Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Laser eye surgery with optilase

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭iSeano90

This, 100%. I had it done 2 weeks ago!

I found the whole thing to be very uncomfortable. Not 'sore' but certainly not a nice experience. Then the pain going home and when I got home was awful, and had me questioning my decision.

But, after a day or so, I could see the benefits of it. I would recommend it, but I would prepare people for what you have to go through. There was no sedative before- and I asked, but they said no.

Also, if anyone wants a referral, please do let me know - its uncomfortable, but worth it :)

• Registered Users Posts: 21,625 ✭✭✭✭Johner

I was walking back to a carpark today after my consultation and was getting a few weird looks realised it was because of that orange dye!

If anyone has a referral for the Dublin clinic that would be great I’ll be using it in the next few days. Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭alicenyhan

• Registered Users Posts: 7,843 ✭✭✭GSPfan

Update from 2 weeks and two days after surgery…

All good. No real complaints. I think I’ve done everything asked of me. The hardest part of it is ensuring you don’t get water in your eyes (or sweat). I’m showering more normally now but keeping my eyes away from direct water still, just to be sure.

Another thing I hadn’t really factored for was the blood stained eyes. The blood In my left eye is almost completely gone. You’d only see a few streaks of red the equivalent of drawing on a page with a red pen.

My right eye still has a blob of blood around the Iris. It’s less noticeable every day but I’d say it’ll be another week at least until my eyes look somewhat normal. No big deal though.

One thing I’m hoping gets a bit better is that my near sight (things close to me within 12 inches) has gone a bit blurry at times. Maybe it’ll settle but the odd time i have to move things away from my face or just try to refocus to see it. Reading something like a book or phone from arms length is perfect.

I’d consider it but my prescription tends to drift which has me wondering if it would be worthwhile at all. I’ve gone from -3.75 to -4.75 over the last few years.

On the other side of it, I had a series of ear surgeries in my late teens, some of the procedures were just absolutely indescribably awful and extremely painful, to the point I still (15 years + later) wake up with nightmares about it, so I’m not sure I should put myself through it.

It seems really handy to no longer need glasses or lenses but I don’t know if I could bring myself to doing it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16 siobhan5454

Hi,

I would totally recommend it. Yes it was uncomfortable while the actual laser was happening, but it was at most 10 minutes of lying on a chair (similar to one at the dentists office). The worst part was the pain after, not so much pain, but my eyes felt like I was staring at the sun, even with my eyes closed. However the pain started at 5pm and was over before 9pm. Just dose up on strong paracetamol!

Over the years my eyesight was -2.5, then -3.5, then -4.5 and at my consultation was -4.75 in each eye. The laser is tailored to your specific prescription on the day, so no need to worry if it deteriorates from the consultation, to the day of the laser as it will be tested again.

I had my Surgery on August 11th and nearly 1 month on, have 0% issues. 20-20 vision the next morning at my 9am appointment, after my 4.30pm surgery the day before! Highly highly reccomend!

Let me know if you need a referral for €100 off, I gladly got one from someone here too.

That’s unfortunate that you still have bad memories from your ear operations. If only there was a surgery to fix that too!

I definitely don’t think the laser eye surgery compares to a traumatic event. That’s obviously just my opinion but even if you had a more painful experience than others then I still don’t think it’s something that would haunt you. I’d describe it as uncomfortable with temporary pain but 3 or 4 hours afterwards you are grand. By the following day you are almost normal.

If you haven’t already done the consultation them maybe start there. You could tell them you nay get anxious on the day so they may give you a sedative. You might be one of the lucky ones.

Well, it was a 4 hour procedure, followed by two further shorter general anaesthetics in the weeks following to change dressings. Head shaved (one side only but shaved rest to match), I was really sick after it due to vertigo and my jaw locked due to swelling of joint and I couldn’t eat properly for weeks and lost about 2 stone, and my neck muscles took about 3 months to loosen up. I failed 4 subjects in the LC, including ones I was very good at and had to repeat.

Hearing is fine sorta, but I still have extremely bad tinnitus on one side.

Fun times!

