Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Susi Grant enq

Options
  • 28-01-2020 7:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,880 ✭✭✭

Just wondered I’m divorced and my son lives slightly more with me during the year than his mother and I get the SPCC single child carer allowance...

he hopes to go to college after a PLC he is on at the moment ...he has applied for CAO recently ( should he apply susi now? Presumably wait till he is offered course )

if he was to live with his mother instead of me
    He would probably get susi grant as she earns less than me ...

can she ... allow / agree to let me Continue to get spcc allowance ? She wants to do that ... as I contribute more to the daily to our child’s expenses
    Thks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,420 ✭✭✭splinter65

Just wondered I’m divorced and my son lives slightly more with me during the year than his mother and I get the SPCC single child carer allowance...

he hopes to go to college after a PLC he is on at the moment ...he has applied for CAO recently ( should he apply susi now? Presumably wait till he is offered course )

if he was to live with his mother instead of me
    He would probably get susi grant as she earns less than me ...

can she ... allow / agree to let me Continue to get spcc allowance ? She wants to do that ... as I contribute more to the daily to our child’s expenses
    Thks

It doesn’t matter who your son lives with he will have to declare both your incomes to SUSI. If you have the boy more then she then the SPCC is yours.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,880 ✭✭✭2012paddy2012

splinter65 wrote: »
    It doesn’t matter who your son lives with he will have to declare both your incomes to SUSI. If you have the boy more then she then the SPCC is yours.

I was of the view that the susi grant was based on the parent that the child lives with. Fairly definite on that actually. Have you a link to that regulation / requirement?

• Registered Users Posts: 985 ✭✭✭Mjolnir

I was of the view that the susi grant was based on the parent that the child lives with. Fairly definite on that actually. Have you a link to that regulation / requirement?

Have to declare both parents income.
    Done it for 19/20, if both parents are known to and involved with the child and contributing, regardless of being separated or together both have to be declared.

Mjolnir wrote: »
    Have to declare both parents income.
    Done it for 19/20, if both parents are known to and involved with the child and contributing, regardless of being separated or together both have to be declared.

That’s very strange indeed. Did susi know you were separated or divorced ... seems to me you have grounds for appeal ? Their own site has info on it ... see attached screenshot ... be interested to Pm You re same

That’s very strange indeed. Did susi know you were separated or divorced ... seems to me you have grounds for appeal ? Their own site has info on it ... see attached screenshot ... be interested to Pm You re same

My father has had no involvement in my life financially or otherwise so no I don't have to declare him.
    I'm also a mature student and still have to declare parents income.
    The entire point of susi is to allow those who otherwise wouldn't have a chance at higher education the possibility to attend.
    If both parents are well off in good paying jobs but separated. Not a hope should you receive a grant just because they are separated as both can contribute.

No you wouldn't if it was found that you had lied on your application that's fraud, don't forget susi is a government organisation, you don't want to defraud the government.

While open to interpretation "normally or usually resides" in this instance would mean
    Parent x has kids 5/6 days a week y has weekends etc.

Just have the kid declare you're separated if they ask for evidence provide it. Don't make life more difficult than needs be because susi are already famed for being difficult. If theres a delay in grant being recieved by the college the student is liable to pay it.

No need to appeal got my fees as a second chance student.
    Best advice you'll get is follow their steps as laid out to the letter otherwise you'll have nothing but a headache.
    Whilst a lot of the staff are lovely and understanding the organisation as a whole don't care you're a number.

• Advertisement

Also you apply now for academic year 20/21 which is the semester starting the aug/sept.
    19/20 was last aug/Sept.
    You under no circumstances wait till you get accepted, that could be after the closing date, apply the second it's open.

Did your kid get a grant or fee for the plc?

Mjolnir wrote: »
    Also you apply now for academic year 20/21 which is the semester starting the aug/sept.
    19/20 was last aug/Sept.
    You under no circumstances wait till you get accepted, that could be after the closing date, apply the second it's open.

Did your kid get a grant or fee for the plc?

Ok susi not open as far as I know for another little while . No grant for PLC. Did you look at the attached file ... ie susi own guidelines ?

Ok susi not open as far as I know for another little while . No grant for PLC. Did you look at the attached file ... ie susi own guidelines ?

Ask anyone who has ever dealt with susi
    Have all the information at hand and just give what you're asked for.

My category I shouldn't have to provide parents details but because susi don't follow their own rules I do.
    I'm giving you advice of someone that's been through it in two different scenarios it's a pain in the a** just have it all and ready to go.
    That guideline your quoting is more so in the case of people who are technically in the custody of one parent, everything is done individually but having friends been through the same, be prepared to prove separation.
    Might not need to but easier to be ready.

You can get the grant for the PLC.

From January 2020 PLC maintnenance payments will issue on a monthly basis. We confirm attendance with the student’s college at least one week prior to the scheduled payment date. There may be additional payment dates for newly-awarded students to receive their first payment. Students can check their online payment tracker which will reflect the date once their payment has been processed.

You can get the grant for the PLC.

Ok thanks , he asked at plc college they said no. Will have to check that thks

• Advertisement

Ok thanks , he asked at plc college they said no. Will have to check that thks

From January 2020 PLC maintnenance payments will issue on a monthly basis. We confirm attendance with the student’s college at least one week prior to the scheduled payment date. There may be additional payment dates for newly-awarded students to receive their first payment. Students can check their online payment tracker which will reflect the date once their payment has been processed.

Friend wonders does grants apply to apprenticeship to

Friend wonders does grants apply to apprenticeship to

Don't get a grant from susi as an apprentice as far as I'm aware, very unlikely as you're paid for an apprenticeship. You're not paid to go to college or a plc.

Advertisement