Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Dairy Chitchat 3

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,240 ✭✭✭Gawddawggonnit

Id argue it's the copious amounts of poo in solid rather than liquid form giving the worms a bit of grub when there's not much grass residues to munch on you apply. Like anything if there's not grub there to feed on anything applied is a waste imo.

+1.

blackdog1 wrote: »
    75/25

Out of interest...
    Why that mix, and why mix them?

I presume that the wheat is from inter-farm trade and the maize is dry from merchants?

Back to bloodstock transport again this morning, then away for a week tomorrow...sure what else would you be at?
    Planting for ‘19 will start the week after next...a new harvest in focus usually makes for redoubling of efforts.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,130 ✭✭✭blackdog1

Yea. We used to do just wheat and then found when we added maize we got better results. I'm using a 3 at mix of barley, wheat, maize... So we'll see how it goes. Oh and it's down to cost really maize it's making 220-225, green wheat and barley will probably be 180/190.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,875 ✭✭✭kevthegaff

blackdog1 wrote: »
    Yea. We used to do just wheat and then found when we added maize we got better results. I'm using a 3 at mix of barley, wheat, maize... So we'll see how it goes. Oh and it's down to cost really maize it's making 220-225, green wheat and barley will probably be 180/190.
    Through the diet feeder?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,130 ✭✭✭blackdog1

kevthegaff wrote:
    Through the diet feeder?

Yea or you can use a bucket with an auger. When I first used it I used to bucket it into the parlour but that is pure hardship.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,141 ✭✭✭RightTurnClyde

I topped up the silage ground with 26 units of N on Thursday/Friday on the promise of rain last night.
    No rain just heavy mist. There's a cover of 2k on the silage ground, but it's starting to look stressed.
    Would the N be gone into the plant after 4 days. Thinking of doing a snatch and grab on the grass that's there, and try to take another light cut in 5 weeks.
    Or should I go with the 'grass grows grass' theory

• Registered Users Posts: 29,056 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

I topped up the silage ground with 26 units of N on Thursday/Friday on the promise of rain last night.
    No rain just heavy mist. There's a cover of 2k on the silage ground, but it's starting to look stressed.
    Would the N be gone into the plant after 4 days. Thinking of doing a snatch and grab on the grass that's there, and try to take another light cut in 5 weeks.

Mine was the same a few weeks ago. I cut it. I hadn't put fertiliser out recently on it though. It has grown really well since it was cut

• Registered Users Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭Dakota Dan

A top dairy farmer around here bought expensive bales of rushes for winter feed :eek: He's going to chop the rushes then put them through the diet feeder in winter. Either someone is telling porkies or else he's off his game.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,611 ✭✭✭Mooooo

Could you get a sample to lombardstown or somewhere to test it, local teagasc office maybe?

• Advertisement

Mooooo wrote: »
    Could you get a sample to lombardstown or somewhere to test it, local teagasc office maybe?

Would tume be aginst me. From when they get the sample how long does it take them to get a result.

Would tume be aginst me. From when they get the sample how long does it take them to get a result.

Afaik You should have results the same day, maybe best to give a ring in the morning. If you got that drizzly mist last night it may well have been enough to get it into the ground tho. Have ye had much dew at night?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,843 ✭✭✭mf240

It's hard to know. If you cut it now and try for another cut it will be nearly Oct. Which could go either way. If you leave it bulk up and cut in 2 or so weeks and maybe get some grazing. Its really hard to know what's best. I'm in the same boat with a bit of silage

Mooooo wrote: »
    Afaik You should have results the same day, maybe best to give a ring in the morning. If you got that drizzly mist last night it may well have been enough to get it into the ground tho. Have ye had much dew at night?

Feck all dew. The rain of last weekend and last Wednesday just came as a light 30 mins drizzle. Same case as last night.
    I'll ring in the morning and see can organise a test, and let that make the decision for me

• Registered Users Posts: 7,920 ✭✭✭freedominacup

With Glanbia 5 mins in store. Fresh sample.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,362 ✭✭✭✭Reggie.

mf240 wrote: »
    It's hard to know. If you cut it now and try for another cut it will be nearly Oct. Which could go either way. If you leave it bulk up and cut in 2 or so weeks and maybe get some grazing. Its really hard to know what's best. I'm in the same boat with a bit of silage

We are noticing here tgat grass thats cut is growing back better and quicker than the grass that's left to bulk up

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

With Glanbia 5 mins in store. Fresh sample.
    Local Teagasc office does it but has to be frozen overnight and left thaw the following morning before bringing it in? Results in a few minutes.

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭murrak123

What's the going rate for 2.5 hour relief milking. Will involve bringing in and out of cows, milking, wash down and setting up paddocks?

murrak123 wrote: »
    What's the going rate for 2.5 hour relief milking. Will involve bringing in and out of cows, milking, wash down and setting up paddocks?

Could be wrong but I think €40 an hour was thrown around a while back

• Registered Users Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭Injuryprone

50 per milking would be a fair price imo. That's assuming facilities are fairly good and you're not running around like a headless chicken for the 2.5 hours or horsing ration etc.

Reggie, I'll milk for you anytime. For 1400/week I'll sell up here

• Advertisement

50 per milking would be a fair price imo. That's assuming facilities are fairly good and you're not running around like a headless chicken for the 2.5 hours or horsing ration etc.

Like I said I could have been wrong but who gets relief milkers for every milking?

• Registered Users Posts: 29,056 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

I pay 45 per milking here, thats for 40 cows in the winter or 150 in the summer , 15 unit parlour. Most of the time one of us is here to bring in cows or close them in etc

• Registered Users Posts: 352 ✭✭Snowfire

Some lads could prove expensive even if they were willing to do it for free. €40-50/per milking generally depending on extras being asked to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,047 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

Reggie. wrote: »
    Like I said I could have been wrong but who gets relief milkers for every milking?

yea, I think there's someone on here paying €100/milking and more at weekends, economy is improving people mightn't be as stuck for money now, five years ago it was probably better than nothing

FRS charge a fixed fee for x amount of cows and so much extra per cow then. Think for 90 cows it comes to 55 or something once it doesn't go over 2.5 hours I think not sure on that now tho.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,922 ✭✭✭alps

The description of milking time can be pretty vague. I would describe it as from the time you arrive to the time that you leave..cluster on cluster off here in summer is 90mins, but we would describe as a 2 hour milking..no need to lock out cows as they always go in an upper gap..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭Injuryprone

Just a note on the FRS prices, AFAIK the FRS worker would be insured against letting antibiotics into the tank or forgetting to put the hose in the tank etc. So that would add a bit to the charge

• Registered Users Posts: 2,186 ✭✭✭carrollsno1

Just a note on the FRS prices, AFAIK the FRS worker would be insured against letting antibiotics into the tank or forgetting to put the hose in the tank etc. So that would add a bit to the charge

I heard that the operator has to have done the new FRS milking course if you want the claim to be successful. Whether thats true or not now i dont know.

Better living everyone

Most lads would have cover for part time workers and milk cover on their insurance policies anyway I assume?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,394 ✭✭✭✭Timmaay

Have had a student of some description in here the last 2 summers, and for the busy part of calving. 2 of us in the parlour while there is any sorta grief with heifers etc the spring, and in the summer I only doing about 5 or 6 milkings max a week myself. They get paid the best part of 17e/hr for milking, and 10e/hr for general labour, suits all parties well I think, the most of them only want part time work while still in school/college. High enough turnover rate I'll admit, but endless supply of them out there, I've never had a problem getting in someone.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement