Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Query on concealed DC cabling for LED lighting

Options
  • 08-07-2020 12:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭

Hi,

I have an LED suspended on a ceiling mount that takes power from a 5.5mm DC24V/36W AC/DC adapter. Think videoconferencing/photography LED light on boom arm.

The permanent AC power socket I will power this from is about 4/5m from light, and I intend to power from the adapter, that will be placed at the socket, via a 5.5mm DC extension cable running from the adaptor up the wall, and across the ceiling.

This can be surface mounted obviously, but for aesthetics, I would like to conceal the cabling behind the ceiling (normal plasterboard suspended from joists) and then behind plasterboard wall.

I appreciate that concealing extension cables designed for non-concealed use is a no-no. I want to do a proper job of it.

My thought is to run a dedicated cable of appropriate rating terminating in two 5.5mm jack sockets either end. An example of the kind of terminating plate I am looking at is https://bit.ly/2DfIhlq . I would place one jack socket on the ceiling beside the light (running a short 5.5mm cable from it to the suspended light) and plug the power adapter output at the other end into the other jack socket.

Looking for advice/suggestions on cable choice, jack socket choice etc.

Perhaps there is a standard parts set out there for this kind of application?

cheers,
    Stephen.

Advertisement