Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Turas Nua

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,420 ✭✭✭splinter65

El_Bee wrote: »
    I thought Turas Nua/Jobpath were being shut down? I've been summoned to a meeting with them next week.

The government were defeated in a motion in the Dáil. That doesn’t really mean anything. SF/PBP etc put forward a motion that TN/Seetec should be disbanded and the motion was carried. The government that is FG/FF will just ignore that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43 BillyKilkenny

My next appointment is for a network workshop. Does anyone know what this is

• Registered Users Posts: 1,924 ✭✭✭Conall Cernach

They'll invite a bunch of you in and give you a presentation.

• Registered Users Posts: 624 ✭✭✭zoe 3619

Yes,as I remember it a course on how to look for jobs via family/freinds/social media etc.
    Nothing complicated,maybe about 12 in the room guided by an advisor and working through a handout leaflet.

They'll invite a bunch of you in and give you a presentation.
    Thanks for the quick reply. Does it take the three hours it says on the letter. Are there employers there or anything like that

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 624 ✭✭✭zoe 3619

Thanks for the quick reply. Does it take the three hours it says on the letter. Are there employers there or anything like that

Yes,they'll be someone there to speak and guide you through it.Sort of a group presentation.
    Might take the three hours or maybe a bit less,and probably with a break half way through to grab a coffee somewhere or have a smoke.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

is this TN nonsense being shelved or what?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,083 ✭✭✭Rubberchikken

unemployed that want employment need an organisation manned by people who are trained to help othets get employment. it should have connections with companies that would be willing to give new inexperienced school leavers/graduates work experience but it needs to be properly and professionally and ethically run, unlike the shambles that has gone before.

TN is just another badly thought out scheme by politicians and civil servants massage unemployment numbers.

fryup wrote: »
    is this TN nonsense being shelved or what?
    Oh it's still there. Pointless as ever. Laughing at people when they leave the office. An unreal experience to say the least

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,070 ✭✭✭✭pq0n1ct4ve8zf5

It'll take three hours with a break. No there'll be no employers there, you'll spend three hours

a) having someone slowly explaining to you what LinkedIn in and how to say to people you know who already have jobs "know of any jobs?"

b) everyone filling out a workbook about how to ask people you know for jobs, why it's good to ask people for jobs, and how you can do it over Facebook.

c) you get your very own certificate about how you spent three hours doing that.

Should you then decide to cut off your toe rather than have to do anything like that again, you might get moved on to DA, which is a big success for Turas Nua.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 933 ✭✭✭El_Bee

Should you then decide to cut off your toe rather than have to do anything like that again, you might get moved on to DA, which is a big success for Turas Nua.

What's DA?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,070 ✭✭✭✭pq0n1ct4ve8zf5

What's DA?

Disability Allowance

• Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭blowin3

Was at presentation today and there was person from the department giving a talk about jobs. I told them I had a job and that maybe once a month I had a days claim due to a short week. But I refused to sign their PPP contract and the lady agreed that I did not have to sign it. Its a total waste of time.

blowin3 wrote: »
    Was at presentation today and there was person from the department giving a talk about jobs. I told them I had a job and that maybe once a month I had a days claim due to a short week. But I refused to sign their PPP contract and the lady agreed that I did not have to sign it. Its a total waste of time.
    Was it your first time there

Was it your first time there

No I have been before unfortunately. They do nothing just ask a list of questions and say good luck and give me another appointment.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,420 ✭✭✭splinter65

What's DA?

You won’t get “moved on”to DA. This is the problem with asking strangers on the internet.
    If the reason that you haven’t got a job is that you are too ill/injured/disabled to take up full time work then you can fill in a disability allowance application form.
    Your GP has to fill in his part, explaining your illness.
    If there is a reason you can’t find full time work such as you have childcare issues or you are caring for someone who is sick or you are sick yourself then you shouldn’t be on Jobseekers.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,389 ✭✭✭Airyfairy12

Is there anyway of getting out of Seetec? My employment adviser is awful, she makes me very uncomfortable and speaks to me like ive done something to her, the computers are set up in such a way that you feel youre being watched by the staff, its demoralizing and humiliating going into that place.
    Theyre not helping me to get a job, theyre not offering any help or assistance what so ever, they know nothing about courses or how to go about getting jobs. Its like youre forced to go in to search for work because they dont trust that youre looking for work by yourself.

It is soul destroying. Im genuinely looking for work, ive been working till the start Summer and now im trying to find something to get me through the Summer months, this is stressful enough without being made to feel like a scrounger, there are people out there who dont want to work and havnt worked in years and dont get selected for Seetec or Turas Nua.

I am really fed up to the point where my mental health is effected and ive started seeing a counselor. I cant keep this up.

I

ive been working till the start Summer and now im trying to find something to get me through the Summer months,

:confused:

Huh?

you stopped working at the start of the summer?

• Advertisement

you stopped working at the start of the summer?

Yes, thats what my post says..

sorry i misread it,

• Registered Users Posts: 28,765 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

Is there anyway of getting out of Seetec?

