Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Carlow Registry Office

• 22-05-2020 4:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 928 ✭✭✭

Has anyone attended a wedding or civil ceremony in Carlow Registry office? What is it like? Any pictures?
    I've searched online but none to be found.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,420 ✭✭✭splinter65

Shelli2 wrote: »
    Has anyone attended a wedding or civil ceremony in Carlow Registry office? What is it like? Any pictures?
    I've searched online but none to be found.

The actual office you deal with to arrange an appointment is in the old psychiatric hospital St Dympnas. But I don’t know if that’s where you go to meet the marriage registrar on the day. Sorry that’s all I know.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,818 ✭✭✭jlm29

From what I hear, they’re all a bit bleak tbh. Maybe Dublin is different because they’d have higher numbers, but most of them are rooms in or near to health centres/county clinics etc. But I can’t speak specifically for carlow, just the couple I have been in

jlm29 wrote: »
    From what I hear, they’re all a bit bleak tbh. Maybe Dublin is different because they’d have higher numbers, but most of them are rooms in or near to health centres/county clinics etc. But I can’t speak specifically for carlow, just the couple I have been in

It’s not that they’re bleak it’s that it’s an office, a workplace, a place of business. Your marriage is just an official transaction taking place in a public service office. Your wedding is an entirely different occasion, and it’s difficult to incorporate the two.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,818 ✭✭✭jlm29

splinter65 wrote: »
    It’s not that they’re bleak it’s that it’s an office, a workplace, a place of business. Your marriage is just an official transaction taking place in a public service office. Your wedding is an entirely different occasion, and it’s difficult to incorporate the two.

The ceremony room is separate to the office, so yes, while it might technically be someone’s work place, it’s not their office. I assume that the OP was asking what the room where their wedding ceremony will happen in looks like. While I can’t answer specifically about the Carlow office, the two I have personal experience of have, in fact, been a bit bleak. I got married in one, I’m not complaining, I’m just as married as the person who got married in a 5 star hotel, or a cathedral. But the room was a bit dismal and dreary. That’s all.

jlm29 wrote: »
    The ceremony room is separate to the office, so yes, while it might technically be someone’s work place, it’s not their office. I assume that the OP was asking what the room where their wedding ceremony will happen in looks like. While I can’t answer specifically about the Carlow office, the two I have personal experience of have, in fact, been a bit bleak. I got married in one, I’m not complaining, I’m just as married as the person who got married in a 5 star hotel, or a cathedral. But the room was a bit dismal and dreary. That’s all.

I get you of course. Yes these places are drab. In Ireland when you attend your civil wedding you are doing so in a building in which other people are also attending to register a death, or a birth or apply for an EHIC. That’s why it’s important to be realistic when planning the big day so as not to be disappointed.

• Advertisement
Advertisement