Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Phone use in States

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,457 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Berty wrote: »
    Well the person who asked the question a few posts back which we're answering currently asked about her daughter heading to Germany for a few days.

True, but I clarified your answer in case it confused other people based on the thread title.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,693 ✭✭✭wiz569

If it was me I'd be moving to Meteor on a Sim Only Plan on a 30day contract, €25 a month for 6 months(you can leave after 30 days) and you get 15GB Data here(plenty) along with Unlimited Calls/Texts and when you roam you get to use all your calls and texts like normal and they give you 1GB of Data which is plenty for a few days so long as you're not streaming video and using Youtube.

It was fine for me for a week in France just using Facebook, e-mails, boards.ie and updating the news apps.

Cheers m8 but it only costs her a tenner a month on 48months at the moment and it does her fine,obviously not in this instance but she doesnt go abroad that often.
    bk wrote: »
    Note, 1GB only for roaming in Europe, not roaming in the US (as per the thread title!)

Also the Lyca deal is much better value for money, just €7.50 per month, averaged over two months. Only downside being 3G rather then 4G. But if you are coming from 48months anyway, that is the same.

Lyca seems to be the way alright or the 12GB 3UK and use the data for whatapp calls and texts.

Sorry if I dragged the thread offline guys :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,428 ✭✭✭wolfyboy555

Gone for the mymemory 12GB card. Paid €30 using Revolut. Going on a two week road trip in June so Google Maps will come in handy.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭pm1977x

Bought the 12GB Three sim linked earlier, popped it in but no data - is this because I'm in Ireland?

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,457 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

pm1977x wrote: »
    Bought the 12GB Three sim linked earlier, popped it in but no data - is this because I'm in Ireland?

Did you turn on data roaming in the settings in your phone?

And is your phone unlocked?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,149 ✭✭✭✭Berty

Did you go to three.co.uk and register the phone number that came with the Sim? If you don't the account won't be activated and your 12 months won't start ticking.

bk wrote: »
    Did you turn on data roaming in the settings in your phone?

And is your phone unlocked?

Yes, but only briefly.

Phone is unlocked.

Did you go to three.co.uk and register the phone number that came with the Sim? If you don't the account won't be activated and your 12 months won't start ticking.

I did that too, but there were all sorts of errors on the website - got a text to the phone, verified my email etc...

Will try it again later with roaming on for longer.

I registered it whilst the SIM was in the phone and it took some time to get the text but did work. It had a little R over data when i had it on which i guess means Roaming.

Think it may have taken about 20mins for the data to become active. I remember looking at the website and it said, for a while, i had a top up card and needed to top up and after a while it said 12gb and ticking.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,290 ✭✭✭dunworth1

i'm heading to canada for a week and then the states for a week can anyone recommend an option which would work for both?

data is the most important

• Advertisement

I registered it whilst the SIM was in the phone and it took some time to get the text but did work. It had a little R over data when i had it on which i guess means Roaming.

Think it may have taken about 20mins for the data to become active. I remember looking at the website and it said, for a while, i had a top up card and needed to top up and after a while it said 12gb and ticking.

Thanks, think I should have given it longer before taking it out - my allowance had an 'error - unavailable' message for a while on the website but I put the sim back in and after a few minutes I was connecting to the internet and now my allowance is showing correctly. Only getting H or H+ for now but at least it's working.

Thanks for all the help and replies!

dunworth1 wrote: »
    i'm heading to canada for a week and then the states for a week can anyone recommend an option which would work for both?

data is the most important

US, yes, Canada no unfortunately.

http://www.three.co.uk/Discover/Phones/Feel_At_Home

• Registered Users Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭Duff

Just quickly scanned the thread, but basically is all I need for 12GB of data in the states this? https://www.mymemory.co.uk/3-payg-4g...12gb-data.html

My phone is unlocked, so is it just pop in that sim before I go, register it and then I'm good to go when I get over to the States and it'll be the same 'At home' rate? I don't have to get an add-on or anything?

