Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mary O'Rourke Watch

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,163 ✭✭✭✭Liam Byrne

'Toed ' Liam.. pse forgive me, but tow is to pull... Toe the line = put your foot on the line.Get behind the line.

Sorry but I see this one so often , I have to act.

Nothing pers. Liam, a helpful hand yes?:P

"pse", FlutterinBantam ? What does that mean ? ;)

You could also argue that O'Rourke "towed" the party line in behind her, and is trying to drag all of us into the delusion. :D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,184 ✭✭✭✭Lapin

She has just spent the last 5 mins on Newstalk towing (toeing:confused:) Ivor the Engine out to sea.

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭Mabel

... and again on News at One!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Newstalk breakfast talking about Ivor Callely and how you can't legally impeach a senator.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,084 ✭✭✭Barname

mike65 wrote: »
    Newstalk breakfast talking about Ivor Callely and how you can't legally impeach a senator.

The 'Law' cant do anything in Ireland

The AG advises in a manner that costs the taxpayer on every occasion

Oh, dont steal sausages or bread, thats a crime and you will be jailed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,302 ✭✭✭Antenna

Mary O'Rourke is on 'Cork Today' show on C1O3 right now - speaking about Callely controversy.

This interview would be repeated sometime between 11PM and 1AM tonight on C1O3

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Is Mary on holiday?

• Registered Users Posts: 736 ✭✭✭Big Tone

Is Mary on holiday?

No. She was on Newstalk breakfast around 8.20 this morning talking about Brian Cowen (she's the only person in the country with a good word for him!!) and Chinese businessmen who wanted to employ only chinese construction workers to build on a site in Mary's constituency but she objected on the grounds that they had to employ Irish people for the construction...the planning was rejected..good on ya Mary!

• Registered Users Posts: 740 ✭✭✭garbanzo

She was on Damian Kiberd's show on Newstalk between 12 and 1:00pm today. She's an entertaining auld hen in fairness, got into a short spat with DK and John Drennan about her age and the latest Biffo-Smoking-in-Croker- Scandal/Shocker.

She talked fairly straight about Ivor-gate; that she wished he would just go away and resign. Also re the BSiCS/S "non-story". Terrible isn't it that we are pleasently surprised when a politician talks sense on an issue.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 920 ✭✭✭Lenny Lovett

garbanzo wrote: »
    She was on Damian Kiberd's show on Newstalk between 12 and 1:00pm today. She's an entertaining auld hen in fairness, got into a short spat with DK and John Drennan about her age and the latest Biffo-Smoking-in-Croker- Scandal/Shocker.

She talked fairly straight about Ivor-gate; that she wished he would just go away and resign. Also re the BSiCS/S "non-story". Terrible isn't it that we are pleasently surprised when a politician talks sense on an issue.
    She's great value as a radio guest. She'll offer a comment on most topics and, surprisingly for a poltician, she tends not to talk bullsh1t. She calls a spade a spade and she can take the slagging.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 23,718 ✭✭✭✭JonathanAnon

Cant stand her... Any time they phone her, she's irritable, aloof and rude... She seems to think she's still a school teacher and can talk over everybody. She's part of a political dynasty that has helped put the country where it is, and the sooner that her and her FF clan are kicked out the better.

And she's only become brave enough to speak against the party line NOW (on occasion), simply because she knows she will not be running for election next time.. She was never this brave when honesty was actually needed, or when it would have been detrimental to her own personal wealth/career. She should just join Callely, and just go away.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 920 ✭✭✭Lenny Lovett

Is Mary on holiday?
    No. She's giving it welly on the Marian Finucane/Charlie Bird show now.

My god my blood was boiling this morning.. Conor Faughnan, who is actually well versed on other issues as well as the roads, was making a point about banks and it went similar to the following...

