Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Biochar and natural farming

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 557 ✭✭✭timfromtang

Hi all
    link below

https://www.eventbrite.ie/e/biochar-and-activated-carbon-conference-tickets-49037624856

event is free

thursday oct 25th

McWilliam Park Hotel
    Claremorris

tim

• Registered Users Posts: 1,412 ✭✭✭148multi

How could something that weighs a tonne have 3.7t in it? Are you talking co2 when burned?

My mistake, approximately 1 tonne of carbon in a tonne of turf, when burned releasing approximately 3.7 tonnes of co2.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,047 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

I think the film "Dirt Rich" is only available to view online till the 12th Oct.

It will cost so apologies.

Link below.
    http://www.dirtrichthemovie.com/

I think it's no harm to say on here that I had an enjoyable day at Timfromtang's place yesterday.
    It was nice to finally pick the brains of a charcoal maker and see in the flesh how it's made from a professional.
    Thanks again for the sack of charcoal it's definitely going to be put to Biochar use.

So cheers for the invite and thanks again Tim. :)

(More on the this sack of charcoal will follow)...

• Registered Users Posts: 10,681 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

Would you not just set a few indigenous trees around the field edges. No extra work then . Just let nature work the composter for you. Dead leaves every autumn decaying into the ground, like nature intended.

'The Bishops blessed the Blueshirts in Galway, As they sailed beneath the Swastika to Spain'

• Advertisement

Would you not just set a few indigenous trees around the field edges. No extra work then . Just let nature work the composter for you. Dead leaves every autumn decaying into the ground, like nature intended.

I kind of had this conversation with Tim yesterday.
    I'd be only for the tree species that when the leaves fall or wood rots that it has a beneficial effect on grass. That if one wanted to be full sure of a positive effect that only those species should be used.
    He's kind of on the same wavelength as me on that and he uses hardwoods that should have a good effect.

The trouble with what you're saying Patsy is that unless you start planting rows of trees like agroforestry there'll be no benefits for the middle of the fields.
    Plus composting or using leaf fall needs to repeated annually.
    Biochar hopefully if done right only needs to be applied the once and the effects should be permanent.

You don't have to compost any leaves. Nature will do that for you. I see it myself here every spring. A lush growth of grass around the field edges. As for getting the benefit into the middle of the field. The cows will graze this grass and dung all over the field.
    I'd be slow to spend any of my hard earned cash on something unproven by Teagasc and the likes.

'The Bishops blessed the Blueshirts in Galway, As they sailed beneath the Swastika to Spain'

You don't have to compost any leaves. Nature will do that for you. I see it myself here every spring. A lush growth of grass around the field edges. As for getting the benefit into the middle of the field. The cows will graze this grass and dung all over the field.
    I'd be slow to spend any of my hard earned cash on something unproven by Teagasc and the likes.
    That's your problem right there.

It's proven all over the world already Patsy.
    As for the cash, as the charcoal maker says all you need to do is dig a pit.

If everybody obeyed teagasc Patsy we'd never have multi species cover crops sown in this country and still be spraying the stubbles with roundup. Even still the old timers and including teagasc are saying it's the land not the tillage farmers who sowed the crops who changed the soil.

Phuck teagasc. They only do what they're told to do and not beyond.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,474 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

This is where it's sketchy.

A lot depends on the raw material type before it's "cooked in the oven".

I've read trials done where they recommended 20t per acre down to incorporating with a conventional fertilizer into a granular form like your bag fertilizer and sowing it down the chute with the seed of a crop and just miniscule amounts used.

Then you've other trials where they incorporate with animal feed and usually the rate is 1% of that animals daily diet.
    The animals come along and spread the Biochar in their droppings on the fields or farmer spreads the slurry/dung from the tanks themselves. The big plus in that is a supposedly improvement in animal health , reduction in methane and reduction in nitrogeous oxide emissions by that animal.

There's no hard and fast answer to the question really.
    In potted plants a 5% biochar inclusion in the soil seems best.

How many tonnes of timber to get 20t of biochar for spreading ??
    To me it doesn’t sound sustainable to grow that much wood to burn.

• Advertisement

_Brian wrote: »
    How many tonnes of timber to get 20t of biochar for spreading ??
    To me it doesn’t sound sustainable to grow that much wood to burn.

You can actually use fym or separated slurry solids and pyrolise that into biochar.
    The benefit that any timber could have is that it could be used as a bedding material replacing straw/peat and let's face it there'll be no drier material on earth. Timber biochar has to be mixed with dung and microbes anyways before use or it could be used in ruminant animal feed and it'll mix with dung that way while reducing nitrate and methane emissions from that animal. It also should be a very good supplement to prevent calves getting coccsidiosis infections.

