Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

PS4 Pro Audio

• 29-10-2019 9:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 42

Hi, anybody have any thoughts about how to get decent audio out of the PS4 Pro. I use a Logitech G935 gaming headset and output the audio via USB. Occasionally I'll hook my Sennheiser HD599 headphones up to the speakers (which are connected to the monitor via HDMI). Both solutions are just average sound quality. Sound levels seem low on both. Has anybody tried to output audio via the optical cable to an amp/dac and what amp/dac did you use? Any input greatly appreciated.

Comments

I have the Creative Soundblaster G6 which works on PS4. Now i'm on PC but the sound is incredible with it.
    The software wont work on console but you can still use it.

• Registered Users Posts: 42 SniperOverLord

I was looking at that particular soundcard after I posted my original message. Seems to be exactly what I'M after. How did you connect it to the ps4? optical or usb?

I'm on PC not console. There is an optical cable in the box with it that you connect to the PS4. It's powered by plugging in to a USB port(USB cable comes with it too). I think the slim PS4 is the only one that doesn't have an optical port.

Well I’ve just bought it off amazon half an hour ago. Couldn’t find one negative review on it so it must be good. Should be a huge improvement on the onboard PS4 sound anyway......

Well I’ve just bought it off amazon half an hour ago. Couldn’t find one negative review on it so it must be good. Should be a huge improvement on the onboard PS4 sound anyway......

It has a Low/High gain switch on it too. Watch your hearing if you have it on High. My 250ohm Beyerdynamics go verrrrrrrry loud with it.

You won't regret the purchase.

• Advertisement

I’ll be using 50 ohm sennheiser 599’s, but the plan is to get my hands on a out of hd700’s - so good to hear that it drives the Beyerdynamic’s well!

They'll sound great with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,799 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

Did not know you could use external sound cards with the PS4. Interesting! I was using my Turtle Beach XP510's for years, they had their own dock/stand which connected via Optical, always thought they sounded amazing. Googled them there are they're still upwards of $400! Anyway, they broke not too long ago (the plastic where the ear cup connected to the headset broke, on both sides, many times and now have been 'fixed' too many times, there's no grip on your head anymore). Have been using my AKG tuned* in ear headphones which came with the S10, and I've come to accept the quality, which isn't bad at all.

But definitely looking into that soundcard for future purchases! Are they Gold/Platinum Official Headsets not any good?

I’ve used the official headsets, and also the Logitech g935. They’re all ok, they’ll do the trick if you’re not fussy about audio. I’ve recently been using a decent set of Sennheiser through the 3.5mm jack on my speakers and they’re a marked improvement on the “gaming headsets”. Soundstage is simply miles better. From the bit of research I’ve been doing, a good set of audiophile headphones combined with a decent dac/amp beats a gaming headset evert day of the week.

Yea. I'm a bit of a headphone collector and also have a modmic wireless that i use with them when I need comms. I'd never buy a gaming headset again.

• Advertisement

Yea. I'm a bit of a headphone collector and also have a modmic wireless that i use with them when I need comms. I'd never buy a gaming headset again.

Some of new high end sennheiser gaming headsets look good enough, but i'm still not convinced. I think the new GSP 670 is around €380 and will probably still drown you in base like most gaming headsets.

Some of new high end sennheiser gaming headsets look good enough, but i'm still not convinced. I think the new GSP 670 is around €380 and will probably still drown you in base like most gaming headsets.

I actually have a pair of GSP 500's and they sound very good but still not on the same level as a pair of their audio line. Bass isn't over exaggerated like a lot of gaming headsets. Not used them in a good while now.

I actually have a pair of GSP 500's and they sound very good but still not on the same level as a pair of their audio line. Bass isn't over exaggerated like a lot of gaming headsets. Not used them in a good while now.

Whats the soundstaging like on the GSP 500?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,480 ✭✭✭✭Varik

Did not know you could use external sound cards with the PS4. Interesting! I was using my Turtle Beach XP510's for years, they had their own dock/stand which connected via Optical, always thought they sounded amazing. Googled them there are they're still upwards of $400! Anyway, they broke not too long ago (the plastic where the ear cup connected to the headset broke, on both sides, many times and now have been 'fixed' too many times, there's no grip on your head anymore). Have been using my AKG tuned* in ear headphones which came with the S10, and I've come to accept the quality, which isn't bad at all.

But definitely looking into that soundcard for future purchases! Are they Gold/Platinum Official Headsets not any good?

Problem with the Sony ones is they only work on the through the USB dongle, and unlike the older ones which had a 3.5mm jack on the dongle the newer ones don't.

The turtle beach are very poorly made/designed. That 400 you mention is just that it's only limited stock. Back when they'd that design for most of their headset you'd have it failing at either of the joints, most of them had metal in parts of the headband but if you do that then your just focusing stress where it ends. Current deigned vary a bit for them but wouldn't put any faith in them now either.

If you go for wired, then an external dac, decent headphones, and a seperate mic is best. Dependant on the mic and dac, you could also control chat audio without going into game or party settings.

Whats the soundstaging like on the GSP 500?

Very very good. If you're thinking of going with a gaming headset i'd recommend them or the Game One's.

Very very good. If you're thinking of going with a gaming headset i'd recommend them or the Game One's.

Just received the soundblasterx g6 and connected it up with the hd599 using optical. Soundstage is phenominal while playing rdd2.

Advertisement