Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Knee replacement pain

Options
  • 13-11-2019 1:39am
    Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭

Folks, can't find much info online so posting here . I'm 5 weeks post op total knee replacement. I've had pain from day 1. I've done my exercises and used the icepack but the pain persists.
    Im not looking for advice, more a case of whether this is normal.

Comments

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,274 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

Afraid so. Five weeks is still very early days, I had varying levels of pain for probably three months after each of my ops. Some days were OK, others it was pretty bad, and even now a couple of years on I'll still have a bit of pain some days, but nothing close to the level it was pre-op. Take painkillers as needed, keep doing the physio and, most importantly, keep icing. Also talk to your physio, if certain exercises are making it worse they may suggest reducing the intensity for a bit or replacing the exercise with a different one. The most important thing to remember is that the failure rate of the operation is very low and that things will improve in time, so stay positive, that's the best thing you can do to help manage the pain.

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭itsnotmyname

Thanks so much for the swift reply - it's reassuring. I know one other person who's had a tkr and he's telling me I shouldn't be in pain...but I guess everyone's journey is different.
    I exercise twice a day, and use the ice pack after. Im doing around 4k steps per day.
    The wound isn't completely healed so I'm holding off returning to the swimming pool till then.
    Roll on 6 week review with consultant.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,274 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

Sounds like you're doing everything right, only thing I'd suggest is icing it another once or twice a day regardless of whether you exercised or not. I found that definitely helped.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,517 ✭✭✭Nothing surprises me now

Agree 100 per cent with Zaph. My husband has had his 2 knees replaced. He couldn't get over the pain after the ops and he has fairly high pain threshold! He thought he'd be back to "normal" after about a month when he had the first one done but it definitely takes time for the pain to ease and you're only 5 weeks in. Keep doing the exercises and applying the ice packs often. He feels the replacements are a great success. He does get some twinges in the first knee he had done but overall he's great and walks about 4/5 miles a day. Mutt is delighted!!
    Best of luck on your recovery.

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭itsnotmyname

Thanks so much for your reply - I've always just got on with things and saw this op as a means to an end. The issue of pain has defo rumbled me, but I'm looking forward to a time I can say its all been worthwhile.
    Glad your husband (and doggie) are reaping the benefits. Continued good health.

• Advertisement
Advertisement