Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Casefile

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 487 ✭✭Jim Root

DukeCaboom wrote: »
    They walk among us just finished a 4 part on Michael Barrymore. Mental mental stuff.

Really enjoyed that 4 parter.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 13,981 Mod ✭✭✭✭pc7

Jim Root wrote: »
    Really enjoyed that 4 parter.

Me too, very well done but awfully sad

• Registered Users Posts: 13,303 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

There is a 4-part documentary called 'Murder in the Outback' just after starting now on Channel 4 about Peter Falconio (Case 44 on Casefile)... looks like it could be good.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,028 ✭✭✭DukeCaboom

There is a 4-part documentary called 'Murder in the Outback' just after starting now on Channel 4 about Peter Falconio (Case 44 on Casefile)... looks like it could be good.

One of the very few Casefile cases that just doesn't stack up for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,245 ✭✭✭PropJoe10

This entire case is utterly horrendous. Barrymore knows too well who raped that guy to death. Strong possibility he is one of the perpatrators too

3 parts into that series now. Jesus it is rough stuff. Excellently presented though. That's a really good podcast.

• Advertisement

Latest one - moral of the story - don't hire a hooker and start a relationship from there -> certainly not a hooker with a heart of gold lol. what an evil manipulative greedy bitch.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,327 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

glasso wrote: »
    Latest one - moral of the story - don't hire a hooker and start a relationship from there -> certainly not a hooker with a heart of gold lol. what an evil manipulative greedy bitch.

I'm almost certain that he covered that one before? I've definitely heard that police interview audio before. Maybe it was another podcast entirely, but the story seemed familiar.

Crazy fcking tale all the same!

Arghus wrote: »
    I'm almost certain that he covered that one before? I've definitely heard that police interview audio before. Maybe it was another podcast entirely, but the story seemed familiar.

Crazy fcking tale all the same!

Nah it must've been another podcast. Mad story alright! I'd never heard of it before.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 13,981 Mod ✭✭✭✭pc7

I remember a similar one where they showed her photos of the husband dead (but it was a set up) could be that one you’re thinking of?

he seemed like a bit of naive simpleton though didn't he?

• Advertisement

he seemed like a bit of naive simpleton though didn't he?

I'd say that she could suck a golfball through 30 metres of hose tho.

• Registered Users Posts: 548 ✭✭✭Evil_g

PropJoe10 wrote: »
    3 parts into that series now. Jesus it is rough stuff. Excellently presented though. That's a really good podcast.

Yeah, it seems like a great podcast.

It's annoying that they don't have any details of the cases in the episode titles though.

Any other good multiparters to get started with it? I've already found the Kray twins. (sorry for going off topic)

• Registered Users Posts: 17,382 ✭✭✭✭MEGA BRO WOLF 5000

The latest one, Michael Dippolito was brilliant. Superbly told, I was working it out as I went along. Banging return to form.

Started listening to “court junkie” afterwards and it’s so convoluted and confusing, throwing 10+ names of people at you in 5 minutes, a disaster compared to casefile.

That three parter was grim. I’m not a fan when they tell you exactly who did what right from the start, it’s kind of boring, I much preferred the latest episode where it’s almost a story youre listening to.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,322 ✭✭✭McGrath5

The latest case this week
    , I was heartbroken for the mother when the police got a DNA match only to discover it was the boyfriend’s who had nothing to do with the murder.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,382 ✭✭✭✭MEGA BRO WOLF 5000

McGrath5 wrote: »
    The latest case this week
    , I was heartbroken for the mother when the police got a DNA match only to discover it was the boyfriend’s who had nothing to do with the murder.

Ugh, as a story though it’s kinda meh. Like you invest one hour into a pod that could have been told in two minutes. The format of the previous one with the dippolitos was amazing and now we’re gone back to this.

• Registered Users Posts: 562 ✭✭✭el_gaucho

Remember Case 44? It was about Peter Falconio and his girlfriend Joanne Lees. There is a four-part documentary series about the case called Murder in the Outback. It’s on the All4 app.

Ugh, as a story though it’s kinda meh. Like you invest one hour into a pod that could have been told in two minutes. The format of the previous one with the dippolitos was amazing and now we’re gone back to this.

