Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Milk Price III

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,451 ✭✭✭jaymla627

Mortelaro wrote: »
    Thing is,that vote was like Brexit
    They usually are
    The grey vote won it...

Only 2400 votes where cast and it got a 93% majority, if active dairy co-op members had read the fine print and voted against it, it would of been easily voted down, for the 10k it was worth to lads on average in the shares spinout it, multiples of it have been lost by suppliers since through milk price

• Registered Users Posts: 29,078 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

I assume ye got the glanbia text of a new fixed price scheme at 31cpl. I say why don't they just pay the proper price on the day and then no need for makey up schemes. No wonder they didn't increase price yesterday

• Registered Users Posts: 4,843 ✭✭✭mf240

Have to buy inputs off them to get it.

mf240 wrote: »

I didn't read the full text yet. I'm on the front line ensuring they have milk tomorrow

• Registered Users Posts: 8,611 ✭✭✭Mooooo

Lakeland are at 30.31

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,556 ✭✭✭simx

Have to buy 0.5 cent/litre of your annual supply worth of inputs to qualify some joke

simx wrote: »
    Have to buy 0.5 cent/litre of your annual supply worth of inputs to qualify some joke

When does the fixed price be paid? Do you have to have spent the specific amount and then get it?

simx wrote: »

It's five cent. :eek::eek:

Yup about 40k worth for me

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Mortelaro

Isn't the top 0.75c trading 'bonus' already contingent on a 7cpl spend?
    At least half glanbia suppliers would be at that level of trading last year and more than likely all of the continuous fixed milk price contractee's

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 407 ✭✭liosnagceann75

Kerry unchanged at 29.5 ffs

• Registered Users Posts: 307 ✭✭oxjkqg

Kerry unchanged at 29.5 ffs

Jesus christ almightey.
    There would want to be 1 serious bit of good news from the meeting between Coop and the PLC today.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,069 ✭✭✭✭mahoney_j

Saying it all year more so last 3/4 months coop boards and management are getting an incredibly soft ride ,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

oxjkqg wrote: »
    Jesus christ almightey.
    There would want to be 1 serious bit of good news from the meeting between Coop and the PLC today.

The PLC are digging in for a long fight over this. Apparently one of the senior PLC men went luminous when he heard the result a few months ago, nearly choked on his caviar, poor lad:D

• Registered Users Posts: 307 ✭✭oxjkqg

The PLC are digging in for a long fight over this. Apparently one of the senior PLC men went luminous when he heard the result a few months ago, nearly choked on his caviar, poor lad:D

Jesus! Some disaster by all accounts. I suppose the west cork coops will pay 37 or 38 cent a litre base this month

• Registered Users Posts: 476 ✭✭Keep Sluicing

oxjkqg wrote: »
    Jesus! Some disaster by all accounts. I suppose the west cork coops will pay 37 or 38 cent a litre base this month

They'll round it up to 40 :)

Plus vat

whelan2 wrote: »
    Plus vat

From your keyboards to Gods ears:p

I was at the meeting on Kerry arbitration last night and the news was positive. For the first time since 2015, the PLC are engaging positively and the meeting yesterday was described as positive by the top table last night and another meeting is scheduled for next Thursday.

If there isn't progress made, the feeling is that it will be straight back to the arbitrator. The figure being disputed is 1.4c/l for 2015 and Kerry already paid 0.6c/l as a top up so there's around 0.8c/l being discussed here.

If agreement is reached on the figure without needing to go back to the arbitrator then the suspended arbitration for 2016 and 2017 should be quickly agreed and the figures for 2018 and 2019 soon after as well.

The downside is that income tax will be due at your marginal tax rate for the year you receive it so hopefully some will be paid next year to soften the blow some bit. There's no word about any interest due on the outstanding figures as yet though one audience member suggested a refund of all interest charged on accounts since 2015 but that wouldn't be fair on suppliers who have left since arbitration has begun.

