Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Door of doom - help pls

• 10-07-2020 7:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭

Ordered sliding door for house renovation a number of weeks back. Was very clear with builder what we wanted. Agreed photos etc.

Door arrived today.

It is the right door but wrong handle.

We really hate the handle. Meant to be lift and slide but it has keys and it is shiny chrome which will show fingerprints etc.

Builder is v apologetic. It was his mistake (and he called us to tell us about it, rather than us noticing). Happy to change it. HOWEVER he says that with builders holidays it could be at least another 6 weeks before we can get another with the right handle. This would mean us being homeless (he doesn't want tò fit kitchen etc without a door in place) when we get booted out of rental property and is problematic for a host of other reasons. We've nowhere to go when tenancy ends (we are moving from rented house to this new house with 2 small kids).

He says we cannot change the handle without changing the door.

He is offering us money off elsewhere if we can live with the handle. E.g. doing the skimming for free (our budget is v tight so this is somewhat appealing).

Two questions: 1. Shall I believe the builder when he says those are the timeframes (it's a big aluminium slider) 2. Is there really no way of changing/improving the handle?

Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 269 ✭✭Feets

That is annoying. We had a similar situation with something once and had to pay an extra months rent and pay twice for movers. Its **** when it happens. Not everything can go perfect in a build....but maybe stick with it cos with sliding glass doors there will be fingerprints on the glass anyway. So maybe a handle isnt all that bad? Drive a real hard bargain tho. Get the builder maybe to paint garden walls or something or a big deep clean once finished.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,256 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

Fair enough it might not be possible to change handle on that door to your chosen one but it is surely possible to change the colour to something that might suit you.

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭Owlet

mickdw wrote: »
    Fair enough it might not be possible to change handle on that door to your chosen one but it is surely possible to change the colour to something that might suit you.

Thanks it's more the style than the colour. We wanted a lift and slide design, this has lock and key and funny little lever and handle. But you're right about the colour... could surely be changed to brushed chrome. Might ask about that and drive a hard bargain as per previous poster. Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,256 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

Sounds like the builder went for the bog standard setup for probably a substantial saving and is confident he can make you live with it.
    As i said, id probably take it with a colour change to something less shiny but id want a clear breakdown on costs of what was received versus that paid for.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,008 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Get him to block off the opening and fit the kitchen.

Easy job for a builder.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 907 ✭✭✭rampantbunny

I'm no expert but I believe lift and slide doors usually perform better from an airtightness perspective. If you are keeping an eye on this side of things I'd be asking builder for the performance details of the door installed and compare against what was originally planned.
    It sounds like the door doesn't just look different re. handles, but potentially seals differently also i.e. lift and slide = more expensive unit.
    As per earlier post, I think the builder is saving money here.

Advertisement