Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

My autonomous lawn mower thread/blog

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 414 ✭✭dec2000

Hi All,

I’m currently looking into the Husqvarna 430x. Originally I was looking for a ride-on but two sellers have been pushing the automowers and pretty much saying what everyone on this thread has said – it’s easier, no storage issues, no grass clippings etc.

I’m still hesitant….Is everyone who bought one still happy with their purchases? Any major issues, other than those mentioned on the thread? If I peg the boundary wire, is it relatively easy to pull up when we get to the stage of wanting to put the kerbing in place?

Thanks for any help you guys can provide.

Dec

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭NurseBridie

I don't have mine long but I can't see me ever being without Romow. Reckon it should be easy to rewire.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,066 ✭✭✭✭KCross

dec2000 wrote: »
    Hi All,

I’m currently looking into the Husqvarna 430x. Originally I was looking for a ride-on but two sellers have been pushing the automowers and pretty much saying what everyone on this thread has said – it’s easier, no storage issues, no grass clippings etc.

I’m still hesitant….Is everyone who bought one still happy with their purchases? Any major issues, other than those mentioned on the thread? If I peg the boundary wire, is it relatively easy to pull up when we get to the stage of wanting to put the kerbing in place?

Thanks for any help you guys can provide.

Dec

Rewiring is a pain but not that difficult. I had to rewire 2 pieces where I extended footpaths. I was able to do it without having to cut the wire so that made it easier.

If its a new site/lawn and you plan to do alot of work on the lawn/boundary each year with new shrubs/beds etc it could be annoying to have to rewire. It depends really on how much of a change it is and whether you have to pull all the wire up or you plan to cut the wire and add joiners.

But once its in and running its as easy as it gets!

KCross wrote: »
    Rewiring is a pain but not that difficult. I had to rewire 2 pieces where I extended footpaths. I was able to do it without having to cut the wire so that made it easier.

If its a new site/lawn and you plan to do alot of work on the lawn/boundary each year with new shrubs/beds etc it could be annoying to have to rewire. It depends really on how much of a change it is and whether you have to pull all the wire up or you plan to cut the wire and add joiners.

But once its in and running its as easy as it gets!

Its a new site - we've some trees / shrubs planted but assume it will change over time. The biggest piece is the kerbing and was worried they'd break the wire in multiple places putting that in - but if we can move it and then back again - seems to solve that issue.

What kind of price should the dealers be able to knock off? I'm looking online and find the 430x + install kit for €2600. The best I can get a dealer is €3100 and they will throw the kit in. am going to see if they can compete with the online price.

Its a new site - we've some trees / shrubs planted but assume it will change over time. The biggest piece is the kerbing and was worried they'd break the wire in multiple places putting that in - but if we can move it and then back again - seems to solve that issue.

What kind of price should the dealers be able to knock off? I'm looking online and find the 430x + install kit for €2600. The best I can get a dealer is €3100 and they will throw the kit in. am going to see if they can compete with the online price.

Whats the "kit"? It already comes with everything you need unless you have a large lawn in which case you might need to order extra cable and pegs (which are overpriced so get them in the deal otherwise you will pay through the nose for them).

I have the 330x which seems the same as the 430x just the older model. I think I paid about €2500 or thereabouts. €3100 seems high to me unless the 430x has something extra.

• Advertisement

Whats the "kit"? It already comes with everything you need unless you have a large lawn in which case you might need to order extra cable and pegs (which are overpriced so get them in the deal otherwise you will pay through the nose for them).

I have the 330x which seems the same as the 430x just the older model. I think I paid about €2500 or thereabouts. €3100 seems high to me unless the 430x has something extra.

Unfortunately Husqvarna no longer supply the kit (pegs, cable, joiners) as part of the mower and has to be bought separately. Trying to get people interested and then hitting them with the extras.

The 3100 is the RRP with the large kit costing 289 more. I don't think I'll get better than the online price but will see if they can match it.

Thanks for the replies....

Two questions:-
    1) Can you put the wire under coblelocking or brick paving, I have very smooth brick path that the mower will have to travel over, can I put the wire under the brick?
    2) Someone mentioned changing blades, do you have to change blades often. The Husqvarna website mentions nothing about changing blades. Is it hard to do and are they expensive?

NurseBridie
    From one of your later posts it seems you took the plunge and installed an automower.

How did you get on with the paving? Did you cut into the paving or put it under it and how deep is the wire. Im interested to know.

thanks
    KCross

Just lifted the brick and placed the wire and put the brick back on top. It enabled me to link the front and the back as well as going across a path in my back lawn. The bricks are the block paving from Tobermore

• Registered Users Posts: 29 James Doyle123

Hi all looking for a bit of advice on robot mowers.

