Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Beef AI/Bulls MEGATHREAD

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,747 ✭✭✭Mac Taylor

Probably not worth it if you are working. Might get 100 more for a chx calf but thats only 2k over 20 cows and if you are not there with them it would be easy lose a few. Don't think I would call any ch bull easy calving compared to lims. Mine were great to get up and suck once I managed to get them out but that wouldn't be normal for charolais either.

That’s what I’d be afraid of, I think I’ll stick to what I know!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,918 ✭✭✭Hard Knocks

Mac Taylor wrote: »
    I wouldn’t mind using a ch but working full time puts me off using one. It would have to be easy calving and lively calf’s at birth. How do lads find ch?

I find the CH can be as hard calved as the LM
    CH seams to have shorter gestation than the LM and to get a good calf most Good LM bulls are 7%+ cd
    Feeding cow and matching bull to cow are key
    I used CH4061 & CH2195 on second calvers, GPD, FSZ & CH2178 on mature and thankful all calved themselves and sucked by time I got from work

• Registered Users Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭squinn2912

I find the CH can be as hard calved as the LM
    CH seams to have shorter gestation than the LM and to get a good calf most Good LM bulls are 7%+ cd
    Feeding cow and matching bull to cow are key
    I used CH4061 & CH2195 on second calvers, GPD, FSZ & CH2178 on mature and thankful all calved themselves and sucked by time I got from work

That’s very good going. I agree there are plenty of ch bulls that are no harder to calve than lims. How would you get your replacements? Some lims have as much milk as the ch these days

• Registered Users Posts: 405 ✭✭Donegalforever

Has anyone used Dromanig King LM4302?

On paper heifers out of him should be a good bet for keeping as suckler cows.
    He is Docile, and is described as from an Exceptional Dam with Incredible Milk and Fertility in Dovea 2019 Beef Directory.

squinn2912 wrote: »
    That’s very good going. I agree there are plenty of ch bulls that are no harder to calve than lims. How would you get your replacements? Some lims have as much milk as the ch these days

We’re 109% AI here, For replacement I use SI
    You take the hit if you get a bull

• Advertisement

Do you use a programme? We’d try to bull heifers to ai usually sim, he and this year tried sh. Wouldn’t try a blue with many heifers. Often they have to be sent to our own bull anyway and for what you’d make up on calf quality (if anything) you’d lose on dates slipping.

• Registered Users Posts: 820 ✭✭✭Sugarbowl

Do you use a programme? We’d try to bull heifers to ai usually sim, he and this year tried sh. Wouldn’t try a blue with many heifers. Often they have to be sent to our own bull anyway and for what you’d make up on calf quality (if anything) you’d lose on dates slipping.

What SI bull do you put into your heifers?

Sugarbowl wrote: »
    What SI bull do you put into your heifers?

Fifty cent he’s been put into 4 in the last week. Tried some spring girls with him too but don’t think any held

• Registered Users Posts: 9,201 ✭✭✭tanko

Has anyone used Dromanig King LM4302?

On paper heifers out of him should be a good bet for keeping as suckler cows.
    He is Docile, and is described as from an Exceptional Dam with Incredible Milk and Fertility in Dovea 2019 Beef Directory.

Have two cows due to him next spring, he looks good on paper. His sire Cerberus has a poor reputation for docility hopefully that won't be the case with him.

I don't thing you take much of a hit with Sim bulls/bullocks compared to Lim bulls/bullocks anyway. Have been using Sim Bulls for a few years here to try and improve the milk situation with the Lim cows.
    The bullocks sell well as stores and kill out at U=/U- grades mostly at good weights.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,027 ✭✭✭DukeCaboom

I've a few si heifers here, was hoping to stick a PG saler straw in them. My main fear is docilty. Is there any Saler I should stay away from.

The other option I was looking at for them was Grenache the lm bull, anyone have any experience with him.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,037 ✭✭✭Who2

I use two bulls here, a 5 star maternal 4 star terminal limo and a 4 star terminal 1 star maternal ch at 13% cd. I work full time and these days I see the cows for twenty minutes most evenings and ten in the mornings. I was 50/50 spring autumn but this year the autumn calvers are finished. I like roan lm x cows but from watching how cattle have done over the years the only constant are the ch out of lm cows. I’ve a nice batch of 15 heifers that will go to the bull this coming spring and another of the same coming behind them from last spring so should have a good uniform bunch of cows. The lm bull is still young but I’ll have too many of his own heifers so he’s going and my ch bull has gone way too heavy 1.25 ton so this is his last year. I’m going to go with as much ai as possible (mainly ch and a few lm) and the ch bull will hopefully clean up. The only bother I can see is I’ve a few of the musclier type cows that usually can’t take ch but I don’t want rid of so I’m hoping they take ai early.

tanko wrote: »
    I don't thing you take much of a hit with Sim bulls/bullocks compared to Lim bulls/bullocks anyway. Have been using Sim Bulls for a few years here to try and improve the milk situation with the Lim cows.
    The bullocks sell well as stores and kill out at U=/U- grades mostly at good weights.

