Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

I'd buy that for a $: Retro bargains

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,057 ✭✭✭MontgomeryClift

I'll be all over one of them but my arcade is under construction.
    Ive also just been in this house 4months and I've brought in 2 new machines all ready..........

That's what houses are for. No more guilt.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,593 ✭✭✭BGOllie

there's 16 machines in my house, 15 of which are mine :D
    Although having sheds does help :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,780 ✭✭✭eddhorse

BGOllie wrote: »
    there's 16 machines in my house, 15 of which are mine :D
    Although having sheds does help :)

Lol hoarder

• Registered Users Posts: 34,417 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Nice 20 inch 4:3 trini over on adverts

https://www.adverts.ie/arcade-retro/sony-trinitron-flat-screen-crt/19205223

Guy seems to be offloading all his retro gaming gear too.

Master of the Universe

Anyone ever fancy buying a Silent Scope rifle from an arcade machine to try and mod?

Seems like a good deal, £87 for the whole lot with a working scope LCD.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Silent-scope-Arcade-Konami-Genuine-Gun-Sniper-And-Base-Fatal-Judgment-2/123889296118?hash=item1cd860a2f6:g:vRwAAOSw87RaxTxi

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,528 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

o1s1n wrote: »
    Nice 20 inch 4:3 trini over on adverts

https://www.adverts.ie/arcade-retro/sony-trinitron-flat-screen-crt/19205223

Guy seems to be offloading all his retro gaming gear too.

He seems to be shooting for the moon with those prices though!

Master of the Universe

Yeah they're not cheap, few lovely things in there though - an RGB modded 2600 for one! (so now you can see all three pixels in each game with extra clarity)

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 5,381 Mod ✭✭✭✭Optimus Prime

Anyone ever fancy buying a Silent Scope rifle from an arcade machine to try and mod?

Seems like a good deal, £87 for the whole lot with a working scope LCD.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Silent-scope-Arcade-Konami-Genuine-Gun-Sniper-And-Base-Fatal-Judgment-2/123889296118?hash=item1cd860a2f6:g:vRwAAOSw87RaxTxi

The guy i bought the Sega Rallys off had a silent scope cab, it was one where you win money for playing it though? It was gold coloured cab.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,528 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Yeah they're not cheap, few lovely things in there though - an RGB modded 2600 for one! (so now you can see all three pixels in each game with extra clarity)

A what?
    I've a composite modded 2600.... Seems to be clear enough!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,950 ✭✭✭Doge

Excellent, did you pick up the Megadrive pad? Interested in hearing what you think of it!

It arrived yesterday. Apparently theres much higher latency with the Bluetooth one compared to 2.4ghz wireless one,
    But I was playing Revenge of Shinobi briefly on my android phone with it and it felt amazing and I didn't notice the latency.

I'm sure they'll be fine unless you're speed runner.

Don't have time to do a proper post ATM. And I still have to order the wireless receiver for the mega drive.

I ordered twice by mistake and instead of refunding one they refunded both. Lol

Going to order them on singles day.

Why are the super Nintendo ones so expensive though? 33 euro for 1?

The SF30 Pro is much cheaper.

• Advertisement

The Switch controllers are supposed to be pairable now, in Android 10...
    I must give it a whirl with my OnePlus 6, it recently updated to that version

• Registered Users Posts: 4,215 ✭✭✭KeRbDoG

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    A what?
    I've a composite modded 2600.... Seems to be clear enough!
    But surely if you modify a "collectible" console it becomes less collectible as it wasn't kept original?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,184 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

The Switch controllers are supposed to be pairable now, in Android 10...
    I must give it a whirl with my OnePlus 6, it recently updated to that version

DualShock 4 is also compatible with Android 10 I believe.

I miss the DualShock compatibility of the Xperia Z3/5 phones. I wish my Honor 10 was on Android 10 so I could emulate stuff at work...

Z4XyW61.jpg

Master of the Universe

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Super-Famicom-Box-Console-Nintendo-JPN-Mario-5Games-No-Key-Untested-Free-Ship/254243128002

A Super Famicom hotel box thingy for €315 delivered from Japan. Seems like a bit of a steal.

Master of the Universe

Would love to know what happened to feck it up so much, I'd assumed they were hard as nails metal boxes!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭Inviere

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Super-Famicom-Box-Console-Nintendo-JPN-Mario-5Games-No-Key-Untested-Free-Ship/254243128002

A Super Famicom hotel box thingy for €315 delivered from Japan. Seems like a bit of a steal.

Safe enough to assume 'untested' means broken, as it usually always does in my experience. I mean, plug it in and see if it powers on :confused:

Master of the Universe

Inviere wrote: »
    Safe enough to assume 'untested' means broken, as it usually always does in my experience. I mean, plug it in and see if it powers on :confused:

Actually that might explain the cheaper price :(

Actually that might explain the cheaper price :(

Option A - advertise it as non working, and take a hit on the price.
    Option B - advertise it as 'untested' (ingeniously) and make the price attractive.
    Option C - advertise it as 'untested' (genuinely), and potentially lose out on money.

I dunno, I'm just very cynical when it comes to stuff marked untested. I mean all you 've to do is plug it in and connect it to a tv to check. I don't know of very many people who wouldn't bother doing that, and be able to make more money from a sale in doing so.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,717 ✭✭✭The Last Bandit

Ya untested is typically broken.. broken I can deal with, its when parts have been stripped off I get annoyed...

I usually check what else the vendor is selling or sold recently, if its tea-cosy's and a Daniel O'Donnell tape then there is a good chance the console has been found in the cupboard and genuinely untested.

