Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Ireland's low population and insignificance

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,298 ✭✭✭✭Collie D

The Alpha wrote: »
    Huh? I'm already there. I'm a British citizen. Mods can check my IP to confirm.

Ah, OK. Tell me this. Would you have voted yourself into obscurity if you’d been old enough at the time of the Brexit referendum?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 667 ✭✭✭lola85

Seriously? Have you never heard about the peasant hovels and tenements?

But we’re told this generation has it tougher than ever before?

kneemos wrote: »
    All the delicate flowers are butthurt because someone criticised the greatest little country in the world.

Hardly. Plenty of things we can be criticised for but the OP trying to base his criticism on something as ridiculous as the number of people living here is..well...ridiculous.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,408 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

Collie D wrote: »
    Hardly. Plenty of things we can be criticised for but the OP trying to base his criticism on something as ridiculous as the number of people living here is..well...ridiculous.

Why we haven't increased our population is quite interesting.

Anyhoo I think he was just making a point. Some folk got immediately offended.

Nah, the best one was "Ireland is so blah blah, it's going to go into recession because of Brexit." Yeah, the UK shoots itself in the balls and laughs at Ireland for getting blood spatter on its clothes.

Going onto another country's forums to gloat about the achievements of others you happen to share a nationality with. Even if it's a troll, it's just pathetic. IQ 80 level stuff.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Are you serious? We have increased our population year on year at a greater rate, by far, than any other European country.

He's not making a point at all; that's the problem.

He had no point other than “Ireland has a low population so is therefore ****e” which isn’t a point, it’s trolling.

When asked to back it up he changed tack. When that was challenged with facts he had nothing.

There probably is a good thread or discussion on Ireland’s population but the OP certainly isn’t it.

Are you serious? We have increased our population year on year at a greater rate, by far, than any other European country.

He's not making a point at all; that's the problem.

That's like saying croquet is the fastest growing sport in Ireland.

He had no point other than “Ireland has a low population so is therefore ****e” which isn’t a point, it’s trolling.

When asked to back it up he changed tack. When that was challenged with facts he had nothing.

There probably is a good thread or discussion on Ireland’s population but the OP certainly isn’t it.

He never said it was ****e. His point was a bigger population would deliver greater economic and political clout.

What countries would you choose to compare population growth rates to instead?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

You'd argue with you nails, as my granny used to say.

You said

When in effect we most certainly have done, and substantially so.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭Obvious Desperate Breakfasts

What's up with that? London, LITERALLY one city has twice the population of all of the republic of Ireland. Should government encourage breeding or what?
    Let's look at other smaller countries that are close to Ireland
    Netherlands: 17 million
    Belgium: 11 million
    Austria: 9 million (rugged country with most land uninhabitable)
    Switzerland: 8

Is potato eating the main cause of this insignificance? The most bizarre is london being twice the size of all irelands "cities" (small towns in UK) and towns combined.

London is pretty overwhelming though. A busy yet lonely place. I love visiting it but actually living there? Oof. No.

Seems like Sweden probably has a lower population density than Ireland? Oh wait, you said Switzerland.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,341 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

Ireland has a low population.

Amazing earth shattering news.

In other developments: water continues to be wet.

He never said it was ****e. His point was a bigger population would deliver greater economic and political clout.

Insignificant then. I thought it would be clear I was paraphrasing although I concede I probably shouldn’t have used quotation marks.

He didn’t actually make that point either. He only brought up economy as another way of having a pop. He never actually made the link himself.

I stick by my statement that he had no point.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,316 ✭✭✭nthclare

Why would you put a mallet to a dog. If I've seen you doing that, there would be nothing left to see afterwards.
    I'm also British btw.

Who's saying I'm British, aslo ???

You'd argue with you nails, as my granny used to say.

You said

When in effect we most certainly have done, and substantially so.

Obviously it doesn't take much to register a significant percentage increase.
    The rise in population has occurred in recent years,no doubt due to the economy. Anyone around nine the eighties will remember it was last one out switch the lights off.

Why it hasn't increased since the 1900's is the interesting bit.

Obviously it doesn't take much to register a significant percentage increase.
    The rise in population has occurred in recent years,no doubt due to the economy. Anyone around nine the eighties will remember it was last one out switch the lights off.

Why it hasn't increased since the 1900's is the interesting bit.

All countries are at various stages of overpopulation. We're not bad in that regard.

Considering it's such a major issue, I'd saw we should be glad that our number is quite low.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,179 ✭✭✭✭noodler

All the delicate flowers are butthurt because someone criticised the greatest little country in the world.

What was the criticism again?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭mad muffin

I think Ireland’s population is at a manageable level at the moment. I don’t think the Irish politicians could handle anymore.

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭The Alpha

Where is the proof? Send me the proof and wait for obliteration as I will certainly refute it.

• Advertisement

noodler wrote: »
    What was the criticism again?

Dunno.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,179 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Dunno.

Yeah, exactly.

So your post was bollox.

noodler wrote: »
    Yeah, exactly.

So your post was bollox.

No it wasn't.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,505 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

When will it be Denmark or Swedens go for a mauling?

Norway is by far the wealthiest country in Europe per head and is several times larger than Ireland, it's population is also smaller than London.

We are in no way unique. It's also amazing how wealthy we are, we are in a duff location by European standards and have no natural resources bar grass.

Shallow thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 60,282 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Australia 30 times the size of England with about triple the population of London what's up with that.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,625 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

What's up with that? London, LITERALLY one city has twice the population of all of the republic of Ireland. Should government encourage breeding or what?

Is potato eating the main cause of this insignificance? The most bizarre is london being twice the size of all irelands "cities" (small towns in UK) and towns combined.

With the exception of Switzerland all those other countries were also former empires that raped and pillaged a lot of wealth into their economies

Australia 30 times the size of England with about triple the population of London what's up with that.

Uninhabitable for the most part. Relatively new country also.

• Registered Users Posts: 968 ✭✭✭railer201

UK is perhaps over-populated due to the British Empire. Having tramped the globe and making everyone British citizens - what would one expect. Anyway workers were needed (many Irish) to build the canals and railways and man the cotton mills, without which Britain would have sweet FA.

As regards potatoes, the British were responsible for running the country during the Famine period in which an estimated 1 million people died of disease and starvation and another million forced into emigration. Not really a joking matter as the population prior to that was 8 million.

• Registered Users Posts: 786 ✭✭✭vladmydad

I’ve changed my mind regarding past imperialism. A stronger more advanced civilization should conquer vast mineral rich backward lands. While there was routinely terrible consequences for indigenous people, over time humanity benefited exponentially from the British, Spanish empires just as civilization benefited from the Roman Empire. It’s survival of the fittest.

Maybe I should start a thread on this ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Junkyard Tom

I'm not great with numbers but if you add the humans, cows, porkers, chickens and foxes we total up at about a population of 7 billion or something like that.

Advertisement