Cheers.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,511 ✭✭✭digitaldr

Worked that way for me in Maine a few months ago. Speeds not the best especially out in the sticks but always good enough for Google maps.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,759 ✭✭✭Ah-Watch

Apple used to have AT&T PAYG sim cards for sale that came with half price plan for the first month. You could get Unlimited US calling, international texting and 6GB of data for $30 (normally $60). I know the PAYG plans have changed since I was working in US but may be worth looking into as AT&T would have good service across the country where TMobile can be pretty spotty outside of the big cities

• Registered Users Posts: 1,355 ✭✭✭Thephantomsmask

AT&T is what I use, that plan with 6gb data is now $45 pm and it is possible to go 5 months between top ups without having the phone number disconnected. I top up before I leave by buying an email delivery top up from Walmart as the at & T website doesn't seem to like international cards.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,453 ✭✭✭sioda

Using this in Orlando at the moment should I be getting 4g as only getting 3g.

Using a op3

It is really handy for maps and uber

4g i assume. I'm getting 4G in Ireland so assume everywhere should be as well.

Check to see in settings if 4G is active on your phone because for that SIM it may be off meaning you only get 3G.

Like you, I'll be using it mostly for maps and uber and then Facebook for making free calls home.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,575 ✭✭✭✭Riesen_Meal

sioda wrote: »
    Using this in Orlando at the moment should I be getting 4g as only getting 3g.

Using a op3

It is really handy for maps and uber

Not sure if the EU OP3 has the US bands for 4G

• Registered Users Posts: 1,582 ✭✭✭DesperateDan

Stupid question time: how does one attain a UK sim from 3 over here? Parcel Motel?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,355 ✭✭✭Thephantomsmask

Fieldog is correct, the EU OP3 doesn't have the correct 4G bands for the states unfortunately. I find the 3G to be pretty good though.

Stupid question time: how does one attain a UK sim from 3 over here? Parcel Motel?

You can order directly to Ireland from here:

https://www.7dayshop.com/products/new-3-payg-4g-trio-data-sim-pack-preloaded-with-12gb-of-data-three-sizes-35203

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭mar2000

I ordered mine and got it sent via parcel motel last year. Address Pal from An Post is a good service too. I ordered another free sim for someone else last week and got it sent to a relatives address in the UK.

I can recommend the 3UK sim. It worked great for me in the States last year and it was great not having to worry about Data roaming charges.

• Registered Users Posts: 33 treble1999

No need to use Parcel Motel etc if you order from mymemory. They deliver direct to Ireland. Usually takes 3-4 days

treble1999 wrote: »
    No need to use Parcel Motel etc if you order from mymemory. They deliver direct to Ireland. Usually takes 3-4 days

Exactly. Mine came form The Netherlands anyway.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 9,604 Mod ✭✭✭✭mayordenis

Is the only reason to not get the sim with data, calls and texts that it is only for 30 days as opposed to 12 months? Because I'm going to the states for 3 weeks and it would suit me to have the calls and texts if possible, but if there's another reason then I'll just get the 12gb data one.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,693 ✭✭✭wiz569

mayordenis wrote: »
    Is the only reason to not get the sim with data, calls and texts that it is only for 30 days as opposed to 12 months? Because I'm going to the states for 3 weeks and it would suit me to have the calls and texts if possible, but if there's another reason then I'll just get the 12gb data one.

Calls and texts are for the UK only I think.

mayordenis wrote: »

As wiz569 points out the calls and texts are to the UK only and they give you a UK number. So mostly not much use to people from Ireland.

You can still use it if you prefer. But I think 12GB for 12 months is better value as you potentially use it on a few trips.

I've used mine on two trips to the US already and a trip up to Northern Ireland, just in the last 6 months. Oh and I forgot about a few hours stop over in Paris!

Though it might become less necessary for EU travel come the 15th of June when the new EU roaming rules come in.

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭Daniel112

Thanks everyone Just ordered the 3 UK 12GB deal from here: https://www.mymemory.co.uk/3-payg-4g-trio-data-sim-pack-incl-12gb-data.html
    for my upcoming trip to the states. Saved 5% by using discount code BOXV5 so the total came to €30.55 through paypal checkout. Just FYI if you have a OnePlus phone (European Variant) like I do (I have the Oneplus Two) then the 4G WON'T work in the states due to the frequency band they use being unsupported on a lot (if not most) of our phones. The 3G is decent enough though and like others have said will work fine for Maps etc. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81,115 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

:D remind me to read the previous post at least.

Spotted on HUKD if you use code BOXV5 you get 5% off it...

https://www.mymemory.co.uk/3-payg-4g-trio-data-sim-pack-incl-12gb-data.html?source=Webgains

Advertisement