I think that’s true with a sim with a lot of lim breeding in him. The more sim you get I don’t think they kill out as well. Fantastic growers but not the same kill out

DukeCaboom wrote: »
    I've a few si heifers here, was hoping to stick a PG saler straw in them. My main fear is docilty. Is there any Saler I should stay away from.

The other option I was looking at for them was Grenache the lm bull, anyone have any experience with him.

Haven't used Grenache, he looks very easy calving on paper anyway, he's €25 a straw tho so will be €45 for a technician service i'd imagine.

Have used Highfield Odran SA2153 here a good bit, good docility with him i think.

tanko wrote: »
    We sell as weanlings, compared to herd mates €100 against LM and €200+ against CH for similar quality

• Registered Users Posts: 955 ✭✭✭john mayo 10

I have a nice Lm heifer born last January by EBY out of a ch/sim x cow. Was hoping to bull her in the spring. What's his progeny like as replacements. His daughters milk stats are poor enough

Used SFL years ago on a dairy cross, super bull
    Problem with AI is heat detection, have let cows slip
    Have used CIDRs to good effect
    AIDS like Heat Seekers and tail paint are useful

Used SFL years ago on a dairy cross, super bull
    Problem with AI is heat detection, have let cows slip
    Have used CIDRs to good effect
    AIDS like Heat Seekers and tail paint are useful

What bull is SFL?
    Used CIDRs two years ago. Useless. The paint was a good enough job though and just estrumate got the job done this time. Here’s hoping they all hold

What bull is SFL?
    Used CIDRs two years ago. Useless. The paint was a good enough job though and just estrumate got the job done this time. Here’s hoping they all hold
    SFL was a BB bull in Bova
    Very easily calved
    Offspring had good size

Very easily calved
    Offspring had good size

Ah right looks a lovely bull. Would you have used him on heifers?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭Limestone Cowboy

Very easily calved
    Offspring had good size

Show lads madlooking for his straws now. Think he was the only bb ai bull in Ireland that carried the red gene.

• Registered Users Posts: 921 ✭✭✭RobinBanks

Show lads madlooking for his straws now. Think he was the only bb ai bull in Ireland that carried the red gene.

They are all moving onto this lad now. K Genetics can supply straws of him. Noticed aswell a few hybrid bulls offered for sale now. Crossbred Roan BB/LM bulls. Everyone wants the Roan colored calves now. its the current fad.

I have a nice Lm heifer born last January by EBY out of a ch/sim x cow. Was hoping to bull her in the spring. What's his progeny like as replacements. His daughters milk stats are poor enough

It depends on the heifer i suppose, have had a few EBY calves here, they're smaller than average but can have super muscle and shape but can lack length and there's very little milk in his breeding.
    Didn't keep any heifers off him, if your ch/sim cow is big with loads of milk the heifer might work out ok but overall i wouldn't be keeping heifers off EBY for breeding.

Ah right looks a lovely bull. Would you have used him on heifers?
    Yes a SIxHO which I bought to put on a cow
    Sold him at 11 months 450kg for €1350 ( I miss those prices)
    No issue calving

Great colour alright and width in the hip, ideal for keeping replacements

• Registered Users Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭Limestone Cowboy

RobinBanks wrote: »
    They are all moving onto this lad now. K Genetics can supply straws of him. Noticed aswell a few hybrid bulls offered for sale now. Crossbred Roan BB/LM bulls. Everyone wants the Roan colored calves now. its the current fad.

He's 70e a straw tho.

He's 70e a straw tho.

Money no object to the show man. Just look at the recent Martin O’Connor sale in Elphin. Crazy prices

Yes a SIxHO which I bought to put on a cow
    Sold him at 11 months 450kg for €1350 ( I miss those prices)
    No issue calving

I bought 5 of them last year. Got 2 bulled to hitman a blue bull. Augh something. I hope they hold and one might have. Trying to go ai cost me about 2 months. Ended up about 30% hit rate. I tried CIDR and injection and paint checking them half the day. Wee sh, he or aa bull would be easier

• Registered Users Posts: 1,299 ✭✭✭Anto_Meath

I bought 5 of them last year. Got 2 bulled to hitman a blue bull. Augh something. I hope they hold and one might have. Trying to go ai cost me about 2 months. Ended up about 30% hit rate. I tried CIDR and injection and paint checking them half the day. Wee sh, he or aa bull would be easier

I had a wee BBx bullock running with my cows this year, he pick up everone of them the minute they were on heat and I had them Ai'ed as soon as I could after that, out of 20 only 2 repeated. I am think of going down the Moo Call heat detection route next year, But there is something about them cross bred blues they are brilliant and picking up cows in heat.

• Advertisement

I remember years ago progressive genetics had a blue bull ELZ. I used him on 3 cows, 2 of the cows were black Lims the other was a red lim. Everyone of them had red/white calves, but they were horrible pigs of things. I wonder are there straws of him about?

Advertisement