Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Glastonbury 2020

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 14,465 Mod ✭✭✭✭johnnyskeleton

robinph wrote: »
    Unless they have masses of people ask for their deposit back I'd expect the resale to just be in April when they have the balance paid. There would be more than a normal April resale, but not by much.

So then do they effectively want to take deposits now for Glastonbury 2021? So that it will be fully sold out now for next year?

I can see that resulting in April 2021's resale being quite large as people's circumstances will no doubt change over the next 16 months, even excluding any corona changes

• Registered Users Posts: 5,968 ✭✭✭TheIrishGrover

So then do they effectively want to take deposits now for Glastonbury 2021? So that it will be fully sold out now for next year?

I can see that resulting in April 2021's resale being quite large as people's circumstances will no doubt change over the next 16 months, even excluding any corona changes

Yeah, personally (I have no "Inside info") I'd say that the resale will probably be about double. For pretty much the exact same reason you say: Either that don't know what their circumstances will be next year. Or they do. Weddings etc. I know somebody who has a ticket who has said that they cannot go 'cos they were planning their wedding then. They intentially scheduled their wedding for next year (Specific date is personally important to them). They specificially scheduled it for next year so they wouldn't miss the 50th. They are gutted.

As are we all. But it had to be cancelled. They did the right thing the right way for the right reasons.

Look on the bright side. We know we'll have tickets. Your "F5" button is safe next year. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,098 ✭✭✭Poorside

I would be so happy to be stuck in a traffic jam in a camper van right now.

This sucks balls.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,063 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

Got my Glastonbury 2020 tshirt through the post yesterday and today's after school project once I'd collected the kid was to paint a box as a Cider Bus and then stuck a hunch of photos of my mates over the years at Glastonbury all over it. I'll now be spending the weekend tuned into the Glastonbury channel on BBC iplayer and drinking cider whilst thinking of happy times... And praying to Lord Eavis of Pilton that I be granted a ticket for 2021,or failing that get a volunteer gig somehow.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,142 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

Poorside wrote: »

This sucks balls.

I agree, its bloody depressing. Im not sure if Ill even bother watching any of it, maybe some of the south east corner stuff.

• Advertisement

MadYaker wrote: »
    I agree, its bloody depressing. Im not sure if Ill even bother watching any of it, maybe some of the south east corner stuff.

I'll probably watch some of it, haven't looked at any lineup yet so haven't a clue really.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,968 ✭✭✭TheIrishGrover

We should be there....
    517687.jpg

517688.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 43,774 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Well, this is turning out to be a very depressing week! :(

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭Meself

This sucks balls.

Too true. Was just thinking this yesterdsy. Depressing stuff. Decided to take tomorrow off work as a treat...weather decides to turn. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭TenPicnics

Anyone else catch Julien Temple's 2006 film/documentary last night on BBC4? I thought it was excellent, sort of in the style of the wonderful Woodstock from 1970. The footage of Richie Havens (Glasto 1987?) looking and sounding exactly as he did in 1969 was really something special. The interactions between Michael Eavis and the original "travellers", exiled from Stonehenge, was fascinating. Loved it.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,063 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

TenPicnics wrote: »
    Anyone else catch Julien Temple's 2006 film/documentary last night on BBC4? I thought it was excellent, sort of in the style of the wonderful Woodstock from 1970. The footage of Richie Havens (Glasto 1987?) looking and sounding exactly as he did in 1969 was really something special. The interactions between Michael Eavis and the original "travellers", exiled from Stonehenge, was fascinating. Loved it.
    I thought it was that film I found on the iplayer channel last night, but turned out to be another film by Julian Temple done more recently and just about the South East Corner stuff and how that developed.

Hopefully the original film will be on iplayer for me to see this evening. Loved it and saw it in a tiny cinema in Bristol when it first came out.

Really hoping they have the full Faithless set on iplayer. Greatest Glastonbury set eva!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,315 ✭✭✭Seathrun66

robinph wrote: »
    Really hoping they have the full Faithless set on iplayer. Greatest Glastonbury set eva!!!

Looked great on TV, but I don't think we're ever going to have agreement on the best of all. My faves are The Cure '86, Fela Kuti '89, REM '99, Radiohead '03, Bobby Womack '13 and dozens more.

Hard to watch it on TV this weekend, too painful. BBC6 ain't making it any easier either.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 14,872 Mod ✭✭✭✭Furious-Red

Silly question but we just changed over from Sky to Virgin but can you still access the red button on BBC with Virgin? Just working my way through the 2019 highlights from last night

• Registered Users Posts: 12,453 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

Silly question but we just changed over from Sky to Virgin

tenor.gif

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 14,872 Mod ✭✭✭✭Furious-Red

The Nal wrote: »
    tenor.gif

We've had pretty much no signal for the majority of Lockdown and they cant do anything as the trees in our estate are too high

• Registered Users Posts: 12,453 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

We've had pretty much no signal for the majority of Lockdown and they cant do anything as the trees in our estate are too high

Thats a bummer.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,264 ✭✭✭MayoForSam

David Bowie's legendary set from 2000 just started on BBC2. Never been on before in its entirety.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

and he didn't changed much in the intervening years...

ac24d7c844aaf781a441c6da1df4b0e6.jpg

Does anyone know, the guitarist in the black jumper, did he play with Nick Cave as well?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,670 ✭✭✭4Ad

Shame on me but not the biggest Bowie fan but this is brilliant...hit after hit....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,670 ✭✭✭4Ad

TenPicnics wrote: »

Saw it, it was brilliant viewing..the new age travellers were rough, to say the least.

Joe Strummer came across as a knob..

Interviewed some young fella from Devon (I think) chewing the jaws off himself..

• Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

Does anyone know, the guitarist in the black jumper, did he play with Nick Cave as well?

the guy with Bowie? Earl Slick i think his name is

When will the Eavises have to decide on next year's festival? Given the logistics I'd guess February at the very latest and I can't see any circumstances in which the go-ahead would be given then. I'm normally optimistic about these things but I think it's 2022 at the earliest.

Other festivals could happen in mid to late Summer though, scale and buildings will allow it. Or am I being naive?

Agreed, whilst things may be OK in June for it to go ahead I can't see them being able to make that call as early as the likes of February as there will still be too many unknowns and nobody will agree to anything until someone else has done something similar but a bit smaller first.

Of course if there are weekly crowds of 80,000 turning up to watch Man Pool City United FC and get drunk and rowdy up the pub afterwards by February then everything is back on. Not going to happen in those number though.

So Macca reckons it's not happening, or certainly not in June. Hard not to agree with him. The Eavises seem to be reluctant to hold it in late Summer and have stated that they won't go bankrupt if it's called off in good time. Seems inevitable I believe that we're looking at 2022 at best.

Seems most likely. There's no way I'll be vaccinated by June anyway as I'll be the one of the last to get it so I doubt id be able to enter the UK in June regardless.

Glasto will be full of old people who got the vaccine first

I just bought a ticket for Fuinneamh Festival in Galway. Not until the middle of September, Micheal Martin reckons the vaccine will be available to everyone by August.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 14,465 Mod ✭✭✭✭johnnyskeleton

Glasto will be full of old people who got the vaccine first

Great!

Advertisement