I'm not qualified to answer the how much timber it takes to make a m3 or ton or whatever of char.
    The main benefit of pyrolyses of any carbon source is that that carbon has now been taken permanently out of the air and is not in the natural carbon cycle anymore. The only way to return that carbon to the atmosphere is to go and burn that char to an ash and it'll go up in smoke as carbon dioxide then. It won't rot as a char.

And the cost? :D

And the cost? :D

Billions of Euro.

To the farmer.

It's a failure straight off, if it's not cost effective.

It’s odd, it comes across as a sort of vegan suggestion to growing enough food for everyone, only it costs the earth to produce and so it’s a zero sum game in the end.

Benefits.

Fertilizer for life on a field.
    Reduction in methane and nitrous oxide emissions in cows.
    Reduction in methane and nitrous oxide emissions from soil.
    Improved animal health. No high blood urea and better digestion.
    No smell from cattle slurry when mixed beforehand.
    No smell ammonia in poultry houses when used as bedding.
    Reduction in carbon in the atmosphere when implemented.

The planet is saved.
    The end.

It’s odd, it comes across as a sort of vegan suggestion to growing enough food for everyone, only it costs the earth to produce and so it’s a zero sum game in the end.

Very negative here tonight.

Search Biochar on Twitter to cheer yourself up.

I watched some videos of lads making biochar online, they were using 40 gallon barrels stuffed with timber and getting maybe 2 gallons of biochar which looked like it weighed maybe 10kg tops.
    Scale that up and it’s frightening the amount of standing trees that need to be cut to make 20tones of the stuff. Oh and it’s not that any old wood is ok, good biochar only comes from burning hardwoods.

So, I’d worry about the sustainability of production. Also claims like it lasts “virtually forever” have a hint of snake oil about them.

From an environmental perspective I’d rather see the trees standing and managed to both improve the environment and provide a top class amenity for people.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,927 ✭✭✭yosemitesam1

I watched some videos of lads making biochar online, they were using 40 gallon barrels stuffed with timber and getting maybe 2 gallons of biochar which looked like it weighed maybe 10kg tops.
    Scale that up and it’s frightening the amount of standing trees that need to be cut to make 20tones of the stuff. Oh and it’s not that any old wood is ok, good biochar only comes from burning hardwoods.

So, I’d worry about the sustainability of production. Also claims like it lasts “virtually forever” have a hint of snake oil about them.

From an environmental perspective I’d rather see the trees standing and managed to both improve the environment and provide a top class amenity for people.
    It definitely doesn't last anywhere near forever. Soil microbes can and do breakdown charcoal. In the soils where regular fires have been producing charcoal for thousands of years there is very little charcoal that has persisted that long.
    Would be wary of trace elements being locked up too, it's not recommended for people to take charcoal except for if they took in poison or heavy metals because of that.

Also all the fumes from the pyrolisation if not captured aren't going to be very good for the environment and how much of any benefit would they cancel out

I don't think you're getting the environmental reason for it.

In the tree's natural life cycle it takes in carbon dioxide and converts it into actual physical carbon. When the tree comes to the end of it's life cycle and falls and rots, all that physical carbon rots breaks down and becomes methane and carbon dioxide back into the atmosphere.
    By turning that tree into char you've now taken that carbon completely out of the natural cycle and atmosphere for good.
    Unless of course that char is ever burned again.

I can't see how charring is seen as voodoo to understand. Window installers used to regularly char timber windows with a blow torch to prevent rot. Even our ancestors used to char the ends of timber posts for houses for same principle and those same post holes are still found today by a ring of char in the soil.

Keep looking for a negative. I doubt you'll find it.

• Advertisement

I don't think you're getting the environmental reason for it.

In the tree's natural life cycle it takes in carbon dioxide and converts it into actual physical carbon. When the tree comes to the end of it's life cycle and falls and rots, all that physical carbon rots breaks down and becomes methane and carbon dioxide back into the atmosphere.
    By turning that tree into char you've now taken that carbon completely out of the natural cycle and atmosphere for good.
    Unless of course that char is ever burned again.

I can't see how charring is seen as voodoo to understand. Window installers used to regularly char timber windows with a blow torch to prevent rot. Even our ancestors used to char the ends of timber posts for houses for same principle and those same post holes are still found today by a ring of char in the soil.

Keep looking for a negative. I doubt you'll find it.