However, if they're selling other consoles.... its borked.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,772 ✭✭✭Jack burton

sugarman wrote: »
    Yeah same, although it depends, theres certain sellers in Japan i've taken a gamble on for dirt cheap gameboys and controllers and such that just needed a good cleaning inside and out marked as untested / parts. A lot just shift a massive volume of product and genuinely dont have the time to test each and every one, particularly low value items..

Famicons are a good example, they go for about a tenner shipped untested because theyve no LED indicator to even show theyre getting power and they only have RF out.

Gameboys with screen burn too, 99% fine apart from the screen which is a quick fix or can simply be swapped out for now widely available backlit screens.

I usually check the Japanese junk listings and if something is dirty then potentially worth the gamble. A clean as a whistle "untested" machine is usually a no no

• Advertisement

https://www.hotukdeals.com/deals/pandora-box-6-wooden-double-screened-diy-mini-arcade-bartop-18565-using-promo-stack-at-aliexpress-deals-pandoras-box-official-3328733
    Might be useful to someone here, looks like a good price for what you get, two player bartop with a Pandora for £185

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 3,180 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dr Bob

Ya untested is typically broken.. broken I can deal with, its when parts have been stripped off I get annoyed...

I usually check what else the vendor is selling or sold recently, if its tea-cosy's and a Daniel O'Donnell tape then there is a good chance the console has been found in the cupboard and genuinely untested.

However, if they're selling other consoles.... its borked.
    yup
    If the seller has all the powersupplies/ cables etc from working machines in other ads it's usually a given that its knackered.
    I've bought untested before from non console sellers and usually 9/10 times it's either worked or worked with a little TLC .

Master of the Universe

Not exactly A&R so apologies (!) but seems like too good a deal for people to pass up

A lifetime VPN subscription going on over in bargain alerts for €14

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2058029427

Just tried it there and it works perfectly for US Netflix.

Actually, US Netflix has the original Super Mario Bros show, so there's your A&R link. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,906 ✭✭✭CosmicSmash

Inviere wrote: »
    Option A - advertise it as non working, and take a hit on the price.
    Option B - advertise it as 'untested' (ingeniously) and make the price attractive.
    Option C - advertise it as 'untested' (genuinely), and potentially lose out on money.

I dunno, I'm just very cynical when it comes to stuff marked untested. I mean all you 've to do is plug it in and connect it to a tv to check. I don't know of very many people who wouldn't bother doing that, and be able to make more money from a sale in doing so.

I've had a guy on Adverts question why I was selling a Atari 2600 as untested when all my other ads were for games and consoles and a PSU was only a fiver. The reason it was being sold as untested was because it was genuinely untested and priced accordingly, it came from a colleague in work and I didn't know its history.

I would have also needed to purchase a game to test it with as I had sold my 2600 collection years ago. I was going to explain this to the potential buyer but on further reflection I just blocked him instead, sometimes it just not worth the hassle.

My PSX was sold to me as borked, and at the low low price of, I think it was €60.
    Took home, plugged in the the step-down... worked!
    Best bargain in my collection.
    The seller was pretty gracious about it too, especially when he other, non-borked one, turned out to be definitely borked.

Master of the Universe

Yeah I suppose the trick is just to see what else the seller is selling.

If it's loads of odds and ends with no gaming stuff, they either haven't tested it or else tested it incorrectly (Ie - tried to connect the RF cable with it and didnt tune it properly)

I've yet to buy a cart based console (that I can think of anyway) which was totally borked.

I've had a guy on Adverts question why I was selling a Atari 2600 as untested when all my other ads were for games and consoles and a PSU was only a fiver. The reason it was being sold as untested was because it was genuinely untested and priced accordingly, it came from a colleague in work and I didn't know its history.

I would have also needed to purchase a game to test it with as I had sold my 2600 collection years ago. I was going to explain this to the potential buyer but on further reflection I just blocked him instead, sometimes it just not worth the hassle.

That's a bit different though, it was an incomplete item (missing a psu), and you'd no games to test it on. So quite rightly, you priced it accordingly and listed it as untested, for a valid reason. It just wouldn't make sense to buy psu's and games to test something. I'm fairly sure I've done the very same thing before with Ataris
    My PSX was sold to me as borked, and at the low low price of, I think it was €60.
    Took home, plugged in the the step-down... worked!
    Best bargain in my collection.
    The seller was pretty gracious about it too, especially when he other, non-borked one, turned out to be definitely borked.

Again though, there was a valid reason there - the seller had no step down so couldn't test it. The guy in Japan selling a Japanese Hotel SFC (which presumably is doesn't have an external psu for hotel reasons) wouldn't appear to have a valid reason, as I imagine you'd only need a kettle lead type power chord to power it up. Ok he might not have any carts to play on it, but for a high value item, most people with pick up a .50c cart to see if it works.

Low value items as untested makes sense, not really higher value stuff though.

Bubble Bobble Galaxy for sale on Adverts.
    Runs on the DS.
    http://www.adverts.ie/13317885

Nice thing is it works on the Taito Paddle controller, which makes it even better.

Master of the Universe

Nice looking boxed Philips CRT monitor, would go well with an Amiga.

https://www.adverts.ie/arcade-retro/phillips-cm8833-ii-monitor-crt-perfect-condition/19249813

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,780 ✭✭✭eddhorse

Nice looking boxed Philips CRT monitor, would go well with an Amiga.

https://www.adverts.ie/arcade-retro/phillips-cm8833-ii-monitor-crt-perfect-condition/19249813

"Retro bargain" "€110"

Advertisement