CF: "The problem is we are paying out 52 or 53 Billion a year to keep the country running"... O'Rourke interrupts to correct him
    MOR: "52 Billion"
    CF: "And we are only taking in about 32 or 33 Billion"
    MOR: "32 Billion"... Said almost with pride

I mean did she want some sort of Kudos that a member of her dynasty actually knew the proper figures... And she said it forthrightly and with gusto... as if they were something to be proud of..... not ashamed, which her and her party should be...

I cant wait for the next election when she gets dumped out, but as I've said here before, I reckon the only reason she has been so maverick in her views of late is because she knows she wont be standing again. And I wont be disappointed to see her go.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 792 ✭✭✭juuge

I cant wait for the next election when she gets dumped out, but as I've said here before, I reckon the only reason she has been so maverick in her views of late is because she knows she wont be standing again. And I wont be disappointed to see her go.
    I couldn't agree with you more!
    It amazes me that no interviewer on any of the numerous radio interviews she gives ever asks her 'hard questions'. It's like as though they see her as some sort of 'political auntie' . I believe her to be devious, manipulative and a political animal that is entrenched in Fianna Fáil having admitted publically that the FF party comes before the country. She continues to support a political party whose leader stole money from her brother's medical fund. I too look forward to the day she quits politics for good!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,302 ✭✭✭Antenna

Mary O'Rourke, both real and otherwise!, appeared on an outside broadcast of Joe Duffy's Liveline from Athlone on RTE R1 last Friday

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,084 ✭✭✭Barname

Mary has always been very close to RTE....

RTE_MOR_compr.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,598 ✭✭✭Saint_Mel

She calls a spade a spade...

Thats just her racist side coming out again! Boom Boom!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭Royal Seahawk

She's on Midday now on Tv3, discussing last night's Guns n Roses gig.
    Jesus wept.

She's on Midday now on Tv3, discussing last night's Guns n Roses gig.Jesus wept.

Was she at it?

Was she at it?

No, but sure when did that ever stop her voicing her opinion?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭Wertz

Was she at it?

If you asked Mammy to come to a G'n'R gig, she'd think Willie O'Dea was having a garden party...

Wertz wrote: »
    If you asked Mammy to come to a G'n'R gig, she'd think Willie O'Dea was having a garden party...

Ah now, in fairness she knew her stuff. She said she would have loved to go but couldn't out of principle due to the mistreatment of now ex band members by Axl Rose during the ninties.
    She reckons she could never understand that video for Estranged and why Axl insisted on pushing Guns N Roses in that new age artistic direction when anyone with half a brian would have known that they were better as a no nonsense rock outfit.
    She was also saying that while she'll always respect current bassist Tommy Stinson no-one will ever compare to Duff McKagan and the difference between the styles of the bassists can be heard clearly on this tour's version of 'Pretty Tied Up', which she admitted was her favourite GnR track.
    Fascinating really....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,725 ✭✭✭charlemont

efb wrote: »
    I thought Mammy was great on the Sunday Supplement on Today FM last Sunday. Pulling no punches when it came to Child Abuse.

and yet her party helped pedophiles for decades....

charlemont wrote: »
    and yet her party helped pedophiles for decades....

And Michael Woods, who ensured that the taxpayer would pay for their abuse.. She really has a unique blind spot when it comes to HER party's policies and HER party's culpability when it comes to such things...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,807 ✭✭✭Poly

Radio 1, insights into the Lenihan collective

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

Yeah was looking for this thread to post it.

• Registered Users Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

Haven't read this whole thread but is there a similar Mattie McGrath watch? Or is he solely confined to Newstalk? :)

Havent heard Mattie on RTE that much.. I've seen him on with Vincent Browne a few times all the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

I like Mattie McGrath. Everytime I hear him I think of the money I've saved not having to go to the next D'Unblievables or Pat Shortt gig. :)

It's hard to pick just one quote but I loved the "coursing is great to combat the obesity" line. :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,185 ✭✭✭Rubik.

Its down to altruism apparently, all her appearance fees go to charity.

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/ireland/2009/1121/1224259237057.html.

Advertisement