Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Education requirements

• 24-10-2019 1:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 333 ✭✭

Hi all,

Just wondering if anyone can advise me on this. I have just finshed a college degree in a hospitality related field. Its a level 8 BSC award through TUD. I didn't do very well in secondary school failed my leaving cert and never passed maths in the junior. But returned as a mature student and got a degree anyway.

My question is for the like of apprenticeships will they wave the results in light that I have a degree and working experience. I'm considering a change in field and want to go into an electrical apprenticeship or somthing similar.

Any advice would be welcome.

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,103 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

It would seem foolish of them to insist on a much lower qualification. Why not ring a couple of firms and ask them?

In requirements they usually have something like 'or relevant experience or qualifications'. The JC/LC requirements are aimed at school leavers, not mature students.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,816 ✭✭✭skooterblue2

Its a level 8 BSC award through TUD. I didn't do very well in secondary school failed my leaving cert and never passed maths in the junior.
    My question is for the like of apprenticeships will they wave the results in light that I have a degree and working experience. I'm considering a change in field and want to go into an electrical apprenticeship or somthing similar.

Any advice would be welcome.

I would be worried about the lack of Maths or Physics. However I knew some GAA wonderkids who couldnt pass maths for the junior cert who are working as electricians for a big European contractor. All degrees are not equal. While you may have work ethic, you are moving from one different work culture to another.

I am dealing with a similar thing with age. They say "Oh we are all equal opportunity" but in reality they are steeped in old school and nepotism. They want their "own kind". Anyone with reasonable and proportional application can get into university but you need a willing sponsor for an apprenticeship. Hence the nepotism. Go in with your eyes open

• Registered Users Posts: 1,625 ✭✭✭Lefty Bicek

If you didn't pass Junior Cert maths, how are you going to convince a potential employer that you could get through an electrical apprenticeship ?

GAA wonderkids might get an apprenticeship, and might get through phase two, and might do grinds to get them through phase four and six.

On the other hand, it wouldn't be unknown for contractors to take lads on, charge the client the full rate for them while paying them the apprentice pittance, have them running around like lunatics doing grunt work like pulling cables for a year and a half (ie learning nothing) before they get called to Solas, and then make it awkward for them to get released for their 20 weeks anyway, if business is booming. Cast them adrift then if they fall at the later phases.

If you can persuade someone to take you on despite failing Junior Cert maths, more power to you. With that kind of persuasiveness, you should think about a career in sales.

Instructors will bend over backwards to help genuine guys get over the line if they are marginal, but if you can't handle basic (and it is basic) trigonometry or algebra, you are in for a miserable time in phase 4 and phase 6. You'll be lost.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,816 ✭✭✭skooterblue2

With that kind of persuasiveness, you should think about a career in sales.

Coming from a catering background, yeah its a fairly crap profession with most of my class (25/30) gone before 30. They have all changed profession. Problems, late hours, limited progression, ****ty bosses and no permanency.

Plumbing and Electrician (particularly instrumentation) are two of the most in demand profession. You also need to be "in" these professions. They have their own "cliques", unless you can break them you arent getting in. I know two guys with Masters in Construction Management and cant get a job in the industry.

I am not sure where to direct you. Should you go back and do your leaving again? Did you do your best first time around? A level 6 from Springboard would get you a pharmaceutical job. I would advise paying for a proper educational psychologist (Reg Psychologist). Stay away from anyone associated with a third level institution, I find them either inexperienced or too old to give a crap.

Maybe you should work for a while longer in hospitality. There is nothing better to focus you on what you want to do. Get this years "what color is your parachute". Then visit Institutes of Technology open day and Solas open days. "Go Press the flesh", talk to course directors, find out what courses require. This will give you enlightenment.

Advertisement