I’m not saying there isn’t a principle behind what people are saying and the notion of locking carbon down.
    But it’s not a case of tue end justifies the means, I’ve not seen anywhere that the volume of trees needed to supply its production is anywhere close to sustainable, you certainly don’t have an answer on that yourself. So your blindly believing YouTube clips etc without trying to frame any practical implementation. That’s the difference between realists and dreamers like vegans, while the principle of something might seem good it doesn’t mean it’s practical to implement, indeed, just because you believe something is good doesn’t mean it’s either true or good.

I would still see the management of forests of living native forests as a better option that slashing down all the quality timber on the country to create biochar.

There’s long term evidence that the planet survived and thrived with large tracts if natural native forests, returning to that seems a natural move, rather than a process that burns them down.

We see countries with larger retained natural native forests have more native wild animal species and better biodiversity than ourselves, I doubt burning down these habitats would improve things for them.

According to Google. Kiln dry timber yields 20% charcoal. So 1m3 of spruce would give 90-100kg of charcoal. 200m3 of timber per acre across say 5 million acres is 1 billion m3 and total Irish timber production ATM is 3.5million m3

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,034 Mod ✭✭✭✭K.G.

According to Google. Kiln dry timber yields 20% charcoal. So 1m3 of spruce would give 90-100kg of charcoal. 200m3 of timber per acre across say 5 million acres is 1 billion m3 and total Irish timber production ATM is 3.5million m3

sums the whole thing up,probaly works fine but not feasible

K.G. wrote: »
    sums the whole thing up,probaly works fine but not feasible

I found an Irish supplier, €2400/tonne.
    Application rates seem to vary but it’s tons per acre they are talking about.

So to sum up.

1, it’s great for land, no doubt there is some benefits but not all studies agree.
    2. We will probably need to chop down all our trees to have any meaningful quantity available.
    3. Applying will cost you tens of thousands per acre.
    4. If it’s not produced in a system that filters the exhausted gasses then your releasing co2 and other toxins as you create it.
    5. The best long term example is that of people chopping down the rainforest to create land, somehow this doesn’t paint a positive image to me, we’re loosing more than we gain by this type of practice.

I seem to be the only here 'that gets it'.

And that's from scientific papers Brian not YouTube.

On the cost that's a red herring if the poorest farmers in the world can use it why can't the richest? Or why won't they?

Ask yourselves a question though would you like to see your land nutrients leached into your waterways or not.
    And that's just one of the many benefits that have been proven by this.

As wrangler says if you're explaining you're loosing.

There's a wealth of information on the web. There's also a seminar coming up in Mayo.

Ask yourselves a question though would you like to see your land nutrients leached into your waterways or not.

There's a wealth of information on the web. There's also a seminar coming up in Mayo.
    How can it work in practice. For mass adoption even at low to moderate rates it takes massive resources. Hard to see how 1t could come in below €500 even with large-scale efficient setups.

Read a sand county almanac, "A thing is right when it tends to preserve the integrity, stability and beauty of the biotic community. It is wrong when it tends otherwise".

But you still haven't answered the most basic question of all - How Much does it cost?

How much to treat one acre of land?
    How many m3 of timber would that require, per acre?

It's a bit like spreading slurry. Slurry works as a fertiliser, but to transport it long distances doesn't make it feasible.

Nobody is disputing that Biochar works. It's whether it is feasible or not?

But you still haven't answered the most basic question of all - How Much does it cost?

How much to treat one acre of land?
    How many m3 of timber would that require, per acre?

It's a bit like spreading slurry. Slurry works as a fertiliser, but to transport it long distances doesn't make it feasible.

I haven't got all the answers Patsy so I don't know what you're expecting of me.
    I started this thread to hopefully get answers myself.

How much does it cost to cut a tree down, dig a pit, make charcoal? I couldn't tell ya.
    In the developing countries they use their ag waste, straw, etc.

On the cost that's a red herring if the poorest farmers in the world can use it why can't the richest? Or why won't they?

It’s hard to see that you “get it”, your not able to explain exactly what your getting ?

I think your in love with the notion of it, but you also seem blind to the potential problems regarding how feasible it’s use is.

It’s like vegans saying we should give up farming animals and go back to growing our own veg like our ancestors did, while they ignore the fact that until they used manure from farmed animals our ancestors were barely surviving on what they grew and relied on animals they hunted and killed.

• Advertisement

Don't feel like we're ganging up on you Say My Name. We're not. We're just trying to tease things out with out. ;)

Advertisement