I'm looking at a husqvarna 420 which will cover my area. But We're torn between a good old fashion ride on and this is the model I have in mind husqvarna tc138. I'm all for the robot cause I'm the one who has to drive the ride on but my wife is very hesitant about the robot , she has some concerns.

One how safe is it, she's worried about our2yr daughter or even younger children been able to been hit by the robot or they some how lifting the machine.

She was wondering once the system has been working for a few months does a lot of grass be left on the lawn after mowing. We understand it only cuts a small amount each time does this tend to lay on the surface of the grass or does it drop to the soil.

Has anyone had any issues with it been robbed, a lot of money for some thing so small, and mostl thieves wont know they need more than the mower for it to work. Can it be cover ed under house insurance.

What are the yearly running cost. New blade costs and any other maintenance costs. Does it require a yearly service or is a regular clean all it require.

Any owners regret there purchase or have issues with their mower.

Thanks for reading my long post but as you under its a big purchase on something totally new to us.

I'll speak for the Husqvarna. Others can comment on the Robomow but the answers should be much the same.
    One how safe is it, she's worried about our2yr daughter or even younger children been able to been hit by the robot or they some how lifting the machine.

Quite safe. The blades are well inside the outer housing so if you put your hand under it and lift it you wont get cut. As soon as you lift it it senses that and stops the blades.

If the mower "hits" a child it will just stop and turn around. "hit" isnt the right word... its more of a bump than a hit. It doesnt travel fast.

You also setup the mower to run at specific times so you can program it to only cut when the kids dont use the lawn.

We have small kids around ours and there are no issues. I cant say its 100% safe but it would be hard for someone to be hurt by it.

She was wondering once the system has been working for a few months does a lot of grass be left on the lawn after mowing. We understand it only cuts a small amount each time does this tend to lay on the surface of the grass or does it drop to the soil.

Drops to the soil and withers away which is good for the health of the lawn. Think of it as buying a mulcher for your ride-on, its the same thing.

Has anyone had any issues with it been robbed, a lot of money for some thing so small, and mostl thieves wont know they need more than the mower for it to work. Can it be cover ed under house insurance.

Havent heard of them being robbed. There is an alarm on it once you lift it and the newer ones have GPS tracking so if they rob it you should be able to see where it is. I dont think house insurance will cover it since its not locked away and not in the house.
    What are the yearly running cost. New blade costs and any other maintenance costs. Does it require a yearly service or is a regular clean all it require.

Running costs are replacement blades (~€20/yr) and the electricity. The electricity is dependent on how big your lawn is and what mower you buy etc but its small... maybe €25-€75 for the year. Small enough you wont notice it.

There isnt a yearly service required as far as I know. You can take it in to get the software updated on it. I dont know what they charge for that but its not required.

• Advertisement

I'll speak for the Husqvarna. Others can comment on the Robomow but the answers should be much the same.

Quite safe. The blades are well inside the outer housing so if you put your hand under it and lift it you wont get cut. As soon as you lift it it senses that and stops the blades.

If the mower "hits" a child it will just stop and turn around. "hit" isnt the right word... its more of a bump than a hit. It doesnt travel fast.

You also setup the mower to run at specific times so you can program it to only cut when the kids dont use the lawn.

We have small kids around ours and there are no issues. I cant say its 100% safe but it would be hard for someone to be hurt by it.

Drops to the soil and withers away which is good for the health of the lawn. Think of it as buying a mulcher for your ride-on, its the same thing.

Havent heard of them being robbed. There is an alarm on it once you lift it and the newer ones have GPS tracking so if they rob it you should be able to see where it is. I dont think house insurance will cover it since its not locked away and not in the house.

Running costs are replacement blades (~€20/yr) and the electricity. The electricity is dependent on how big your lawn is and what mower you buy etc but its small... maybe €25-€75 for the year. Small enough you wont notice it.

There isnt a yearly service required as far as I know. You can take it in to get the software updated on it. I dont know what they charge for that but its not required.

Hi thanks for your reply.

I'm still torn between a ride on and robot. I have a few things on the lawn a swing set a slide and a treatment plant perculation area. The husi agent is unsure this morning he said a ride on might be a better option with the things on the lawn.
    The robot is cheaper and will require less storage space that mower but you don't get a lot for your 2500 while the mower is more but it's a Major piece of kit.

Kcross if your robot mower broke in the morning would you get another as your so happy with it or would you take the chance to get something different

Thanks

I have the same things on my lawn... percolation area and sewage tank manhole covers, slide, swing, trampoline, sandpit.

If the item is fixed, like the manhole covers, you put the boundary wire around it and the mower will stay away from it then. If its something that you move around like a childs slide then thats fine too... the mower will hit it and move away.

