Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

New HGV truck insurance policy problems!

Options
  • 07-11-2019 9:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 32

Hi All

Looking for advice please

I work for a landscaping company. We currently have fleet insurance for our vehicles all under 3.5 tonne, 5 vehicles in total.

We have placed a deposit on a 2012 daf lf45 180 12 tonne tipper. Went about getting insurance quotes but are finding it very hard even to get a quote as policy holder has no hgv truck experience. we need open driving or 3 named drivers

as mentioned above policy holder and one additional driver have no experience driving hgv/ trucks having just got their full C licence this year. Other 2 drivers have C licence over 20 years. Carriage of own goods only.

We were probably very naive, but are now in a very awkward position, any advice appreciated. Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,646 ✭✭✭Corvo

Hi Kevin,

Yes you will find it difficult without the drivers having the relevant driving history. I know AXA for example require that all drivers have a minimum of three years experience. My only suggestion is that your experienced driver provides a letter from a previous employer that he has the relevant HGV experience on a vehicle of a similar size and unfortunately, it is like the insurer will exclude other drivers. Brings forward the question as to how they will obtain that experience, of course.

Speak to a broker who may have influence with certain insurers, it won't be impossible all the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 32 kevinr7213

Corvo wrote: »
    Hi Kevin,

Yes you will find it difficult without the drivers having the relevant driving history. I know AXA for example require that all drivers have a minimum of three years experience. My only suggestion is that your experienced driver provides a letter from a previous employer that he has the relevant HGV experience on a vehicle of a similar size and unfortunately, it is like the insurer will exclude other drivers. Brings forward the question as to how they will obtain that experience, of course.

Speak to a broker who may have influence with certain insurers, it won't be impossible all the same.

Hi there, thanks for taking the time to reply I appreciate it. We actually managed to get a quote today finally! As you had mentioned above we contacted ( plauged) our broker and they finally came back today with some positive news, for anyone interested the quote was from Wrightway. I'm not going to get into figures but it was very expensive. The price to insure the truck was more than the total to insure the other five vehicles!!!! They basically said we were lucky to get the quote and it should come down next year. So will just have to grin and bear it for the first year unfortunately!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement