Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

CHARTER - Please Read Before Posting

• 02-03-2011 11:54am
    Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭

OldGoat wrote:
    Oulwans 'n' oulfellas
    Charter

Rule Number One: Don’t be a dick.

This forum is not age specific. It does however intend to look at issues raised from the perspective of the older person. While we welcome youth to join in our conversations and debates we would like to point out that we elderly are always going to be right.
    Please read this charter and respect it.

Ageism:
    Ageist jokes can be amusing but we are old enough to have heard most of them already, and they are the prerogative of the aged. Anyone else please don't bother.
    Remember that ageism works both ways. For us to constantly put down the youth of today simply for being younger also becomes tiresome.

Respect:
    Respect for other users of the site is paramount. This is generally referred to throughout all the forums as "Attack the post and not the poster"

Posting:
    Don't just post a link. Elaborate on the link, on why you posted it and include your opinion.
    If a topic is more suitable in a different forum then post it there unless there is a reason that it is only suited to our forum. For example: Ask about driving tests - Motors forum. Ask about driving tests being made mandatory for the 80's plus - post here.
    If a topic starts out on a serious note then let’s keep it like that.
    Use of text speak is not welcome and you will be asked to refrain or risk having your posts deleted.
    Stay on topic. This means that if you have a wondrously funny response to a previous poster then be sure that you also add to the discussion rather then just post the funny.
    A social chat type thread (will exist) for your social chit chat. Please use that rather then hijack someone else’s thread.

Report posts:
    If you have a problem with someone’s post then bring it to the attention of the moderators. Use the 'Flag' Button. at the bottom of any post. Clicking that, then the 'Report' option, this brings up a dialog box where you can tell the mod why you think a post is inappropriate and the moderator will deal with the situation in what they deem to be an suitable manner.
    The moderator’s decision can take a little time, we don't live on the internet - please be patient.
    Do not be a 'backseat moderator'. Use the flag button instead.

Medical Advice:
    Advice cannot be sought or given. Go and see your G.P. Do not take the word of some random poster on the internet. Please report any threads of this nature to the moderators.
    Health issues can be discussed and threads of this nature will be welcome - you just have to remember that no medical advice on diagnosis’s or prescription of any nature will be allowed.

Spam:
    The terms and conditions you agreed to when you signed up for an account here very clearly prohibit spamming and advertising. Spamming is a sitewide bannable offence.
    The 'Vote for me' on Facebook type threads are not allowed.
    The 'I'm doing research survey...' type threads are not allowed. They should be posted in the Media and Research forum.

Moderators:
    Dispute Resolution Forum. If you have an issue with a moderator act or decision then please follow the dispute resolution process.
    Arguing with a moderator decision or act in thread is not allowed as it derails the thread. There is no second chance on this; you will be banned from the forum. Follow the Dispute resolution process. Remember that 99% of things can be worked out amicably with a polite PM to the moderators.

Posting Unregistered*:
    If you have a problem you're embarrassed about, then feel free to use the "Guest" option to post. You can do this by logging out and then posting. Abuse of this will not be tolerated.

Anyone can post anonymously by logging out (if registered) and posting a reply. If you are not registered you may still post, your nickname would be seen as "Unregistered".

You change the name of "Unregistered" to something else, please consider doing this for clarity's sake so that your posts can be identified and we do not have several people using the function at the same time all listed as "Unregistered" with in the one thread.

Also, your name and IP address will not be shown to the general public. However, this cannot be abused, please. The owners/Administrators of boards.ie do have the powers to view any post's IP address but only as a last resort.

Anonymity is sacred but trouble making is most definitely not.

If you are a regular user posting as unregistered you cannot edit your unregistered post. And the Mods cannot guarantee to edit your post the next morning if you have any regrets about what you posted. As we cannot guarantee that you are the original poster.
    *Shamelessly stolen from the Personal Issues forum charter Added 8th Oct. 2012

Moderators on this forum are:
    Beasty and looksee

Category moderators on this forum are:
    Dades
    nesf
    Scofflaw

Some links:
    Dispute Resolution Forum
    Help Desk
    Newbies and FAQ
    FAQ

Any discussion of either Blue Nun or Bingo will get you banned from this forum.
    Post edited by looksee on

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 centrifuge

Beruthiel wrote: »
    Any discussion of either Blue Nun or Bingo will get you banned from this forum.

Could I ask the Administrators why discussion of these two topics is not permitted?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,631 ✭✭✭✭OldGoat

centrifuge wrote: »
    Could I ask the Administrators why discussion of these two topics is not permitted?
    Cos you don't want to get on the bad side of a certain wine loving Moderator who has a pathalogical hatred for the ... errrr... "Sister in a navy habit".

Bingo is just icky - it's what the youngsters imagine us doing when WE know that we have lives much more exciting then that.

I believe that sums up why these two topics are not allowed. Best just to take it as read when the above topics are unfit for discussion. Someone did mention the wine once but we think he just might have gotten away with a short term ban.

Lets just accept that it's the natural order of the forum.

I'm older than Minecraft goats.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,939 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Er... ahem! Mods for this forum are?... I know I don't do much but its such a well behaved forum Old Goat could mod it sitting on his hands. Still and all...

• Registered Users Posts: 12,631 ✭✭✭✭OldGoat

Sincere and abject appologies looksee. I'll fix that right up for you. :o

I'm older than Minecraft goats.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,939 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Ten years later and it has not been 'fixed'! This rule has been rescinded. But they are pretty boring topics generally so can be safely ignored.

• Advertisement
Advertisement