The tricky things are the small items like small toys that are left on the lawn. Not much you can do about them other than clean up if you know the mower is going out. The mower doesnt tend to do much damage to any plastic type things it hits as the blades swing in when it hits something solid and it just drives on over it.

You should try to get a look at one in action and then you will have a better feel for whether its for you or not.

I'd still buy the same. Before I got it it used take over 1.5hrs to cut the lawn with the big ride-on mower. Thats alot of wasted time. Its not even exercise since its a ride-on so the robot is the way to go and you are not dependent on weather being good on your day off to cut the lawn. Its always cut.

I have the same things on my lawn... percolation area and sewage tank manhole covers, slide, swing, trampoline, sandpit.

If the item is fixed, like the manhole covers, you put the boundary wire around it and the mower will stay away from it then. If its something that you move around like a childs slide then thats fine too... the mower will hit it and move away.

The tricky things are the small items like small toys that are left on the lawn. Not much you can do about them other than clean up if you know the mower is going out. The mower doesnt tend to do much damage to any plastic type things it hits as the blades swing in when it hits something solid and it just drives on over it.

You should try to get a look at one in action and then you will have a better feel for whether its for you or not.

I'd still buy the same. Before I got it it used take over 1.5hrs to cut the lawn with the big ride-on mower. Thats alot of wasted time. Its not even exercise since its a ride-on so the robot is the way to go and you are not dependent on weather being good on your day off to cut the lawn. Its always cut.

I may show herself this. I totally agree about the wasted time mine is about 2hrs on a good day and then my time is limited as I work 6 days. I'm never able to mow when it needs to be done and then it takes longer to cut when I can cut.

Id love to see one in action but don't know of anyone who has one.

Surely the dealer can put you in contact with people they have sold to?

Surely the dealer can put you in contact with people they have sold to?

I didn't like asking him to provide me with customers numbers I know I wouldn't like people calling to my house. But I did ask and he has a fitter of the mower and he has no problem showing off the mower to anyone . So waiting for him to call back and arrange time and date.

I'm still fighting a battle with the wife as shes not sure but hopefully the demo with change her mind

I didn't like asking him to provide me with customers numbers I know I wouldn't like people calling to my house. But I did ask and he has a fitter of the mower and he has no problem showing off the mower to anyone . So waiting for him to call back and arrange time and date.

I'm still fighting a battle with the wife as shes not sure but hopefully the demo with change her mind

I've been to two dealers in the Meath area and both have them installed - the 330x. They've both offered to show it to me in their house. Planning to do that this weekend. I can PM the names if it's any way convenient for you?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,474 ✭✭✭✭guil

Lads I entered a husqvarna competition for a automower and got an email from them today with a voucher for €150 off any automower. If anyone wants it pm me.

I may show herself this. I totally agree about the wasted time mine is about 2hrs on a good day and then my time is limited as I work 6 days. I'm never able to mow when it needs to be done and then it takes longer to cut when I can cut.

Id love to see one in action but don't know of anyone who has one.

I'd have no problem showing my mower in action and actually got my dealer to contact one of his customers so I could see how the wire was laid.
    I don't have my mower long but it has become like the washing machine, an item I could not live without.
    I can't see it being a danger to children and it's good for the grass not to leave items lying on it for long. In my opinion a ride-on is more dangerous as when children grow up they want to use it and may do so on the quiet. I've had all grass cutting machines, ride-ones (don't leave it in a paddock with pups or you'll have no wires left), tractors with cutting bars on the back, key start movers and in my opinion the robot mower is safest around children.

The skeptics in my house now just love my mower and probably would be very happy if something would happen to it because I think they would like it to be replaced with a larger model so it will cut their acre.

Does your dealer not use a robot mower, perhaps you should find one that does. I got mine from Tom Dorran in greenfeet.ie I know I could have gone to his place to check out the mower but he was a little bit away and I was able to go to another customer closer to check things out.

• Registered Users Posts: 26 ThrillCosby

first cut of the year today!

So made to jump and now own a Husqvarna 430x - bought online, including the kit etc, it came to €2,600. About €500 cheaper than the best price i could get in a dealer here.

I managed to get the perimiter cable installed over the weekend but ran out of cable (400m) to run the 2 guide wires. I remember reading somewhere about a cheaper cable that could be bought in an electrical wholesaler but can't find it now - does anyone know what it is / rough price?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 421 ✭✭zetor 4911

So made to jump and now own a Husqvarna 430x - bought online, including the kit etc, it came to €2,600. About €500 cheaper than the best price i could get in a dealer here.

I managed to get the perimiter cable installed over the weekend but ran out of cable (400m) to run the 2 guide wires. I remember reading somewhere about a cheaper cable that could be bought in an electrical wholesaler but can't find it now - does anyone know what it is / rough price?