The whole case seemed to have swung on a contradiction in Kerrys definition of processor. Kerry made the case that, as the West Cork co-ops don't process milk themselves, they shouldn't be included in the comparison. However, it seems that the entity buying milk from farmers, Kerry Creameries Ltd, sells the purchased milk onto the PLC for processing so itself doesn't process milk either. In all its press releases, KCL used the phrase 'other processors' which indicated that it considered itself an de facto milk processor so therefor should consider the West Cork Co-ops processors also.

The arbitration ruling also means that if Kerry wish to exclude a portion of milk price paid by other processors, it must show forensically that what they claim is true and can be shown from the accounts of the other participant. So hearsay cannot be used, it must be based on facts.

Sorry about not answering the PMs, folks, it was easier to do it this way.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭awaywithyou

I was at the meeting on Kerry arbitration last night and the news was positive. For the first time since 2015, the PLC are engaging positively and the meeting yesterday was described as positive by the top table last night and another meeting is scheduled for next Thursday.

If there isn't progress made, the feeling is that it will be straight back to the arbitrator. The figure being disputed is 1.4c/l for 2015 and Kerry already paid 0.6c/l as a top up so there's around 0.8c/l being discussed here.

If agreement is reached on the figure without needing to go back to the arbitrator then the suspended arbitration for 2016 and 2017 should be quickly agreed and the figures for 2018 and 2019 soon after as well.

The downside is that income tax will be due at your marginal tax rate for the year you receive it so hopefully some will be paid next year to soften the blow some bit. There's no word about any interest due on the outstanding figures as yet though one audience member suggested a refund of all interest charged on accounts since 2015 but that wouldn't be fair on suppliers who have left since arbitration has begun.

The whole case seemed to have swung on a contradiction in Kerrys definition of processor. Kerry made the case that, as the West Cork co-ops don't process milk themselves, they shouldn't be included in the comparison. However, it seems that the entity buying milk from farmers, Kerry Creameries Ltd, sells the purchased milk onto the PLC for processing so itself doesn't process milk either. In all its press releases, KCL used the phrase 'other processors' which indicated that it considered itself an de facto milk processor so therefor should consider the West Cork Co-ops processors also.

The arbitration ruling also means that if Kerry wish to exclude a portion of milk price paid by other processors, it must show forensically that what they claim is true and can be shown from the accounts of the other participant. So hearsay cannot be used, it must be based on facts.

Sorry about not answering the PMs, folks, it was easier to do it this way.

Was there myself... the revelation that an employee from teagasc gave evidence AGAINST farmers getting a top up on milk price at arbitration hearing was some shock....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,927 ✭✭✭alps

Was there myself... the revelation that an employee from teagasc gave evidence AGAINST farmers getting a top up on milk price at arbitration hearing was some shock....

Revelation, suggestion or allegation?

You can't just leave us hanging out there on a comment like that...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,927 ✭✭✭alps

I

Wow....you only see that type of stuff in movies....

I think that was overplayed a bit, tbh. Teagasc gave evidence on a specific point or points during the Kerry presentation that Kerry felt would support their case. From my understanding, it wouldn't be unusual for senior people in similar organisations to give similar presentations.

The fact that the Co-op was on the other side of the table is incidental, I think?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,244 ✭✭✭Gawddawggonnit

Terra Lacta.

Nov to end of year.
    37cpl + vat base price for 3.2pr and 3.8bf.
    A further 2.5cpl + vat into a rainy day fund...

Chief, if this is too depressing, please delete.

* Organic goats milk is 128cpl + vat until the end of the year...surely there must be an opportunity there for enterprising farmers?

• Registered Users Posts: 14 Tobleronemad

Hello everyone, I’m kinda new here and haven’t a clue about this 13th payment. I’ve read a lot of the posts but in layman’s terms please, can someone tell me what is a Kerry supplier owed for the past years in 13th payments? As in does it look like we are owed 1 cent, 2 cents, 3 cents etc. Thanks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Mortelaro

Terra Lacta.

