Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Civil Defence - afs or casualty?

• 08-12-2015 8:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8

I'm not sure whether to join the afs or casualty service. The afs is a bit of a put off because they don't do much but train apparently and rarely get duties. If anyone has any insight or opinions that would be helpful, thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 34 Hammer15

I'm not sure whether to join the afs or casualty service. The afs is a bit of a put off because they don't do much but train apparently and rarely get duties. If anyone has any insight or opinions that would be helpful, thanks!

Hi Gareth,

I've been in both units on the Civil Defence and could give good or bad points on both, but it's in relation to what you want to learn?

The AFS train a lot yes, but depending on where you're based depends on the number of local duties and events you cover. Eg Nutgrove and I believe Clondalken AFS provide fire cover for all events held in Tallaght Stadium, alongside Casualty who provide first aid and medical cover here too.

For the likes of the Aviva Stadium, a number of units come together and work alongside each other providing cover for events there. These are just a number of examples.

Have you contacted your local CD office yet? Let me know where your based and I'll get you a number.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,100 ✭✭✭ectoraige

What are the reasons you joined? Are you looking at it as a career move, looking to learn useful skills, or just wanted to do something different? If you're hoping to join the fire brigade, then AFS looks good on your CV - I know firefighters all have medical training these days, but outside of Dublin there isn't as big an emphasis on this.

Casualty is probably the one area you are likely to use your skills in your personal life - whether it's dealing with a child's playground tumble or a seriously ill relative, you'll be grateful for the confidence to intervene.

You should speak with the CD officer in your area, they will be able to tell you more about your options.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 garethoreilly

I want to join the guards so I was advised to volunteer plus the civil defence is just so diverse I thought it would be great to get into, thanks for the info!

• Registered Users Posts: 8 garethoreilly

Hammer15 wrote: »
    Hi Gareth,

I've been in both units on the Civil Defence and could give good or bad points on both, but it's in relation to what you want to learn?

The AFS train a lot yes, but depending on where you're based depends on the number of local duties and events you cover. Eg Nutgrove and I believe Clondalken AFS provide fire cover for all events held in Tallaght Stadium, alongside Casualty who provide first aid and medical cover here too.

For the likes of the Aviva Stadium, a number of units come together and work alongside each other providing cover for events there. These are just a number of examples.

Have you contacted your local CD office yet? Let me know where your based and I'll get you a number.

Well I'd love to join the afs, just looks like great fun and it's not a skill you can pick up many places but I'm currently a recruit in Waterford but i have to decide what unit to join soon.

We were training yesterday and they said they're bringing a rescue class back on a different night so I'll probably join the afs as I can do that as well as search and rescue.

I'm originally from Clondalkin and in Waterford for college so once I move back I could transfer there! Thanks!:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 904 ✭✭✭yourpics

I am also weighing up whether to join AFS or Casualty. I don't have any professional ambitions in these areas but I am interested in most aspects of CD and I am finding it difficult to pick one!

AFS provide fire cover for many events. They are also called in for flooding and for gorse fires.

Can anyone give me an insight into the typical training and topics one would cover in the Casualty Section and the general time scales involved. Thanks

• Advertisement
Advertisement