Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Can I get a thread re-opened?

Options
  • 29-10-2020 4:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,003 ✭✭✭

It was about an After Hours Roast and it was clearly a joke.

Everything on After Hours is inane by nature - that's what makes it entertaining -and I think a bit more leeway should be given on things that are clearly meant to entertain rather than offend people.

None of the 'gags' made any sort of sense and I think just because the moderator didn't see the funny side, it doesn't mean it's unacceptable in my view.

Anyway cheers for reading. These are long days for a lot of people - myself included - and I thought people might find a bit of variety funny.

Thanks.

Comments

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,285 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Forum-specific issues are dealt with in Help Desk, not Feedback

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,285 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

I would usually ask if you have discussed with the local mods. That's the first step to take. I suspect I know the answer having seen the thread in question and I would certainly not be supporting the re-opening of that thread

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,012 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

Hammer89 wrote: »
    It was about an After Hours Roast and it was clearly a joke.

Everything on After Hours is inane by nature - that's what makes it entertaining -and I think a bit more leeway should be given on things that are clearly meant to entertain rather than offend people.

None of the 'gags' made any sort of sense and I think just because the moderator didn't see the funny side, it doesn't mean it's unacceptable in my view.

Anyway cheers for reading. These are long days for a lot of people - myself included - and I thought people might find a bit of variety funny.

Thanks.

Lookit the issue primarily is that while it is meant in jest, it's still breaching Boards Terms and Conditions for personal abuse.

And I think it would devolve into a slagging fest very quickly, the last attempt didn't end too well either - so unfortunately it's a non-runner, in my view anyways.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,024 ✭✭✭✭Baggly

These threads descend into veiled serious insults and grudgescoring, inevitably.

Its against the rules to attack another poster, so those threads by nature are against the rules.

The insults you slung may not have made sense or be intended to hit home hard on the target, but you cant guarantee that wont happen, so the thread isnt tenable.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,163 CMod ✭✭✭✭Ten of Swords

That thread went against both the site rules and the AH charter and, knowing it likely be contentious, you didn't run it be any of the mods or cmods. While you may have intended it to be lighthearted and humorous it wouldn't have stayed that way for long as people tried to either outdo each other with the insults or, more likely, get digs in at posters they disagree with. In short, it wouldn't end well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,003 ✭✭✭Hammer89

Necro wrote: »
    Lookit the issue primarily is that while it is meant in jest, it's still breaching Boards Terms and Conditions for personal abuse.

Not if it isn't personal. Nobody 'targeted' in the OP would've had any clue what I was on about. The insults would've meant nothing to them because they were random insults directed at random, long-standing members who I thought of. The more established they are, the funnier I thought it'd be.

Obviously it's a lost cause at this point but I must say, Boards.ie isn't Irish if you rip the sense of humour out of it. It's just another website in that case. Clearly there's still room to have a laugh and make jokes and whatnot, and I get that, but I also think there's room to have a laugh in different ways without it automatically being deemed unacceptable.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement