Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Ryan Tubridy, the late late and country and irish

Options
2»

Comments

Sounds like it might have been Cliona Hagan, she was at school with relatives of mine. She has loads of vids on youtube including cover of Emmylou Harris, Born to Run that my niece is mad about.
    Lovely girl but God that's some dire music!

Wikipedia Page
    Facebook Page

I'm not sure her musical interest and mine would be the same, but she had one hell of an impressive voice.

Great set of lungs on her altogether, like.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

They churn out that many country singing plastic dolly birds in Northern Ireland that there must be a factory somewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,421 ✭✭✭ToddyDoody

country singing plastic dolly birds

Nice.

ToddyDoody wrote: »
    Nice.

They're not bad alright.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,979 ✭✭✭Stovepipe

Nathan Carter grinning constantly, for minutes at a time. I was waiting for his mouth to fall off....Irish people wearing Stetsons indoors and not getting how stupid they look......praising these clowns as if they were saints, instead of twats with stupid names. Tear up your TV license. I'd give Ryan Tubridy credit for a lot of things but this was pure, unmitigated backward ****e.

• Advertisement

Stovepipe wrote: »
    Nathan Carter grinning constantly, for minutes at a time. I was waiting for his mouth to fall off....Irish people wearing Stetsons indoors and not getting how stupid they look......praising these clowns as if they were saints, instead of twats with stupid names. Tear up your TV license. I'd give Ryan Tubridy credit for a lot of things but this was pure, unmitigated backward ****e.

What do you suggest everyone be forced to listen to then? Or have you a few options on your approved list?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,547 ✭✭✭Agricola

It's as if Tubridy's Late Late Show is being beamed to us from an parallel universe where all the turmoil and social change of the last 30 years never happened.

In the old day's Gay Byrne used to champion new music and upcoming bands, interviewed people who at the time seemed like the devil incarnate to a lot of viewers and had plenty of rip roaring panel debates about said social changes.
    Now the LLS comprises of misery special editions where extremely miserable people get the opportunity to be extremely miserable on national television, annual "get yourself the ride" editions where sexually frustrated people who are well lubricated (oh matron) on free booze are thrown at each other on national television and......is it quarterly now?.......... country music specials where Nathan Carter and Daniel O' Donnell are wheeled out to take part in what must be the most Asexual piece of television broadcast anywhere in the world on a Friday night.

Fúcking hell.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,979 ✭✭✭Stovepipe

What do you suggest everyone be forced to listen to then? Or have you a few options on your approved list?

You listen to what you like, it's a free country. I like to listen to John Creedon on RTE radio 1 in the evenings when I'm driving to work. If I wanted to listen to country music, I'll have a go at Glen Campbell or some Louisiana bluegrass, not some pale imitiation from Westmeath or Mayo. RTE is awash with Daniel O'Donnell so I have to reach for the remote...
    regards
    Stovepipe

• Registered Users Posts: 12,364 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

Good ole cow Shiite music at its best.

Was going to thank this and realised I already did, so thanks again. :)

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,223 ✭✭✭Sam Quentin

I work most weekend nights and was told by loads of people the Late Late was great Fri night,.so when I hear that I tune in to the repeat on one of my nights off(tonight)and must say I was well impressed from the intro and still really enjoying it.... Great gig to be fair..

• Advertisement

Nathan Carter grinning constantly, for minutes at a time. I was waiting for his mouth to fall off....
    He was smiling so fixedly, I thought the man had tetanus. That ain't normal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 840 ✭✭✭The Late Late Show

You listen to what you like, it's a free country. I like to listen to John Creedon on RTE radio 1 in the evenings when I'm driving to work. If I wanted to listen to country music, I'll have a go at Glen Campbell or some Louisiana bluegrass, not some pale imitiation from Westmeath or Mayo. RTE is awash with Daniel O'Donnell so I have to reach for the remote...
    regards
    Stovepipe

I have to agree with this. The amount of mediocre to bad music that gets pushed in Ireland is amazing. Ireland has become a copy of modern Nashville when it comes to pumping out woeful music.

I think this emphasis on so-called original music has destroyed music too. Anyone comes along who writes their own songs and sings them is lauded. Truth is the likes of Gavin James, Damian Dempsey and Declan O'Rourke are very mediocre. They are not the gods RTE and the like make them out to be. Then, there are all these younger college bands doing the same and writing even worse original songs.

There was one time at least some genres were free of this. Irish country music as done by Daniel was not ever the most exciting but at least Daniel was doing proper songs and lead people to discover more exciting versions of them. For example, Daniel did the bluegrass songs I Wonder Where You Are Tonight and Little Cabin Home On The Hill and it could lead people to the superior Bill Monroe versions. But now modern Irish country singers are writing their own songs and guess what? They sound like those things Gavin James, etc. write and they sing them like boyband singers (many modern Irish country singers were once in boybands). Why RTE and the like push all this despite many people not liking it at all.

