Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Farming Independent article on rural drug use

• 11-11-2019 6:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,634 ✭✭✭

https://m.independent.ie/business/farming/rural-life/jim-obrien-the-man-or-woman-with-the-dusty-nose-can-be-found-at-the-wheel-of-a-john-deere-38661421.html

I think it's a bit of an attention seeking headline and I'm not a massive fan of the Independent but I'm afraid to say they have hit the nail on the head here. The sneachta is absolutely rampant in rural Ireland, I think it's already at epidemic levels. I see it in my home village all the time and unfortunately I have many friends that can't have a night out without it, (farmers included in that by the way)

The part near the end of the article really hits home, young fella in the area decided to do a bit of dealing, had a drug debt to pay off. A boyo from limerick went up to his parents house looking for his money, parents had to pay up as he threatened to burn down the house. Sounds like something that would happen in Finglas, not rural Clare.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 409 ✭✭390kid

endainoz wrote: »
    https://m.independent.ie/business/farming/rural-life/jim-obrien-the-man-or-woman-with-the-dusty-nose-can-be-found-at-the-wheel-of-a-john-deere-38661421.html

I think it's a bit of an attention seeking headline and I'm not a massive fan of the Independent but I'm afraid to say they have hit the nail on the head here. The sneachta is absolutely rampant in rural Ireland, I think it's already at epidemic levels. I see it in my home village all the time and unfortunately I have many friends that can't have a night out without it, (farmers included in that by the way)

The part near the end of the article really hits home, young fella in the area decided to do a bit of dealing, had a drug debt to pay off. A boyo from limerick went up to his parents house looking for his money, parents had to pay up as he threatened to burn down the house. Sounds like something that would happen in Finglas, not rural Clare.
    It’s everywhere. Could be classed as the changing rural scenery

• Registered Users Posts: 3,514 ✭✭✭Limestone Cowboy

endainoz wrote: »

Can't read the article but that story about the young lad with the drug debt sounds familiar and I don't think it was too far away from me. There's a good few that age selling a bit and it's only to keep themselves supplied. It's no secret who the bigger lads are around here but there doesn't seem to be any interest in stopping them.

• Registered Users Posts: 405 ✭✭Donegalforever

I wonder why there is no rush to stop the suppliers of drugs ?
    Have they got "friends in high places" ?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,829 ✭✭✭tabby aspreme

I wonder why there is no rush to stop the suppliers of drugs ?
    Have they got "friends in high places" ?

Customer's is high places more likely

• Registered Users Posts: 845 ✭✭✭duffysfarm

thankfully drugs weren't around when i was growing up & drinking etc. Have young kids now and not looking forward to having to deal with this when they start going out

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,567 ✭✭✭memorystick

Was talking to a farmer last week whose son is back in rehab for the third time. That’s pure hardship.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,640 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

I know a woman in her 50's and her life was ruined by cocaine. It completely destroyed her. She looked like she aged 20 years. Maddens me how the drug is glamorised in our culture. :mad:

'The Bishops blessed the Blueshirts in Galway, As they sailed beneath the Swastika to Spain'

• Registered Users Posts: 1,025 ✭✭✭DukeCaboom

What I find now about drug use from people 18-28 is just how open they talk about it.
    Was on the line for a game one evening and the young lads talked about coke the way we talked about drinking cans at that age.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,019 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

I think drug use amongst guys from a farming background would have risen a lot within the past few years/decades.
    This is just my spin on it anyway. In the past a lot of guys just stayed at home and local. However now people go off to IT/etc and mix with various different people and drugs are a lot more easy accessible and if a habit does happen they'll figure out who to go to locally.
    I'm from the countryside and when I went to college I did find country guys were far more prudish around them tough.(I'm in my late twenties).
    A lot of of is who you mix with tough in my experience.
    At college I'd had being I with a group who could course me anything and another who'd never in their wildest dreams think I could get stuff never mind take it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,936 ✭✭✭I says

For all of ye thinking of snorting, injecting or whatever yer having remember this it’s been so mixed with all sorts of mixing agents it’s probably no where near what it is.
    And by the time you get it and take it, it’s been swallowed and puked up or ****e out By some drugs mule so enjoy it the next time ya roll up a fifty and snort it or heat your spoon.
    Alright kids.

• Advertisement
Advertisement