Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Insurance questions

• 10-07-2020 11:50am
    Registered Users Posts: 693 ✭✭✭

Looking for advice from anyone with experience and/or expertise on bike insurance, on two questions.

1. My policy is almost up, but it looks like I may overrun the mileage limit. If I change the limit, what kind of extra charge can I expect? Anyone here ever done it?

2. I've found that a motorbike is not the best option for an urban commute (still get stopped at countless traffic lights). Will it actually save money if I take commuting off my policy? I'm thinking they could just say that's all right, thanks very much, and charge the same anyway. If it's going to cost the same, of course I'd keep the commute option for emergencies or whatever.

There seems to be no official information on how things like this are factored into premiums - very much to the advantage of insurers.

Any hard info greatly appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,025 ✭✭✭IrishGrimReaper

The first point is not factored into the premium. Not that I have seen anyway, they don't even ask for evidence of your mileage.

The second one seems to cost an extra 30-40 euro but having a "covering commute" to work charge is a load of ****e anyway, it shouldn't need to be extra and should be part of Social Domestic and pleasure purposes.

• Registered Users Posts: 621 ✭✭✭Chiorino

I'd have to agree that neither of these are going to have any effect on the premium worth talking about. Your age, NCB, where you live and the model of bike are the ones that will have an impact.

• Registered Users Posts: 693 ✭✭✭Breezin

The first point is not factored into the premium. Not that I have seen anyway, they don't even ask for evidence of your mileage.

The second one seems to cost an extra 30-40 euro but having a "covering commute" to work charge is a load of ****e anyway, it shouldn't need to be extra and should be part of Social Domestic and pleasure purposes.

Cheers. I wonder then if you are actually still insured if you go over the limit. Perhaps it's just an estimate that can be exceeded so long as it's not blatant?

Chiorino wrote: »
    I'd have to agree that neither of these are going to have any effect on the premium worth talking about. Your age, NCB, where you live and the model of bike are the ones that will have an impact.

Thanks. Good to know!

Breezin wrote: »
    Cheers. I wonder then if you are actually still insured if you go over the limit. Perhaps it's just an estimate that can be exceeded so long as it's not blatant?

Exactly, it's an estimate you give in good faith and unless you take the piss by going way in excess of the limit, it's not going to cause any problems.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,197 ✭✭✭Miscreant

Chiorino wrote: »
    Exactly, it's an estimate you give in good faith and unless you take the piss by going way in excess of the limit, it's not going to cause any problems.

How are they going to know you exceeded the limit? I have never been asked to show the odometer on my bike or prove the mileage in any way when getting insurance....
    I don't think you need to worry about this OP.

• Advertisement

Miscreant wrote: »
    How are they going to know you exceeded the limit? I have never been asked to show the odometer on my bike or prove the mileage in any way when getting insurance....

It's very unlikely to happen but in the event of a serious claim or where there is reason for an insurer to investigate further (i.e. suspicion of fraud) they have ways and means to check, albeit not as easily as say the UK (MOT reports). But like you said, nothing for OP to worry about.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,236 ✭✭✭goblin59

Miscreant wrote: »

The only time i've ever seen an odometer being used is in the last two years on BIK vehicles where for tax purposes they now require odometer readings as part of the proof of mileage

Advertisement