Hi
    Where on line did you buy it? Does it need to be serviced and if so where can you go to get it serviced if you buy it on line?

zetor 4911 wrote: »
    Hi
    Where on line did you buy it? Does it need to be serviced and if so where can you go to get it serviced if you buy it on line?

I got it from myrobotcentre, very little maintenance - blade changes which you do yourself and are inexpensive and possible batter replacements. Just need to keep it clean.

For warranty / service updates etc, you do have to bring it to a Husqvarna dealer but any of the authorised ones are representing Husqvarna so should handle any issues - as a fall back - myrobotcentre will handle it if there are problems.

Not had it going for any long period of time yet as it's getting stuck in one area because of the missing guide wire - I remember reading somewhere about a cheaper cable that could be bought and thought it was this thread but can't find it..

• Registered Users Posts: 10,474 ✭✭✭✭guil

Last July there was a few posts saying any electrical wire will do. It's page 6 on the touch site. Repelho said the dealer told him that

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Tubber Man

Hi Guys, Thanks to Prospect for starting this blog; great info.
    I would just like to check if any one used the installation offer from the supplier.
    If not, what kind of things do I need to watch for before the first run .
    I'm hoping to buy in the next few weeks. I have about 3000sq mtrs including
    two seperate lawns including trying to cross a tarmacadem drive with concrete edges.
    I'm looking at the 430. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Cheers.

Tubber Man wrote: »
    I would just like to check if any one used the installation offer from the supplier.
    two seperate lawns including trying to cross a tarmacadem drive with concrete edges.

No simple answer other than the mower needs a clear path to everywhere it needs to go. No steps allowed. A cm or so is all you should force it to go over.

If you have long narrow sections or areas that the mower is unlikely to find of its own accord then you will need to run a guide wire into that spot and the 430 only has 2 guide wires so you need to map out the lawn and decide how you are going to lay the whole thing out before you start. You want to lay it once only and limit the amount of joins you have in the wire.

If you are going across the tarmac it means you will have to cut a slot in the tarmac to recess the wire into it. Are you willing to do that?

Its hard to give exact advice unless you see the full layout.

If you draw a sketch and post it up I'd be happy to comment as may others.

The installation from local dealer for me was €250 for 2,200 sqm. They have a machined that lays the cable in the ground - assume it only really works on grass so your tarmac may still be an issue.
    Also, with the two different lawns, you have to manually move the mower - just to make sure you're aware?

The installation from local dealer for me was €250 for 2,200 sqm. They have a machined that lays the cable in the ground - assume it only really works on grass so your tarmac may still be an issue.
    Also, with the two different lawns, you have to manually move the mower - just to make sure you're aware?

Personally, if I had two separate lawns that I could not get the mower to navigate between on its own, I probably wouldnt have bought the robot.

Its not really practical to have to manually move the mower between lawns, or at least it takes the good out of having a robot if you do.

You would have to manually move it, then wait for the battery to go dead, then bring it back for a charge, then take it back over again once its charged to keep cutting and repeat until you are satisfied with the cut and keep doing that all summer.... thats not worth it in my opinion.

For me, either the robot can cover it all, with maybe a few small sections that can be covered with a strimmer or a small push lawnmower, or dont bother with the robot at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Tubber Man

Hi Guys, Thanks for reply. I feel I can get the better of the obstacles but waiting for the supplier to drop by and get his opinion. I think it will be workable but I'll be very disappointed if I have to give it a miss. I'll have to put on my MacIver hat.
    Cheers.

• Registered Users Posts: 421 ✭✭zetor 4911

Tubber Man wrote: »

Hi Tubber Man,
    Was also thinking of the 430 but I am in the same boat as yourself with 2 laws divided by a tarmac drive way and concrete kerbs along the driveway. Would be interested to know how you get around this.

• Advertisement

Personally, if I had two separate lawns that I could not get the mower to navigate between on its own, I probably wouldnt have bought the robot.

Its not really practical to have to manually move the mower between lawns, or at least it takes the good out of having a robot if you do.

You would have to manually move it, then wait for the battery to go dead, then bring it back for a charge, then take it back over again once its charged to keep cutting and repeat until you are satisfied with the cut and keep doing that all summer.... thats not worth it in my opinion.

For me, either the robot can cover it all, with maybe a few small sections that can be covered with a strimmer or a small push lawnmower, or dont bother with the robot at all.
    Yeh totally agree...the marketing material suggests you can get a second automower, which is impractical given the cost or have multi-areas and manually move - which to your point negates having the robot at all.

Mine is getting on well so far - gets stuck in a small passage between out back and front but have the cable on order and awaiting delivery to sort out the guide wires.

Advertisement