It's a real-life case. I think it was well worthwhile doing,
    especially seeing as the case has never been solved
    . If it brings some publicity to a sad situation then I'm glad to have invested an hour in it.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,093 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

I'll be gone in the dark, new documentary covering the East Area Rapist that was covered in case file some time back.

It's on HBO from June 28th, Sky from August 30th.

https://www.theguardian.com/tv-and-radio/2020/jun/22/ill-be-gone-in-the-dark-documentary-hbo-sky

• Registered Users Posts: 14,222 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

I have a lot of episodes backed up since episode 137. I'm not going to listen to then all, but were any great ones? Muswell hill and beryl and Geraldine Evans are multi part episodes, i assume they're good. Anything else?

• Registered Users Posts: 562 ✭✭✭el_gaucho

Cienciano wrote: »
    I have a lot of episodes backed up since episode 137. I'm not going to listen to then all, but were any great ones? Muswell hill and beryl and Geraldine Evans are multi part episodes, i assume they're good. Anything else?

As someone commented upthread, 143 - Leigh Leigh was rough, even by Casefile standards. I didn’t like the Beryl and Geraldine one. 147 was good. A kind of poor man’s Yorkshire Ripper. 146 was interesting.

• Advertisement

I thought muswell hill was back to the Glory days for casefile, really well done, I wasn't aware of the story, think I was a bit too young

New case based in Japan (I think) was very good. Was listening to it while half asleep this morning, a real mystery this one. I do find the Patreon good value for money for ad free shows. They flow so much better.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,998 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

New case based in Japan (I think) was very good. Was listening to it while half asleep this morning, a real mystery this one. I do find the Patreon good value for money for ad free shows. They flow so much better.

I disagree

I thought it was very poor
    All it was was an endless stream of detailing the evidence and before you knew it it was almost over and it was clear that it was not going to be solved

Very like a one that was on only a few weeks ago

I disagree

I thought it was very poor
    All it was was an endless stream of detailing the evidence and before you knew it it was almost over and it was clear that it was not going to be solved

Very like a one that was on only a few weeks ago

Those were the facts of the case, though. What do you expect from that sort of episode, a fake ending to wrap things up? Or maybe you just prefer episodes that were solved cases rather than open ended ones?

Quite a strange post to be honest.

Two weeks running I didn’t finish listening, neither case caught my interest

pc7 wrote: »
    Two weeks running I didn’t finish listening, neither case caught my interest

Me neither!
    Not to go on about it but they walk among us done Raul Moate two parter. No comparison at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,417 ✭✭✭Diemos

I'm not sure if it has been posted here already but the following spreadsheet keeps a list of episodes here.

You could just listen to the 4.0+ reviews if you wanted to be choosy.

The main ones I'd disagree with are : (47) Yara Gambirasio and (18) North Hollywood shootout

I really enjoyed both of those episodes.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,417 ✭✭✭Diemos

el_gaucho wrote: »
    Remember Case 44? It was about Peter Falconio and his girlfriend Joanne Lees. There is a four-part documentary series about the case called Murder in the Outback. It’s on the All4 app.

I watched the series and it looked like a witch hunt that was paid for by Bradley Murdoch's lawyers.
    It left out a LOT of the circumstantial evidence about him and tried to paint Joanne Lees in a bad light.
    Barely mentioned what Murdoch had done to the mother and daughter , spent more time talking about Joanne's description of the killer dog.

The way the media treats women who are stoic or hold a strong public face who've been caught up in a serious crime is just brutal. Joanne Lees, Amanda Knox, Kate McCann, Lindy Chamberlain have all been dragged through the coals (unfairly, I think) because they don't act 'properly'.

So some priests don't just abuse altar boys, sometimes they shoot them too.

Then tops himself to avoid the music.

Disgrace that that guy was let be in such a position allowing access to young boys when it was obvious AND FLAGGED.

Another cover up job by the venerable church.

• Advertisement

So some priests don't just abuse altar boys, sometimes they shoot them too.

Then tops himself to avoid the music.

Disgrace that that guy was let be in such a position allowing access to young boys when it was obvious AND FLAGGED.

Another cover up job by the venerable church.

And its not like the case is from 50 years ago..

Advertisement