Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

What makes a great pub great.

Options
  • 25-07-2019 3:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 20

What makes your favorite pub different from others? Why is it great?
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,211 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

No loud music.

Fcuk Putin. Glory to Ukraine!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,748 ✭✭✭Deebles McBeebles

No TV. Good beer. Never packed.

• Registered Users Posts: 21 Candlemass

No TV!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,484 ✭✭✭Andrew00

If the racing is on the tele with a bookie next door and no young lads glued to the phones

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,077 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

Staff who become your friends.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 43,024 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

very little natural light

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Sally O'Brien and the way she might look at you

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,132 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

A pool table or some table tennis!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,316 ✭✭✭nthclare

When you're out surfing on a winter's evening, you're drying yourself and the wind's Baltic...
    You're drying for a hot drink and you drive from Doolin via Liscannor and Egan's looks like the blind's are down...

But you check the door anyhow and it's open and the blast of hot air hits you, the fire's on and you get a warm smile from the Spanish bar lady when you walk in the door....

Egan's the best pub in Clare

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,398 ✭✭✭Franz Von Peppercorn II

No loud music.

And yet very few pub owners agree. There must be a reason, probably that a pub seems too quiet if relatively empty and no music.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,167 ✭✭✭Fr_Dougal

Turf fire, good pint of Guinness. Somewhere that hands out nibbles to their customers, let it be sandwiches or cocktail sausages.

Somewhere that all you have to do is nod and they serve you the same round again.

• Registered Users Posts: 468 ✭✭w/s/p/c/

- Staff who aren't pr*cks.
    - Good pint (as in taps are constantly flowing).
    - Clientele who are regulars that you can sit and chat with about anything (same goes for bar staff).
    - Clean jacks are always a positive!
    - Only food being served are bags of peanuts and packets of crisps, none of this gastro pub lark.
    - No gimmicks like board games etc (I include a pool table in that too!!)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,149 ✭✭✭Tammy!

Lock-in's

• Registered Users Posts: 30,185 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

We used go to this place on college. Ground floor had musical blaring and 1st floor was almost silent and great for a chat.
    It was a great place for a night out with a mix of people

• Closed Accounts Posts: 594 ✭✭✭Force Carrier

And yet very few pub owners agree. There must be a reason, probably that a pub seems too quiet if relatively empty and no music.

If you can't talk you'll drink more. Spend more.

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭The Real Ramona

No airs and graces about the place.

Also agree with the no tvs and no loud music.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,742 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

If you can't talk you'll drink more. Spend more.

If I can't talk, I'll just spend nothing and leave.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,008 ✭✭✭uch

The only thing on the telly in my local is horse racing or football if the racing is finished, if you ask for anything else he'll politely tell you the pub over the road is showing it

21/25

• Registered Users Posts: 8,356 ✭✭✭corner of hells

Should only serve Guinness, cider and whiskey, barmen should all be ol' fellas wearing trousers and shirts.
    The bar managers word is final and not up for discussion.

No gob****es with beards shall be allowed in , no young ones screechin'about love island either.Mobile phones to be kept on silent and in your pocket.

Pub should have an open fire , floor need only be ever swept every six weeks or so.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,316 ✭✭✭nthclare

Should only serve Guinness, cider and whiskey, barmen should all be ol' fellas wearing trousers and shirts.
    The bar managers word is final and not up for discussion.

No gob****es with beards shall be allowed in , no young ones screechin'about love island either.Mobile phones to be kept on silent and in your pocket.

Pub should have an open fire , floor need only be ever swept every six weeks or so.

The good old sawdust on the floor trick, love it...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,969 ✭✭✭Assetbacked

No serving of cocktails, slowing down the service.
    No loud acoustics, including groups of people making too much noise.
    Non-pretentious - respect given and respect expected.
    Good Guinness but also a good selection of beers.
    Open late enough on a weekend.
    For others it's not a thing, but for me inexpensive, hearty food and guaranteed golf, rugby, football etc. on TV makes a good bar.
    Good outside area, even if it's just standing on the street (e.g. Keogh's).

• Registered Users Posts: 4,453 ✭✭✭sioda

Good company and no TV in a mobile phone blackspot

• Registered Users Posts: 16,342 ✭✭✭✭Leg End Reject

No need to be overly dressed up or trendy, guaranteed a seat and friendly staff.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,055 ✭✭✭JohnnyFlash

Barmen who are quick, decent pints, covered smoking area, randy women.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,459 ✭✭✭Pauliedragon

How long's a piece of string. I like loud some people like quiet. I like blondes u like brunettes. I like meat you like fish. There is no great it's about personal choice. Its like the fools I used to serve ordering a €100 bottle of wine just to be seen when the €20 is just as good but you might personally not like it. We all have different opinions which is what makes us humans great and helps keeps the godfathers at boards in business. ðŸ‘

nthclare wrote: »
    The good old sawdust on the floor trick, love it...

Works a treat for O'Connor's "famous" pub in Salthill. Tourists swarm the place.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,745 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

A pub you can go into on your own and talk to people all night. I've never found such places in Ireland but had many such haunts while living abroad. I find in Dublin anyway people just go in and keep to themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,198 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

It's because you drink more when the music is loud

• Registered Users Posts: 7,537 ✭✭✭Dr. Bre

The smell of Guinness Farts

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,378 ✭✭✭Riddle101

Nice friendly atmosphere.
    No overpriced drinks.
    Some decent music that isn't too distracting but easy to listen to.
    Decent pints.
    An outdoor area for people to sit on sunny days, but also allows you some peace and quite from the noise inside the pub.

Advertisement