Main reason I was considering the laser treatment is that I find glasses uncomfortable because the area behind my ear is still sensitive to the arms of glasses (and headphones). If I wear them for a long time I get like twitches in my scalp and a darting / achy pain, so I’ve basically worn contact lenses almost full time ever since. I get on fine with the lenses, always wore them for sport (since I was 13 or so) so I guess just a convenience issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭timple23

How soon are people able to drive after Lasik?

I had my laser (LASIK) at 4.30pm. My check up was 9am the next day and she said I was good to drive then!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭zeroonetwothree

Hi all, was wondering if anyone with dry eyes who got laser done could share their experiences?

I went in for a consultation in May thinking I couldn't be suitable for surgery, but to my surprise they said I'm suitable but to come back in for a dry eye test. I've been going in every few weeks for the dry eye test (four times now) and booked in for surgery. But today, a week before my surgery, I went in (it was supposed to be a pre-surgery appointment, but I did the dry eye test again) and was told by the optician (different one) that she's not happy to give me the go ahead for surgery next week, and postponed it for 2 weeks.

I was really confused because the other opticians said that I was fine, still dry but fine. So yeah, just wanted to hear other's experiences with dry eyes!

I haven't had any problem with mine anyway thankfully. Got mine done Aug 11th. Have to take drops for 1 month after 4 times a day to allied any dry eyes. But tbh I've forgotten sometimes and only do them once/twice a day and no issues. Everyone is different but I've had no problems thankfully.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Loucx1989

Hi, Has anyone had PRK recently with Optilase? I am booked for Oct but have read a few negative stories online about the surgery. I have a high prescription -8.75 in both eyes so it seems as though PRK would be my only option. Thanks :)

• Registered Users Posts: 582 ✭✭✭sportsfan90

I got PRK in 2016, it was my only option too. The surgeon told me if he was getting it done himself that's the procedure he'd go with, whether that was the truth or just to put me at ease I'm not sure.

Anyway no ill-effects in the 5 and a half years since the surgery. Not to play down anyone who unfortunately has had a negative experience, but those people would be far more likely to share their experiences online than the vast majority of people who recover as normal. Feel free to PM me if you'd like to know more.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 MartynaMJ

Hi, Yes have my consultation on Thursday. Thanks for the thread I feel a bit more at ease.

Any chance someone could share their referral code?

Thanks a lot

• Registered Users Posts: 4 NaD33

Hi there, I'm booked in for a consultation with Optilase next week - would anyone mind sending me on a referral code please? Many thanks in advance 🙂

Pm sent :)

Pm sent :)

• Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭tonytiger81

Hi

How long does the initial consult last? As in could I do it during a lunch break from work?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5 Loucx1989

Hi, I was only in there for 30-40 minutes but they use drops to dilate your pupils so vision is not very clear for the next few hours so going to work on a computer wouldnt be possible IMO. You also cant drive after the consulation.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 yonjeremy

Hi, I have my consultation in 15 minutes time! Looking for a referral code please? Thanks!!

• Registered Users Posts: 11 FluidProfessor

• Registered Users Posts: 798 ✭✭✭I Armour I

Have mine at 10 am now In a couple hours, any referrals?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭Happydays2020

How much is it?

It was €3k when I got mine done but that was in 2016 - I'm sure it's probably closer to €4k now.

Hi,

Mine was €3840 in Aug 2021. Price depends on type of surgery. I got LASIK.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,443 ✭✭✭ams

hi there, had my surgery in 2017 and I've noticed deterioration when I'm looking at writing on the TV - just wondering what my next steps are - regular opticians??

• Advertisement

5 week update. Everything is perfect.

I really have no complaints. Only thing i hope now is that it lasts a long time. I experienced very little of the possible side effects of blurred vision, dry eyes, glare at night time. I can’t say I noticed any of it past the 3rd week anyway. Dry eyes is just not a thing for me at all now.

The only thing that was unexpected was the blood stained eyeballs. That only finally cleared up after 4 weeks. It caused no problems other than people wondering what happened to my eyes when they looked at me.

Advertisement