I am really fed up to the point where my mental health is effected and ive started seeing a counselor. I cant keep this up.

contact your health professionals, you maybe eligible for alternative welfare payments such as illness benefit or even disability allowance, both must be applied for in conjunction with your health professionals, particularly your doctor. successful application maybe enough to be removed from the jop path/seetec process. best of luck

Is there anyway of getting out of Seetec? My employment adviser is awful, she makes me very uncomfortable and speaks to me like ive done something to her, the computers are set up in such a way that you feel youre being watched by the staff, its demoralizing and humiliating going into that place.
    Theyre not helping me to get a job, theyre not offering any help or assistance what so ever, they know nothing about courses or how to go about getting jobs. Its like youre forced to go in to search for work because they dont trust that youre looking for work by yourself.

It is soul destroying. Im genuinely looking for work, ive been working till the start Summer and now im trying to find something to get me through the Summer months, this is stressful enough without being made to feel like a scrounger, there are people out there who dont want to work and havnt worked in years and dont get selected for Seetec or Turas Nua.

Keep your head up and dont let these fools beat you. They have no interest in you its their commission is all they after so DONT sign their precious PPP you are of no use to them as they get no money with out the contract. AS for feeling down you really need to talk to a professional and not a forum like this. We are all in the same boat but please talk to someone if you are not feeling well.

• Registered Users Posts: 933 ✭✭✭El_Bee

The worst aspect of dealing with the advisors is that they have zero background in recruitment, which is crazy since they're essentially a publicly funded recruitment agency. And they're so quick to threaten you with "not cooperating" if you question them at all, it's a mess :(

• Registered Users Posts: 8,663 ✭✭✭Worztron

I'm sure plenty of the folk in there are nice people but the likes of Seetac and Turas Nua would be ideal jobs for little hitlers who love to have power over others (kind of like how bouncers get off on their pathetic little power trips). The implied threat of payment cut/reduction is always there.

Mitch Hedberg: "Rice is great if you're really hungry and want to eat two thousand of something."

The worst aspect of dealing with the advisors is that they have zero background in recruitment, which is crazy since they're essentially a publicly funded recruitment agency. And they're so quick to threaten you with "not cooperating" if you question them at all, it's a mess :(

But like I said you are not obliged to sign a contract with a private company end of. If you dont sign cooperate with them go to meeting s whatever BUT they make no money out of you by not signing their PPP contract so you are basically no good to them.

They havnt got a clue, when I was at the computer I noticed that the front page of the Seetac website had a section where you could apply to work with them and noticed theyre hiring advisers, under the requirements it said that all you need to apply is a leaving cert and retail/customer service experience and experience reaching goals.
    Theyre hiring shop managers and retail workers, theyre not qualified to be working as recruitment advisers and some of them seem to have let the power go to their heads.
    When I gave her my cv she dumbed it down and cut it to one page, it looks like a cv from when I left secondary school, not a postgraduate cv with years of experience. Id be embarrassed to hand it in anywhere.
    blowin3 wrote: »
    But like I said you are not obliged to sign a contract with a private company end of. If you dont sign cooperate with them go to meeting s whatever BUT they make no money out of you by not signing their PPP contract so you are basically no good to them.

I unfortunately already signed it, I didn't know it was optional.

That's no problem. But anybody else reading this thread dont sign phone them before hand and confirm this. They will try and pressure you but keep saying I dont want to sign a contract with a private company. The Department will also confirm you dont have to sign. But you are obliged to go to meetings etc if you are claiming.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 945 ✭✭✭Always Tired

AiryFairy have you called the number to complain? I had an issue with an EA (it wasn't even my EA, but I showed up to a meeting the day after my fathers funeral only to find that my EA had quit, Seetec never bothered to contact any of her clients to tell them she wouldnt be there or make any arrangements, yet the other EA told me to sit at a computer and 'look for jobs' while she finished with another client and I just wasn't having it.)

After I complained the manager came to my next meeting, and my replacement EA never gave me any issues. Funny thing was, though, the manager looked at my CV and said she was surprised I was having trouble finding work and would make getting me a job her 'special project.'

Never heard from her again, did I? and was not referred to a single job in 12 months. I have now been sent back to it for another 12 months, despite having got a job for 6 months after finishing the first stint. The trouble is not me or my employability, it's location. If you look on jobs ie there are about 30 jobs listed in the entire Donegal county. I have no car so am limited to my inmediate town as public transport is a joke.

Anyway, the rumour is that Jobpath, at least in Donegal, is to be scrapped in December. I'm not surprised, if they can't get someone like me, mid 30s, with a degree and experience in various fields ANY kind of a job, what are they doing for other people?

Hopefully it will be scrapped nationwide. In fairness my new EA, while utterly useless, is nice and never puts any pressure on me.

I would make a complaint, request a new EA, and hopefully in 6 months this money wasting farce will be gone.

All 3 EAs I've had told me their last jobs were in retail.

Advertisement