Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Plex - Live tv what hardware?

• 29-02-2020 2:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,711 ✭✭✭

I'd like to stream live tv through my families plex server.

The only channels I really would like to receive are =

Rte1
    Rte2
    Tv3
    Itv
    and the bbc's

I've seen people talk about the hdhomerun quattro...but I've seen it only has one input. Would I not require both a regular antennae input for saorview & a second input for freesat?

Is there any hardware that I can use in conjunction with plex to achieve my goal?

Any advice would be greatly appreicated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,985 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

Praetorian wrote: »

Rte1
    Rte2
    Tv3
    Itv
    and the bbc's

I've seen people talk about the hdhomerun quattro...but I've seen it only has one input. Would I not require both a regular antennae input for saorview & a second input for freesat?

Is there any hardware that I can use in conjunction with plex to achieve my goal?

HDHomerun does DVB-T (Saorview in your case) only.
    The quatro is unnecessary in most cases as Saorview only uses two tuners for all channels.

You would also need DVB-S (satellite) tuner/s fed from a sat dish to receive and distribute the satellite channels.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,711 ✭✭✭Praetorian

HDHomerun does DVB-T (Saorview in your case) only.
    The quatro is unnecessary in most cases as Saorview only uses two tuners for all channels.

You would also need DVB-S (satellite) tuner/s fed from a sat dish to receive and distribute the satellite channels.

Is there a one piece of hardware solution?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,597 ✭✭✭corsav6

Enigma2 box?

I have an older Zgemma box that lets me stream any channel available, it only has sat tuners but there's plenty of options out there for Saoirview too.

Not for me ....... I use the two tuner boxes referred to above as well as a tiny cheap AMLogic device as a media server which manages tuners, EPG, recordings and distribution on LAN, to multiple clients including phones, tablets, laptops and similar devices.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,711 ✭✭✭Praetorian

https://www.hauppauge.co.uk/site/products/data_hvr5525.html
    I think this one covers both freesat and saorview, but I'd really like an external device!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭rduggy

Hi All - i have same issue bought HDHomeRun thinking this would be a nice edition to my plex server. But not sure what type of antena i would need?

rduggy wrote: »
    Hi All - i have same issue bought HDHomeRun thinking this would be a nice edition to my plex server. But not sure what type of antena i would need?

The type and direction it should be pointed are dependent on your location in relation to the nearest Saorview mast.

This page should help you decide

https://www.saorview.ie/en/get/coverage

The type and direction it should be pointed are dependent on your location in relation to the nearest Saorview mast.

This page should help you decide

https://www.saorview.ie/en/get/coverage

thanks Johnboy1951 sorry if this is a stupid question do i actually have to buy an antenna for the side of my house to get this to work?

If this is the case ill prob return the HDHomeRun and literally use IPTV lol

thanks Johnboy1951 sorry if this is a stupid question do i actually have to buy an antenna for the side of my house to get this to work?

If this is the case ill prob return the HDHomeRun and literally use IPTV lol

As I said you need an aerial.
    The type is dependent on location and distance from the transmitter.

Some people live close enough to a transmitter to use a simple (€2.50) indoor aerial; others use a standard aerial in the attic space, while others mount the aerial outside, often on the same mounts as the Sat dish.

As I said you need an aerial.
    The type is dependent on location and distance from the transmitter.

Some people live close enough to a transmitter to use a simple (€2.50) indoor aerial; others use a standard aerial in the attic space, while others mount the aerial outside, often on the same mounts as the Sat dish.

The coverage map is blank for me? On both Safari and CHrome? You see a map there?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,225 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

The coverage map is blank for me? On both Safari and CHrome? You see a map there?

I put in my eircode and it came up.

CatInABox wrote: »
    I put in my eircode and it came up.

Works on my phone im in Waterford City centre whole map is basically green. Sets me to a MOUNT LEINSTER 49KM away while there is one much closer?

What does this tell me?

The popup tells
    1) Coverage shown is based on a rooftop aerial in good condition (indoor reception may be possible in areas with very good signal strength).
    2) Coverage shown is indicative only.
    3) Local environment (hills, forestry, trees, buildings, and other large obstructions) will cause coverage to vary from what is shown.
    4) 2RN recommends consultation with a local competent aerial installer to confirm coverage in your area.
    5) Working at height (ladders, trestles, roofs, etc.) is dangerous and 2RN recommends that only people qualified to do so should work at heights. For further information and guidance contact the Health and Safety Authority. http://www.hsa.ie/eng/Topics/Work_at_Height

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭NickSantigo

Rte1
    Rte2
    Tv3
    Itv
    and the bbc's

Hi,
    I am in a similar position to yourself except I would be happy with just the Irish channels (RTE, TG4, Virgin, etc.)

What did you go with in the end. Would HDHomeRun work with an antenna?
    Any advice would be appreciated
    Thanks

Hi,
    I am in a similar position to yourself except I would be happy with just the Irish channels (RTE, TG4, Virgin, etc.)

What did you go with in the end. Would HDHomeRun work with an antenna?
    Any advice would be appreciated
    Thanks

HDHomerun dual tuner will make all Saorview channels available at once, after it has been fed with an aerial signal and tuned to your local mast.

• Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭lowbatt07

Rte1
    Rte2
    Tv3
    Itv
    and the bbc's

I looked into this also previously - I initially wanted a fire tv recast as there are fire tv’s in the house for kodi and this would integrate very well but it’s only available in US and works of an ATSC tuner

With respect to the hdhomerun it’s possible that you can pick up UK terrestrial (freeview) is you live in a border area or on the east coast , you can then use a duplexer to combine this with a saor view signal On one coax cable though. My research indicated that since the freeview frequency change in Sept 19 that the signal isn’t reliable here

The other way to do it is feed a freesat box with a signal from a dish then get a hdmi modulator (about €130 ) and feed this with the hdmi our from the freesat box . The modulator also has a rf (terrestrial coax in put) and the modulator combines both signals into one output (&. You can specify which channel) - then use this to feed the hdhomerun and you’ll have UK & Ire channels on it

I thought about using plex pass as a dvr service but on the plex forums I couldn’t get enough Irish specific epg info ie will you get all channels on one listing and how well will the series link service work on the dvr

I think the above solution will work but the modulator is pricey

• Registered Users Posts: 2,687 ✭✭✭Bards

Any update on this... Really interested in getting a box that can combine satellite (BBC, ITV etc) and saorview into plex

Is my best option a PC with multiple tuner cards or is there another option available now?

Advertisement