a goal in the first half, training exercise for the Swans pretty much.

Xavi6 wrote: »
    Kicked a goal in the first half, training exercise for the Swans pretty much.

How did he play? He got 84 SC pts so assume he saw a decent amount of the ball?
    Moving bloody house today so missed all the footy, about to watch Richmond beat Bombers though, Go Tiges!!!!

jackbhoy wrote: »
    How did he play? He got 84 SC pts so assume he saw a decent amount of the ball?
    Moving bloody house today so missed all the footy, about to watch Richmond beat Bombers though, Go Tiges!!!!
    Did well.

Kicked 2-1.

Made a good few contested marks.

Ran hard tackled well, and won 4-5 free kicks.

Got tired towards the end, but played everywhere in the forward line at some stage, so did a lot of running.

Satisfying debut.

• Advertisement

yeah it was a good performance for a debut, but he will never get an easier game. His first goal is probably one of the easiest goals anyone can get for their first AFL goal, ball rolls through to him running into the goal line with no one around. Just had to pick it up and kicked it nearly over the stand behind. He played better than Reid, who he could end up competing with for a spot at full forward. Fair play to him anyway, he was a while waiting for his chance, and he took it. A good game to start off with, its against other teams where he will be properly evaluated.

bruschi wrote: »
    yeah it was a good performance for a debut, but he will never get an easier game. His first goal is probably one of the easiest goals anyone can get for their first AFL goal, ball rolls through to him running into the goal line with no one around. Just had to pick it up and kicked it nearly over the stand behind. He played better than Reid, who he could end up competing with for a spot at full forward. Fair play to him anyway, he was a while waiting for his chance, and he took it. A good game to start off with, its against other teams where he will be properly evaluated.
    Yeah, I think Reid is faster, and better at getting marks in front, but he seems like a bit of a coward in the air (based on 1 full game and weekly highlights, im not claiming to be a swans expert).

Walsh contests better in the air, has a big body that can draw fouls, has better distribution (almost every pass he had foud a man).

Can't comment on Goalkicking as Reid was terrible (kicked 1) and Tommy's 2 were easy, and the behind was a tough kick. Its good for Tommy to be in a contest for his position, like his time at Kerry, the position battle drove him on to be a better player.

DDC1990 wrote: »
    Yeah, I think Reid is faster, and better at getting marks in front, but he seems like a bit of a coward in the air (based on 1 full game and weekly highlights, im not claiming to be a swans expert).

Walsh contests better in the air, has a big body that can draw fouls, has better distribution (almost every pass he had foud a man).

Can't comment on Goalkicking as Reid was terrible (kicked 1) and Tommy's 2 were easy, and the behind was a tough kick. Its good for Tommy to be in a contest for his position, like his time at Kerry, the position battle drove him on to be a better player.

I'd only been keeping an eye on Reid as I had him in my fantasy team, a lot was expected of him this year and he has not produced the goods at all on the promise shown. He has all the tools to be a key player, but is not producing the goods.

One possession, subbed after three quarters and -3 in Dream Team.

Not a good night for Walsh.

Caolan Mooney set to play for Collingwood this weekend against Freo. Fair play to the lad for making such an impression in such a short time.

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭seipeal1

By all accounts, the lad has been playing great in the vfl. I think he might be something special. The other young Lad from Kildare still trying to make an impression in the reserves.

bruschi wrote: »
    Caolan Mooney set to play for Collingwood this weekend against Freo. Fair play to the lad for making such an impression in such a short time.

yeah he got 5 goals in the VFL there last week. Teams just released there now, and Marty Clarke is out of the Collingwood side. Pity both couldnt be on the team together for Mooneys debut.

• Registered Users Posts: 603 ✭✭✭shanemkelly

Great to see Mooney getting a go.
    Everyone seems to be talking about his speed - saying he'll be the fastest player in the AFL!
    Hope he has a great debut (though not 'too great' - Go Freo!! :D)...

Another great game for Hanley today, he's quietly becoming a top player for Lions and if he keeps improving he could be a star in next couple of years.

• Advertisement

watched Mooneys debut. did well in fairness to him, only got about ten minutes or so, but one a free kick for holding the ball with his first action, and then set up 2 goals, first one he ran through the defence, took a shot but was short and Dawes finished it off. Second was a nice quick handpass to Thomas who tapped it home. Crowd warmed to him quickly and the comms were all over him too. Good to see him do well anyway, so lets hope he can keep up the form.

Advertisement