Nov to end of year.
    37cpl + vat base price for 3.2pr and 3.8bf.
    A further 2.5cpl + vat into a rainy day fund...

Chief, if this is too depressing, please delete.

* Organic goats milk is 128cpl + vat until the end of the year...surely there must be an opportunity there for enterprising farmers?

https://www.dairyglobal.net/Milking/Articles/2019/11/Glanbia-Irelands-number-one-milk-processor-in-the-spotlight-497763E/

It's ok Gawd..
    Our glanbia chairman says we should be paid less because our costs are less...
    So that's the reason

I definitely have heard it all now...

Will the Irish milk price remain lower than prices in the rest of the European Union?

“Probably, yes. Our product mix determines our milk price. We do not have a large consumer market behind us, which pays a lot better than the commodity market for which we produce. Over 90% must leave the island, which leads to additional costs. We aim for 3,2% profit after taxes. That is far more challenging than on the continent and puts pressure on the milk price compared to our competitors. These extra costs ensure that we always have to pay several cents per kilogramme less, but we can explain that perfectly. Our farmers have lower costs due to the seasonal milk production system. Farmers that produce all year round milk receive an additional bonus during the winter months and this milk price would be similar to a continental price.”

He's getting 100 k a year he's hardly going to make the mistake of standing up for farmers.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,069 ✭✭✭✭mahoney_j

https://www.dairyglobal.net/Milking/Articles/2019/11/Glanbia-Irelands-number-one-milk-processor-in-the-spotlight-497763E/

It's ok Gawd..
    So that's the reason

Will the Irish milk price remain lower than prices in the rest of the European Union?

“Probably, yes. Our product mix determines our milk price. We do not have a large consumer market behind us, which pays a lot better than the commodity market for which we produce. Over 90% must leave the island, which leads to additional costs. We aim for 3,2% profit after taxes. That is far more challenging than on the continent and puts pressure on the milk price compared to our competitors. These extra costs ensure that we always have to pay several cents per kilogramme less, but we can explain that perfectly. Our farmers have lower costs due to the seasonal milk production system. Farmers that produce all year round milk receive an additional bonus during the winter months and this milk price would be similar to a continental price.”

Our lower costs due to our seasonal production system ,grass to milk etc what a fookin ass .said it many times our milk production isn’t cheap ,grass is little advantage .profit monitors tegasc etc are telling us for years about our huge advantages from our production systems it’s nevee reflected in a positive milk price over a supposed inferior indoor system then u have profit monitor figures chucked out yearly that take no accurate account of farmers own time been paid for ,land charge capital repayments in loans etc that article shows how it’s now been used as a stick to beat is with by processors ,retail etc

• Registered Users Posts: 981 ✭✭✭einn32

It's ok Gawd..
    So that's the reason

He doesn't want quotas back but he also talks about manipulating milk price to ease the supply and controlling bull type on dairy farms to help the beef sector. Then brings in total refusal to process some milk! Imagine ramping up to have your milk sent back to the farm! The ending is a classic. We need our profit so the farmer has to take the lower milk price. Anyway the cost of production is low so they'll be grand!

• Advertisement

Hello everyone, I’m kinda new here and haven’t a clue about this 13th payment. I’ve read a lot of the posts but in layman’s terms please, can someone tell me what is a Kerry supplier owed for the past years in 13th payments? As in does it look like we are owed 1 cent, 2 cents, 3 cents etc. Thanks.

At the minute, suppliers are owed approx 0.8c/l for 2015 milk(0.6c/l paid in 2016), 1.7c/l for 2016 milk, 1.8c/l on 2017, 2.2c/l on 2018 milk and 2.3c/l on 2019 milk.

It's hoped/expected that an announcement for the 2015 milk top up will be made next Thursday afternoon and hopefully the rest of the disputed top up fairly soon afterwards.

If substantial progress isn't made next Thursday, the dispute will return to the arbitrator to settle and the result of that will be fairly quick, in the next few weeks But hopefully agreement will be made next week as agreement will have to be made between the parties for each year going forward.

Advertisement