Speaking of bluegrass, here is more of this. I am in the New Ross/Dubrody/Ballyhack part of Wexford for a break between 23-28 August and learned there is a bluegrass festival in the area in Dunmore East. I was thinking it would provide an alternative to pub bands or pluggers of original material and I'd be in for a treat with a lot of Bill Monroe songs and the like. Checked out the bands and gave them all a listen online and the same old drivel: not bluegrass in the least. Original songs and covers of When You Say Nothing At All (a modern country song that has become a favourite of the boybands here). No thank you: can get that anywhere.

It is really sad that bands cannot sing the proper songs of genres and cannot adapt. You can be 100% sure many of these bands at this festival have no Bill Monroe albums in their collections and those that do are not encouraged by festivals that pander to drunken audiences to do them. Isn't is sad that it is left to Daniel O'Donnell to cover bluegrass songs and real bluegrass bands cannot be promoted in 2019 Ireland?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

He,s a good presenter, he ,s doing his best,
    theres only a limited amount of singers , actors celebs to interview in ireland .Ireland is a small country.
    The toy show is still very entertaining .
    When gay byrne was on the late late there seemed to be more international famous people on it, famous american and uk actors .
    I think famous actors, celebs go on the graham norton show ,
    it,s hardly worth while going on the late late show to promote a book
    or a film ,when there,s loads of talk shows in america.
    In the 80,s and the 90s, we had more irish pop ,rock groups
    who had big hits all over the world .thin lizzy ,u2 etc
    We have singers like Hozier , who have one hot song .
    And thats it.
    I think he,s a good presenter , he cannot really control who goes, on his
    show .
    If you want to watch celeb x being interviewed ,
    look on youtube .
    i wonder doe,s anyone under the age of 30 watch the late late show
    at all ?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,707 ✭✭✭Bobblehats

regards
    Stovepipe

Yeah well I think I get irish country. it’s a defence mechanism. The message is you better change your tune before you set foot in our backwoods, son because we are a traditional good old fashioned family orientated god fearing peoples and if you wanna listen to all that eclectic jazz DJ John daddy cool Creedon is knocking out you can do it in the privacy of your own pot smoke filled cabin. They are saying this is country-country; so take a hike.....

• Registered Users Posts: 12,364 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

riclad wrote: »
    theres only a limited amount of singers , actors celebs to interview in ireland .Ireland is a small country.
    When gay byrne was on the late late there seemed to be more international famous people on it, famous american and uk actors .
    And thats it.
    show .
    look on youtube .
    at all ?

They featured Elbow once, I think it preceded their Picnic appearance, I also think they had gigs in Dublin as well, but I was like, Phuck! me, the Late, Late is showing something semi-decent, it was like. wow, where did that come out of give me more. Dave fanning should have Tubridy's job, at least he would have some decent music and he is a good interviewer.

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,618 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Bobblehats wrote: »
    Yeah well I think I get irish country. it’s a defence mechanism. The message is you better change your tune before you set foot in our backwoods, son because we are a traditional good old fashioned family orientated god fearing peoples and if you wanna listen to all that eclectic jazz DJ John daddy cool Creedon is knocking out you can do it in the privacy of your own pot smoke filled cabin. They are saying this is country-country; so take a hike.....

The same venues that play Country & Irish will then have a scouse house DJ on a week later

It's just indicative of awful music taste, nothing else

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 129 ✭✭Ecce No Homo

And thats it.
    show .
    look on youtube .
    at all ?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,731 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Country n Irish, the musical equivalent of magnolia paint.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,761 ✭✭✭Aglomerado

Country n Irish, the musical equivalent of magnolia paint.

There's a country and Irish festival coming up in Fermoy sometime in August.

...sponsor is a local undertaker. No lie. :D

https://www.corkindependent.com/news/topics/articles/2019/06/26/4176117-fermoy-going-a-little-bit-country/

• Registered Users Posts: 5,942 ✭✭✭topper75

More like brown envelopes from management companies

What?!
    Payola taken by a state broadcaster?
    That is not something an investigative journalist with integrity would pick up on and make a name for themselves, is it? ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,942 ✭✭✭topper75

...gave them all a listen online and the same old drivel: not bluegrass in the least. You can be 100% sure many of these bands at this festival have no Bill Monroe albums in their collections and those that do are not encouraged by festivals that pander to drunken audiences to do them...

The term gets abused here in Ireland - often used as a catch-all for music played on acoustic instruments. I might have to resort to wearing this:
    Make-Bluegrass-hat.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 840 ✭✭✭The Late Late Show

L1011 wrote: »
    The same venues that play Country & Irish will then have a scouse house DJ on a week later

It's just indicative of awful music taste, nothing else

Yes. Every festival these days is either taken over by some modern country and Irish act, some ex boyband/talent show act or some stuck up singer/songwriter who refuses to play anything but his own drivel because he thinks his songs are the best thing ever written. There is a need to get away from all this modern, original, factory produced fare. A folk/traditional/classics revival is overdue and it is time to give us an alternative to ALL these cocky performers of modern music in Ireland be they pop, country or whatever.
    Aglomerado wrote: »
    There's a country and Irish festival coming up in Fermoy sometime in August.

...sponsor is a local undertaker. No lie. :D

https://www.corkindependent.com/news/topics/articles/2019/06/26/4176117-fermoy-going-a-little-bit-country/

Says it all really! Most forms of modern music = the death of music.

Advertisement